Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a mini-14 some time in the future, but will it be affected by the weapons ban? If it will be, then I'm gonna get one sooner than I wanted to.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
According to the last version I saw yes.

·
Premium Member
8,572 Posts
The big things that they are emphasizing is no more than two of the following per rifle:

Pistol Grip.
Detachable High Cap magazine
Bayo Lug.
Threaded Muzzle brake.
Retractable stock.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
HR1022 does list the mini by name on paragraph A- xviii
GovTrack: H.R. 1022: Text of Legislation, Referred in Senate
Yes the ban will suck when it occurs, but I hope that 1859 does not pass. HR1859 is mis-leading since it appears to be banning "large capacity ammunition feeding devices" but if you really read section 3- a, you may notice that they are banning the transfer of the firearm as well, say when you pass away or what not. This one "IS" intended to "disarm american citzens" and take away your 2nd amendment rights. This one has more clout than HR1022 does.
GovTrack: H.R. 1859: Text of Legislation, Introduced in House

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yes, it will be in the ban...no doubt about it.

Buy one and several hi-cap mags. The Minis being sold new these days come with Ruger factory 20 rounders. The newer Minis have thicker barrel and group MUCH better than my old Mini. In my experiences with my 180 Series and Dad's 195 Series Ranch Rifle...they are not match guns but are very reliable feeders. They're definately "minute of coyote" guns.

Some Minis run ok with aftermarket mags...some don't. Its a roll of the dice. I have a VERY early Mini-14 - a 1976 180 Series...yeah...an antique! It runs 100% with the Pro Mag 20 and 30 rounders and the composite Tapcos.

The Pro-Mag 20 rounders can be had at Academy for 17 bucks. That was the first one I tried and since it ran 100%...I bought more. Right now, I have 10 Pro Mag 30 rounders and 3 20 rounders. For 17 bucks its worth a try.

Again...some say their Mini will not run 100% with aftermarket mags but mine was fine with the Pro Mag an Tapcos. Other aftermarket mags might give it troubles, who knows.

Try one before buying more, but with the way prices and mag availibility is going...do it VERY soon.

The Mini-14 gets a bad rap by some, but as long as you're not expecting a match rifle and want to plink and not have an overly complicated or finicky gas operated 223...its not a bad choice.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Yes, it will be in the ban...no doubt about it.

Buy one and several hi-cap mags. The Minis being sold new these days come with Ruger factory 20 rounders. The newer Minis have thicker barrel and group MUCH better than my old Mini. In my experiences with my 180 Series and Dad's 195 Series Ranch Rifle...they are not match guns but are very reliable feeders. They're definately "minute of coyote" guns.

Some Minis run ok with aftermarket mags...some don't. Its a roll of the dice. I have a VERY early Mini-14 - a 1976 180 Series...yeah...an antique! It runs 100% with the Pro Mag 20 and 30 rounders and the composite Tapcos.

The Pro-Mag 20 rounders can be had at Academy for 17 bucks. That was the first one I tried and since it ran 100%...I bought more. Right now, I have 10 Pro Mag 30 rounders and 3 20 rounders. For 17 bucks its worth a try.

Again...some say their Mini will not run 100% with aftermarket mags but mine was fine with the Pro Mag an Tapcos. Other aftermarket mags might give it troubles, who knows.

Try one before buying more, but with the way prices and mag availibility is going...do it VERY soon.

The Mini-14 gets a bad rap by some, but as long as you're not expecting a match rifle and want to plink and not have an overly complicated or finicky gas operated 223...its not a bad choice.

- Brickboy240
My old 1976 Mini was reliable with Ruger mags only. 5 and the 2-20 rounders I managed to get with the gun. Nothing else would fire more than 1 or 2 shots before a misfeed.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
Is a mini-14 less accurate than my 10/22 ?
almost certainly less unless you jacked up the 10/22 and tweaked the mini in a postive manner.

not enough either way to matter if you are shooting rodents. 100-150 yards you should likely hit whatever the vermin is with either unit.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
of all the dumb chit to piss your pants about, a bayonet lug? big deal. your not allowed to have a knife on a stick but you can have guns.. idiots.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I guess the factory 30 round mag I have for mine makes me a terrorist...by the way it is an older one and very accurate in .223

1 - 12 of 12 Posts