Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
If it knocks out the power grid , you can guarantee more deaths in the Midwest due to record heat. Then the solar radiation may reanimate the bodies leading to a zombie invasion........... either way, I am Reloading a bunch tonight.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I've been hearing about something like this for quite awhile now.

No power doesn't seem all that bad... but think about it.

If a large amount of transformers blow you're talking mass chaos. Cell phones, down. Radio repeaters, down. Almost any communication, down. Transportation, down. Fuel pumps, down.

It could be bad for awhile until people got their crap together.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
No power would destroy our entire economy. You would be taking about blowing every transformer in the entire USA. thats years of no power.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Any idea what time it could hit? August 5th could suck depending on the time I could be in NYC that would be bad very very bad. I really don't want to put survival skills to test in NYc that place would be a mad house.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any idea what time it could hit? August 5th could suck depending on the time I could be in NYC that would be bad very very bad. I really don't want to put survival skills to test in NYc that place would be a mad house.
"the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, England predicts the solar storm from the larger flare to reach Earth at 15:00 UTC on August 5, 2011"

15:00 UTC = 11:00am EDT

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
From the space weather agency

NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

2000Z, August 3, 2011
- The protons have trickled in at GOES, but at a low level. Seemingly the Solar Radiation Storm threat is off the table, at least for now. The protons may again increase with the arrival of the shock driven by the CME that left the Sun yesterday. That arrival is expected very late August 4 (UTC) or early August 5th. The R2 (Moderate) Radio Blackout of today (1348Z max) was accompanied by yet another earthbound CME. That one is anticipated to pass earth on August 7th. Early indications are that G1 (Minor) Geomagnetic Storming is most likely the extent of it. Watch here for more.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From the space weather agency

NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

2000Z, August 3, 2011
- The protons have trickled in at GOES, but at a low level. Seemingly the Solar Radiation Storm threat is off the table, at least for now. The protons may again increase with the arrival of the shock driven by the CME that left the Sun yesterday. That arrival is expected very late August 4 (UTC) or early August 5th. The R2 (Moderate) Radio Blackout of today (1348Z max) was accompanied by yet another earthbound CME. That one is anticipated to pass earth on August 7th. Early indications are that G1 (Minor) Geomagnetic Storming is most likely the extent of it. Watch here for more.
ok, well crap ... guess I'll have to look for something else to panic about ... Saw some contrails last night

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
No power doesn't seem all that bad... but think about it.
110 degrees and NO a/c at home. :shock: Now THAT will be a SHTF scenerio!

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Update from spaceweather.com

ONE DOWN, TWO TO GO: As predicted by analysts at the GSFC Space Weather Lab, the first of three CMEs produced by the recent spate of flare activity reached Earth during the late hours of August 4th. The impact was weak and is not expected to produce strong geomagnetic storms. Two more CMEs are still on the way and, as described below, they may have merged into a single cloud that could produce significant storming when they reach Earth on August 5th around 10:00 UT. A new model of all 3 CMEs is now available; stay tuned for updates.

STRONG SOLAR ACTIVITY: For the third day in a row, active sunspot 1261 has unleashed a significant M-class solar flare. The latest blast at 0357 UT on August 4th registered M9.3 on the Richter Scale of Flares, almost crossing the threshold into X-territory (X-flares are the most powerful kind). The number of energetic protons around Earth has jumped nearly 100-fold as a result of this event. The eruption propelled a bright coronal mass ejection (CME) toward Earth.

Moving at an estimated speed of 1950 km/s, this CME is expected to sweep up an earlier CME already en route. Analysts at the GSFC Space Weather Lab say the combined cloud should reach Earth on August 5th at 10:00 UT plus or minus 7 hours: "The impact on Earth is likely to be major. The estimated maximum geomagnetic activity index level Kp is 7 (Kp ranges from 0 - 9). The flanks of the CME may also impact STEREO A, Mars and Mercury/MESSENGER." High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
I was hoping to see a nice aurora.

Haven't seen one for a few years.
Been a while for us too. We'll be looking tonight... clear skies anticipated... on the southwest shore of Lake Superior.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I'm sure glad we don't have "smart guns" with ID chips that are needed for operation. A solar storm could knock out your arsenal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts