Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took the Ohio CCW class this weekend - classroom yesterday and range today, plus another hour or so in the classroom covering Ohio laws. Long story short, I passed easily. It was a great class and I'd recommend it to anyone whether you plan to carry or not.

After our range drills this morning I got to shoot a couple of my classmates' pistols, including a Sig 2304 (I think) in .40 and a Ruger SR9. Both were nice pistols, easy to shoot.

The real fun, however, came after the class ended. I went back out to the range where a few guys were shooting and doing a couple practical drills. I was offered and happily got to shoot (in no particular order)

XD Service in .45
Taurus 1911 in .45
CZ 75 in 9mm - tricked out competition gun
.45 revolver (6-shot)
.500 revolver
.460 revolver
Steyr (close to 9mm) top clip-loading semi-auto made in 1917

I offered my XD-9 to everyone but I think only one guy took me up on it. Not exotic compared to a few of the great guns I got to shoot. I think my favorites were the XD45 and 1911.

What a terrific day. And I am quite proud to say I was pretty accurate with all these guns. I haven't shot anything bigger than my 9mm in months, and was very curious to see what the recoil was like in .40 and .45 pistols. It was actually very manageable. Much better now than when I bought a S&W .40 early this year, didn't like it and traded it for my XD-9.

One exercise we did was shooting "gongs" placed at two different distances and about 30' apart, including shooting one then the other, back and forth, in quick succession. The other guys were hitting them most of the time. I worried a bit about whether I could do as well, especially with guns I'd never shot before. I wasn't perfect but I hit them at least 90% of the time. I was pretty happy with that.

After shooting the larger caliber guns my XD-9's recoil felt like a .22! :p The next time I shot at the gongs with my 9mm I put all 10 rounds on them. Not a tough feat for many shooters but I was proud of it, especially moving quickly between them and hitting all my double-taps on them, too!

I'll still probably buy my carry gun (looking like a Sig P239) in 9mm - and use high grade carry ammo - but I'm at least considering the .40 now.

I'm also very much looking forward to getting my CCW permit in a couple weeks! :)

BTW, I took the CCW class at Targething at the A&A gun shop and range near Garrettsville, OH. It was worth every cent it cost and I made a few new friends along the way, too.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys.

I should have mentioned that shooting the .500 and .460 were like firing cannons. It was very cool, and really great for my fellow shooters to let me have some fun with their guns and ammo. I made sure to thank them a couple times, too.

We shot both guns at the gongs, too, and instead of just ringing the gongs, they put nice quarter to half-dollar sized divots in them! We were laughing our butts off after every shot. I don't think I've ever had a more fun day at the range.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Congrats on taking the class. I picked up my Ohio CCW permit yesterday and have certainly taken advantage of it already.

I enjoyed the range time for the class. At the end we had to fire six rounds, reload six more and fire AFAP in pitch dark with a flashlight. Strangely enough, I'm more accurate with the lights out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts