Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The business next to mine was a source of high excitement today. Suspect entered the business at about noon EST and demanded register money. Female business owner pulled out handgun (don't know make or caliber) and he ran out the door.

She must have depressed a panic button during the encounter, as several police descended on the area very quickly. She chased the suspect, and while outside in her parking lot, discharged her weapon in the air over busy business & traffic area.

Suspect was apprehended by police across the street in the K-Mart parking lot.

I think this highlights how critical it is for those of us who use firearms as self-defense weapons to be well trained in their use. She should NEVER have fired that weapon, in fact, she never should have left the building in pursuit. The police were on scene when the weapon was discharged. She is incredibly lucky that the bullet didn't hit an innocent bystander.

Police confiscated the weapon. Don't know what will happen with her about the discharge.

It's a mad, mad, world!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Unfortunately, in a situation like that, logical thinking seems to go out the window. Good on her for having the means to protect herself and I hope her lapse in thinking doesn't hurt too bad. :(

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Just out of curiousity, do you know if the suspect ever directly threatened the owner or had a weapon?

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
wow. she chased him and fired wildly?

wow. she is lucky nobody got hurt. I also hope the antis don't get wind of this. it fits right into their argument of armed citizens turning us back into the wild west.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a couple of good buddies on the local PD, and when they get me the details, I'll pass them on. Definitely not a good thing all the way around. Glad no one was hurt, and so far, I don't see anything on any of our local news channels/websites.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Chasing the BG = bad
Firing in the air = worse

Not sure who will come out of this in worse shape, the crook or the victim?

·
Registered
855 Posts
The business next to mine was a source of high excitement today. Suspect entered the business at about noon EST and demanded register money. Female business owner pulled out handgun (don't know make or caliber) and he ran out the door.

She must have depressed a panic button during the encounter, as several police descended on the area very quickly. She chased the suspect, and while outside in her parking lot, discharged her weapon in the air over busy business & traffic area.

Suspect was apprehended by police across the street in the K-Mart parking lot.

I think this highlights how critical it is for those of us who use firearms as self-defense weapons to be well trained in their use. She should NEVER have fired that weapon, in fact, she never should have left the building in pursuit. The police were on scene when the weapon was discharged. She is incredibly lucky that the bullet didn't hit an innocent bystander.

Police confiscated the weapon. Don't know what will happen with her about the discharge.

It's a mad, mad, world!

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
Glad she defended herself, crooks will think twice about trying to rob that place again.
I do agree with it not being very smart to run outside with your weapon. If the BG is running away, there is really no longer an immediate threat. Chasing and shooting means your are on the offensive side now, not the defensive.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
Glad she defended herself, crooks will think twice about trying to rob that place again.
I do agree with it not being very smart to run outside with your weapon. If the BG is running away, there is really no longer an immediate threat. Chasing and shooting means your are on the offensive side now, not the defensive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so I spoke to my police buddy, and have some more light to shed on the incident. Turns out - not a robbery attempt. The suspect was involved in a police chase. No plates on his car. After his arrest, PD discovered he had several felony warrants and most likely the reason he decided to run.

He ditched the car and ran behind several businesses with an officer in pursuit on foot.

Several other cars were already on their way to the area due to the pursuit. The suspect slipped between my building and the tanning salon. (Our buildings are not attached, both are freestanding businesses). Fortunately for me, my entrance is on the other side of the building, but the salons entrance faces my store, right where the suspect was running. He ran into the salon in order to hide from officer on foot chase, who did not see him enter the salon.

According to what she told police, he ran in, no shoes, muddy feet, and started running around looking for a place to hide. She pulled out her weapon (I forgot to ask him what make/caliber) chased him out of the store, and fired the shot in the air after him.

We'll see what happens from here. In my mind, this illustrates exactly why we need to be well trained if we decide to arm ourselves. Someone could have been killed. Her life was never in danger, yet the intensity of the situation got the better of her and she acted without thinking.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Pulling the gun was good. Firing off a round bad!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hopefully she will be arrested and charged, she recklessly endangered the public. One of the golden rules of safety is knowing where the bullet will end up.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Hopefully she will be arrested and charged, she recklessly endangered the public. One of the golden rules of safety is knowing where the bullet will end up.
I have to agree. I find it somewhat odd that I'm actually hoping she goes to jail for being stupid.

On the one hand I think it's great she stopped a threat, but on the other she put peoples lives in danger trying to be John Wayne. The danger she posed to others seems greater to me. Not having common sense and/or not being familiar with the law rather upsets me and I'd want her thrown in jail.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have to agree. I find it somewhat odd that I'm actually hoping she goes to jail for being stupid.

On the one hand I think it's great she stopped a threat, but on the other she put peoples lives in danger trying to be John Wayne. The danger she posed to others seems greater to me. Not having common sense and/or not being familiar with the law rather upsets me and I'd want her thrown in jail.
Agreed. When you decide to carry or have a firearm for personal protection you need to know the ins and outs of the law. You have to be able to know what you can and can't do. Clearly she messed up. It sounds like her life was never threatened when she grabbed the pistol and firing wildly into the air is something that will get innocent bystanders hurt or killed....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts