Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a god awful jam the other day after shooting close to 500 rds through my xd's. I was on my last magazine before my time was up on the range and after firing, the round didnt eject and of course another round tried to chamber...I pushed the unchambered round down into the magazine and ejected the magazine. The slide closed and then I was unable to open it, even one of the range officers couldnt get it open and the guide rod was sticking out about a 1/4inch or so...the slide wouldnt budge. I got it home and used a brass hammer to knock the guide rod back in place and then I was able to open the slide and I disassembled the XD (this is a tactical version .40) I had to use pliers to pull the round out and after examing it I noticed that actual cartridge had a crack in it which is what cause it to jam...I'm assuming it cracked after it was fired and the extra expansion locked in into the barrel. This was a Wolf round that did it and I also noticed the inside of the gun was extremely dirty..almost sludgy, which I'm sure was from the wolf ammo. I also used Hydrashoks, Winchester and Double Taps that day and they all worked fine and I could definately tell a difference in accuracy with them and the Wolf...Wolf was not nearly as accurate. Anyway, its all back to normal now..at least as far as I can tell...I guess I won't know until I shoot it again. I am a little concerned about the guide rod sticking out like it was...Anyone know if that will affect anything? It Don's guide rod with a 16lb spring. here is a pic of my guns also.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, it sounds like you have a good handle on what the problem was and, therefore, how to fix it. I don't think you did any untoward damage to your XD, but I would take a look at your guide rod and make sure you didn't bend it even just a little when you hammered it back in. If you're really worried, you might have a gunsmith look at it and check the extractor and the chamber - make sure that round didn't damage anything in there. Again, I don't think it was damaged, but better safe than sorry, right?

Remember, cheap ammo is great, but you're probably getting what you paid for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...yeah, from what I can tell the guide rod is fine...it didnt take a whole lot of pressure to put it back in...I still don't quite understand why it was extended out like it was though. I'll probably go and shoot later this week and make sure it is operating correctly. As far as the ammo goes I won't be using this ammo again after its used up....I bought 1000 rounds of it and of .223. I'll probably just get some Winchester or Remington to use for now on. Thanks again for your response.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Another glowing endorcement for the Wolf.... :roll:

Thanks for sharing your experience- for me its always worth a few extra bucks to go with WWB for plinking ammo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep...lesson learned. I was quite surprised what a difference in accuracy it makes also. My favorite ammo I have shot so far are Double Taps, I want to try some Black Hills and Georgia Arms but for large amounts of shooting like we did the other day it will probably be Winchester or Remingtons.[/url]

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
First, I doubt it was just the Wolf's fault. From what I read the user does not know how to clear a double feed type jam correctly in the first place. Before I blamed the Wolf ammo I would want to know the firearm practices and maintenance frequency of the user and how many rounds fired since the weapon was cleaned last. I have no doubt that the Wolf case did fail, I have seen this happen with brass and aluminum cases too. In my experience such failures are quite infrequent and no higher with Wolf then with any othe rmanufacturer. This is not the fault of the build up he mentions. I suggest that the sludge buildup was due to overlubrication and too great an interval between cleanings. I have and do use Wolf and it is still my prefered ammo if the range allows it. Unfortunatelly lots of people badmouth Wolf as they have no concept of good it is. It is milspec ammo with more power then this underloaded **** the US manufacturers push on people. I have had more problems and quality control issues with US manufactured ammo then I have ever had with Wolf. Wolf is a very good round, very accurate and very reliable if one does proper maintenance on his/her weapon every 500 or so rounds. I find its accuracy to be top notch.

Second, are you using the OEM captive guide rod or Don's guide rod? I would suggest changing over to Don's if you are not using it. MY XD-9 service works great with Don's rod and a #20 Wolff spring.

Third, the correct procedure for this sort of jam is to:

1) lock the slide back.
2) remove magazine
3) rack slide at least 3 times to remove empty in chamber

If the round is still stuck in the chamber afterwards then one can try and remove it a later time/place with proper tools. Usualy a cleaning rod and a hammer wil help clear it if you hammer the empty out using the rod from the muzzle end. If this happens during combat, you are SOL, enjoy the afterlife. I suggest that your procedure for clearing the jam are wrong and could have contributed to the final state of the jam. Please learn the proper way to clear jams.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Manygunner...I appreciate your opinion but I am very good with guns, I have had them since I was 11 years old and got even more extensive training when I was in the Marines. I do know how to clear the jams...it was just totally locked up...as I said the range officer there couldn't clear it either. I was able to bring the slide back far enough to clear the round that was trying to feed and after the magazine was ejected it locked shut...thats when I just took it home and had to tap the guide rod, which is Don's Guide rod, back in. The round in the chamber was about 3/4 of the way in...it had expanded so much from the crack in the casing that it wouldn't eject out. I shoot my guns almost every week and clean them after every outting but I have never seen that much gunk in one of my guns before...and that ammo is the only thing that is different...and you may think its accurate, which it is ok...I still hit the target but I can put other ammo like DoubleTaps, Winchester and Hydrashoks and consistently hit in or very close to the bullseye. When I first started shooting this batch of Wolf ammo I noticed that my rounds were all a little high and to the right, so I got other a couple other peoples opinion and they told me it was either me or the ammo...and I knew it wasn't me because quite frankly I'm a good shot...and that was again confirmed at this outting to the range when we tested the different brands...it was a no brainer at least with the pistol ammo...the .223 shot well. Its also not what I would call a dependable ammo when the casing cracks, even though it was just the one. I'm glad you like it...thats your perogative but I will be buying different brands from now on...if you want to buy some I'll be happy to sell you mine. :)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Ok, it was just the way you described it. Pushing the round back into the magazine before removing it. Not the way I was trained. Then again, you were the man on the scene. I was just responding to the general description of the malfunction and problem.

My response to the Wolf issue was a bit more visceral as I think they are getting a bad rap for no reason. Someone says Wolf and everyone just chimes in against it for no real reason and usualy when they never used it. I have seen people in major gun magazines give it a thumbs up and I myself prefer it to the more costly, underpowered, commercial stuff found in stores. I have used Wolf during fairly intensive training at a number of places with no problems or malfunctions. It works.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
manygunner said:
My response to the Wolf issue was a bit more visceral as I think they are getting a bad rap for no reason. Someone says Wolf and everyone just chimes in against it for no real reason and usualy when they never used it. I have seen people in major gun magazines give it a thumbs up and I myself prefer it to the more costly, underpowered, commercial stuff found in stores. I have used Wolf during fairly intensive training at a number of places with no problems or malfunctions. It works.
I recently bought Wolf .223 and 12 gauge 00 buck for the first time. I haven't fired the .223 yet, but that 12 gauge, man! I thought I was shooting a blackpowder rifle, or that dirty kid from Charlie Brown was standing next to me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've heard the polymer coated brass rounds can leave the coating behind and cause gunk buildup, is this true? As far as Wolf is concerned thats all I fire thru my SKS, only had 1 FTFire, and that was the guns fault. The round had a dimple pulled it out put it aside for awhile, put it back in later and fired it.

I know not the safest practice but I was curious.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Cyberbeer said:
I've heard the polymer coated brass rounds can leave the coating behind and cause gunk buildup, is this true?
Actualy that was supposed to be the problem with the old lacquer coated rounds, the polymer coated are supposed to fix that. I never had any problems, in rifle or pistol caliber. I saw a Modern Marvels show on the History Channel the other day that shows how much progress polymer science has made and have no reason to doubt Wolf's claim that it will not leave any polymer gunk behind. I find the residue no dirtier or harder to clean up then from my brass cased MiWall reloads I buy for the "no steel cased rounds allowed" ranges I visit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts