Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got out to the range and had a very nice time. Managed to zero my irons and do my break in as suggested by BCM. Put 100 rounds thru it with no FTFs or FTEs. The rifle appears to be more accurate then I. I was able to put some of my follow up shots thru the first hole at 50 yards but not on a constant bases. My primary concerns were function, getting used to the rifle, breaking it in and zeroing my irons.

I have two concerns! First my BCG doesn't always lock back when the mag is empty. Second concern is my brass ejection. It appears to be ejecting some where in the area of 4:30-6:00 with some brass deflecting off the rifle it self. From the charts listed for ejection pattern it seems to suggest that either it's short stroking, my buffer and or my BCG is too heavy, or my my SSS spring needs tuning. This is my first rifle and I need help on where to start narrowing the problem down? Or is this a common when a rifle is first breaking in and all the new parts are learning to work together as they work out inperfections of machining or forming unions in order to function properly?
Thanks- Jason

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the details of my rifle and its components are located in the thread "My first build and rifle" in my signature link. If you need the specs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Fed value pack is in general under powered. Alway lube, clean, then lube again and use full powered ammo for break in.
I always hand cycle my action at least 100 times before going to the range.
Save the less expensive ammo for after break in.
You can also try a carbine buffer. The BCM probably came with an H or H2.
Dave

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
All the details of my rifle and its components are located in the thread "My first build and rifle" in my signature link. If you need the specs.
Hmm. Spikes Tactical ST-T2 Heavy Buffer, PWS buffer tube, and a heavy duty spring on a midlength gun shooting weak ammo. Sounds like a recipe for short stroking.

You seem to applied every know remedy for slowing down carbine cycling, on a rifle that probably has no problems. I have never used anything heavier than an H buffer or standard spring on my midlength.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hmm. Spikes Tactical ST-T2 Heavy Buffer, PWS buffer tube, and a heavy duty spring on a midlength gun shooting weak ammo. Sounds like a recipe for short stroking.

You seem to applied every know remedy for slowing down carbine cycling, on a rifle that probably has no problems. I have never used anything heavier than an H buffer or standard spring on my midlength.
I agree with Fdxpilot. My middies have run fine with carbine and H buffers, standard carbine receiver extensions, and plain-Jane carbine spings. I also have a rifle lower, and the two middy uppers I've run on that have worked fine, too. I know it costs money, but I'd recommend installing a BCM complete M4 stock kit on the lower and see where you are at that baseline configuration.

The gear you have is all way cool and trick and all that, but I don't think all the parts are playing well together. On the other hand, perhaps they're play too well together. The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input guys!
Yea I'm going to try going with a Carbine buffer and see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't do it I'll remove the PWS buffer tube and install my standard mil-spec buffer tube. If still no go I'll swap springs. If that doesn't do it I'll try a different BCG. But I'm sure I've just slowed everything down to much by the add ons. Now it's more finding the balance. Unfortunately all the rifle ranges are atleast an hour away so it will be a week or two before i can get back.
My buddy took a 18 sec video clip towards the end of my shooting and it looks like the shell is coming out at about 3-3:30ish but it still didn't lock back. It locked back sometimes and appeared to throw brass properly some of the time.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys!
Yea I'm going to try going with a Carbine buffer and see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't do it I'll remove the PWS buffer tube and install my standard mil-spec buffer tube. If still no go I'll swap springs. If that doesn't do it I'll try a different BCG. But I'm sure I've just slowed everything down to much by the add ons. Now it's more finding the balance. Unfortunately all the rifle ranges are atleast an hour away so it will be a week or two before i can get back.
My buddy took a 18 sec video clip towards the end of my shooting and it looks like the shell is coming out at about 3-3:30ish but it still didn't lock back. It locked back sometimes and appeared to throw brass properly some of the time.

Buffer first, then spring. Those are the cheapest and easiest to swap.
The only way that PWS tube would make a difference is if that "bumper" they put in it is preventing everything from completing the cycle.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea thats basically what I've decided to do. I also emailed PWS to see if it's a problem running that particular buffer tube on my non piston rifle. Hopefully they will get back to me soon. But since it was atleast locking back some of the time. I'm thinking that adding a carbine buffer will do the trick.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no clue what ammo I'm going to run yet. That was just some a buddy gave me so I used it up. I have 3 different other brands and grains to try. I'm going to pick up 5 or 6 more that I want to test out. Then I'll make a decision based on performance.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As far as the carbine buffer is concerned are they all the same? I noticed the price for a standard carbine buffer ranges from $8.50-$17 depending on where I get it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
when you guys say weak...what are you meaning? the grains? or the diff of 556/223?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK back from the range had a hell of a day! Besides shooting 3 different burst/full auto weapons I managed to fix my gas short stroking issue.

I first tried the Carbine buffer with Superior Shooting Systems spring, the PWS Enhanced buffer tube and shots came out about 5 oclock.

So I swapped out the spring for standard milspec spring with carbine buffer and PWS Enhanced buffer tube and shots came out at 2:30-3:00 oclock no slide lock.
So I swapped out carbine buffer for the Spikes T2 and keep the milspec spring and PWS Enhanced buffer tube and first shot came out about 4 oclock then 3:30 for the remainder of the day with slide locking back every time.
So my baby is running smoothly now! Thanks for all the information and help it paid off!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts