Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I said I'd post a pic or two when I got my customized XD40 Tactical back from Tripp, so here they are. Barsto .40 barrel, MMC adjustable night sights, Barsto guide rod, trigger job by Tom Novak. Sorry the picture quality isn't better - I didn't have much time. :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
That kicks ass! I have the same gun and I'm wanting to do the exact same thing. How much $$$ if you don't mind me asking?
Also how are those MMC sights?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Including freight, I have around $1,300.00 in it now. I love it. The MMC sights are great, but not quite as bright as Trijicon. I have a Trijicon front sight coming today that I'll be installing. :lol:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'm going to take some good pics soon. The lighting was bad on these. :D

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Tripp does great work. I had my XD40 Cobra Coated and it came out great. Higly recommend them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again guys. I think my favorite part of my Tactical is the extra length of the Barsto barrel. It sticks out about 3/32" past the end of the slide. You can't really tell it by these pics, but the raised sides of the slide (along the frame) are brushed. Better pics will reveal that I hope.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I love the look of that gun. It's almost exactly what I want to do to mine. How much did the trigger job run?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The trigger job was $95.00 and included an overtravel stop. :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing another XD soon, probably a 5" Tactical in .357 Sig or .40. I'd like to get a 9mm barrel for it and whatever larger caliber I don't buy so I can shoot all three rounds.

Outside of that, should I also consider getting a Barsto barrel? What are the benefits? Any tradeoffs, outside of cost?

On a mostly unrelated side note, I've been looking over Rich Dettelhouser's custom smithing options and noticed the low-mount Bo-Mar installation for $250.00. I'm not familiar with these sights and have never shot with them, so I'm wondering if these come recommended? I'm looking for accuracy over acquisition speed, since this will primarily be a range piece, not a carry piece.

Lastly, between Tom Novak and Rich Dettelhouser, both seem to come highly recommended. Are there any considerations I should be aware of?

Thanks!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Meta4 -

I can't comment on Rich, since I've never had him do anything. Tom Novak has done really great work for me. I've had triggers done on 4 pistols (2 XDs, 1 HS2000, and 1 Kahr PM9) and I'm happy with all of them. The HS2000 actually came back to me a little bit too light (for carry). I sent it back to Tom and he heavied it up at no cost. He also fit my Barsto barrel on the XD40 Tactical.

I'm not sure about the Bomar sights. I got the MMC sights because I wanted night sights, but adjustable. The MMC sights aren't as bright, so I swapped out the front for a Trijicon. This actually works out great as it is brighter the the rear sights and makes aquisition faster. If I were buying MMC sights again, I'd simply buy the MMC rear and a Trijicon front sight.

As for the Barsto barrel... I haven't had the chance to shoot the Barsto and the factory barrel since I got everything completed. I'll let you know how they compare. The original barrel was very accurate when I shot it before having any work done. I doubt that the Barsto will be much better. However, any better is better. I like the look of the Barsto better than the original, as it protrudes about 3/32" past the end of the slide.

As for the different calibers, I'm a .40 S&W fan. I don't think the numbers (ballistcis) lie. That being said, I like 9mm and carry Corbon 125 grain hollow points in my HS2000 (434 ft. lbs energy). If you have the money to buy all the barrels, buy 'em. I stuck with the .40 because it's a great round and I already have a few 9mm pistols.

I had given some thought to waiting on an XD Tactical Pro in 45 GAP. After looking at the numbers (ballistics and magazine capacity), I couldn't figure out why anyone would prefer the 45 GAP to the .40. That's just my opinion though.

I hope I've helped a little. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts