Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've never applied for a tax stamp or the like. This is my first time. I'm going to be building a short barrel rifle. I've found the Form 1 but really don't know how to go about filling some of the stuff out such as the manufacture, etc. Also, what do I put down for the reason that I need it? Any help you can help will be great ...

http://www.titleii.com/pdf/NewF1.pdf

Edit: I guess it's the Form 1 since I'm building the rifle.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
For reason, I recomend "For all legal purposes"

Manufacturer is the original manufacturer of the lower reciever (assuming we are talking about an AR)

Any other questions, just holler. I have done an SBR on a Form 1 with a trust successfully.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i put "for collection and investment" as that is what my dealer put on my form 4s that were approved. im sure "for all lawful purposes" would work but to me it just sounds too vague

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
oh and that is the old version of the form 1. there is a new one that you have to order from the atf website since they dont have a PDF of it. its free they just mail it to your house. if you look in the top right it says (10-31-2007)
and at the bottem it says (november 2004) the old one you posted might work but why take the chance, it is different from the new one and it would suck really bad to get it sent back because of a stupid mistake.

the correct one should say (xx-xx-2010) in the top right corner.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Is an SBR a $200 tax stamp?
unfortunaty yes it's just another way for big brother to get you to tell them you have a gun and take money out of your pocket to boot

Personally I think is BS especially since you can put a 5.5" barrel on a AR pistol with no tax stamp but if you put a stock on it (which makes it less concealable) without the stamp you get slapped with a 15 year prison term

Shhesh $200 to exercise your right to best arm which was given to you for free by the 2nd A

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
that $200 is actually an old law from 1938 where they wanted to make things like this non affordable for the average person. Funny thign is they didnt change the $200 amount over the years, and $200 is affordable now :p

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
that $200 is actually an old law from 1938 where they wanted to make things like this non affordable for the average person. Funny thign is they didnt change the $200 amount over the years, and $200 is affordable now :p
I did not know that, thanks!

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I've never applied for a tax stamp or the like. This is my first time. I'm going to be building a short barrel rifle. I've found the Form 1 but really don't know how to go about filling some of the stuff out such as the manufacture, etc. Also, what do I put down for the reason that I need it? Any help you can help will be great ...

http://www.titleii.com/pdf/NewF1.pdf

Edit: I guess it's the Form 1 since I'm building the rifle.
Form 1.

Manufacturer is the original manufacturer. You'll also have to engrave the lower with your name (or trust) city and state to be in compliance since you'll technically be the manufacturer of the registered firearm. I recommend Jason @ Quentin Lasers for the engraving-- http://www.quentin-laser.com/

The reason for building on all 3 of my forms are as follows (I don't fool with the all lawful purposes part):

collection, heirloom, exersize my second amendment rights.;)

ETA: If you're doing this as an individual instead of business entity, you'll also have to get 2 passport quality photo's of yourself and glue one to the top/back of each form (2x2 inches-frontal) and you'll need two FD-258 FBI fingerprint cards and Chief Law Enforcement signature (unless you're going the trust route--in that case you'll also have to provide a notarized copy of your recognized trust). As has been stated, all of this is free from the ATF branch if you order it. Don't forget the $200 check and the wait times to get the forms back are long. The last set of forms I submitted took almost 3 months and the wait is even longer now.

Also a good link with info for NFA newbies. ModulARweapons.com :: View topic - NFA/SBR FAQ's and links

·
Registered
219 Posts
is the 200 bucks a one time fee, and what esle would i have to do?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, it's per item that you need. :lol:

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
is the 200 bucks a one time fee, and what esle would i have to do?
Submitting as Individual:

Clean background

18 or older

Buy receiver

get all the paperwork

fill out paperwork
--attach passport photo to back of form 1.

----Take completed paperwork to your local chief law enforcement officer and ask him to complete the back of it and sign it, and fingerprint you with only the FD-258 cards. (You mail the fingerprint cards with the paperwork)

$200 check or money order

mail everything to the address indicated on the form

have lower engraved with your info

wait and wait and wait and wait

when you get your paperwork back approved with the stamp attached and appropriate signatures from the NFA Branch either buy the upper you're going to use or shorten barrel

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought you had to be 21 for all of that stuff including SBR, SBS, suppressors, etc?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
oh and that is the old version of the form 1. there is a new one that you have to order from the atf website since they dont have a PDF of it. its free they just mail it to your house. if you look in the top right it says (10-31-2007)
and at the bottem it says (november 2004) the old one you posted might work but why take the chance, it is different from the new one and it would suck really bad to get it sent back because of a stupid mistake.

the correct one should say (xx-xx-2010) in the top right corner.
Actually, the ATF does provide a PDF version of the Form 4. You can get it from http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f53204.pdf.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts