Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not overly surprising, but it looks like the ATF has pistol braces in their crosshairs now. Not a bit surprising seeing that they are putting cheek welds on them is some cases.
So far they just picked out the one product, but I expect it to snowball.
What are you brace owners going to do.
I liked that I could use a standard carbine tube with them with some types and get any edges covered.
Is this going to get pushed to the point where having a carbine buffer tube would be enough?
Probably depends on what goes down in November.
Before the brace fad. Was it basically just rifle tubes with crutch caps?

·
Premium Member
21,765 Posts
You can’t add to the tube, that is modification. You have to keep it “stock” otherwise you could be in trouble.

Reactions: Powerman

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
ATF Drops NFA Hammer on Q Honey Badger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,790 Posts
I've got a Saint Victor pistol with the SBA3 brace and I've been very impressed with it. It's a forearm brace but of course a forearm brace doesn't always brace on the forearm.

I guess if they now designate them all SBR's I'm going to have a problem with it.

Reactions: Bozz10mm

·
Premium Member
21,765 Posts
ATF Drops NFA Hammer on Q Honey Badger

This is my biggest gripe with the ATF.

ATF has once again unlawfully and unconstitutionally exceeded its authority and changed the law by issuing a new determination that is devoid of logic and reason, contains no explanation as to the manner in which it arrived at its conclusion, conflicts with its prior determinations, and embodies the very essence of 'arbitrary and capricious.'"

·
Registered
19,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect it was that the brace on the Badger was so extremely stock-like why they dropped the hammer here, and honestly, I get that. The big thing in my mind is that this was likely just the first domino. Who knows what will be left when the dust settles. The obvious solution would be to de-register SBRs, but I doubt it will happen.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Dont own one and personally have no interest in and see no useful purpose for them. However I do support 2A and this is just another restriction there of.

Doesn’t directly effect me however still I do not agree with it.

·
Registered
19,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont own one and personally have no interest in and see no useful purpose for them. However I do support 2A and this is just another restriction there of.

Doesn’t directly effect me however still I do not agree with it.

the purpose of them is the reason the ATF is beginning to go after them. I have 1 for my 300blk, since that round doesn't need near as much barrel as the 5.56 to function properly. I'm probably going to use it this hunting season and see what happens. I am looking for something that doesn't ruin as much meat as my 270win, but more stopping power than a .223/5.56.

·
Registered
19,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
the purpose of them is the reason the ATF is beginning to go after them. I have 1 for my 300blk, since that round doesn't need near as much barrel as the 5.56 to function properly. I'm probably going to use it this hunting season and see what happens. I am looking for something that doesn't ruin as much meat as my 270win, but more stopping power than a .223/5.56.
Good for you.
Hope your able to actually hit the deer with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Government bureaucrats have little interest in supporting citizens. An ATF rule change always leads to more regulations and associated lengthy document approval times. Let's say ATF decided to have all "arm-braced" pistols immediately classified as SBRs. ATF would then instruct citizens, if they wanted to continue to own that "arm-braced SBR", to simply file a FORM for a SBR, pay $200 tax and wait, wait, wait . . . for the approval paperwork.
Before, ATF adds anymore bureaucratic barriers to freedom, WHY DON'T THEY WORK ON GETTING THE CURRENT ATF APPROVAL PAPERWORK TIME DOWN TO 3 BUSINESS DAYS.

·
Registered
18,790 Posts
Government bureaucrats have little interest in supporting citizens. An ATF rule change always leads to more regulations and associated lengthy document approval times. Let's say ATF decided to have all "arm-braced" pistols immediately classified as SBRs. ATF would then instruct citizens, if they wanted to continue to own that "arm-braced SBR", to simply file a FORM for a SBR, pay $200 tax and wait, wait, wait . . . for the approval paperwork.
Before, ATF adds anymore bureaucratic barriers to freedom, WHY DON'T THEY WORK ON GETTING THE CURRENT ATF APPROVAL PAPERWORK TIME DOWN TO 3 BUSINESS DAYS.
Hmm, so we'd be able to keep the gun with the brace attached while they ran their lengthy approval process?

At least we'd be able to keep the guns.

Then again, if they make them illegal but the existing ones are OK then the value of my AR pistol would skyrocket. I'd could sell it for 5k and buy another Nighthawk 1911. Hmmm.

·
Premium Member
21,765 Posts
Hmm, so we'd be able to keep the gun with the brace attached while they ran their lengthy approval process?

At least we'd be able to keep the guns.

Then again, if they make them illegal but the existing ones are OK then the value of my AR pistol would skyrocket. I'd could sell it for 5k and buy another Nighthawk 1911. Hmmm.
With how good 3D printing has become, you could just print the cheap plastic ones even after the “close” date.

·
Registered
19,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good for you.
Hope your able to actually hit the deer with it.

As in you believe that the 300 is an inaccurate round or that a 10" ar pistol is inaccurate? Honestly, I haven't done any real accuracy testing with it (times running out. Better get on it)
I had sub 100 yard shots in mind. The bolt action Remington would remain the weapon of choice for the open field 300 yard + shots.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Glad I decided to go ahead and SBR my KP9.

Sounds like this will be another case of, "... told ya so..." just like with the Bump Stocks.

·
Registered
18,790 Posts
With how good 3D printing has become, you could just print the cheap plastic ones even after the “close” date.
Way to rain on my new Nighthawk dreams.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
As in you believe that the 300 is an inaccurate round or that a 10" ar pistol is inaccurate? Honestly, I haven't done any real accuracy testing with it (times running out. Better get on it)
I had sub 100 yard shots in mind. The bolt action Remington would remain the weapon of choice for the open field 300 yard + shots.
Accuracy with a pistol not the round.
I want to KILL the deer not mame um so I prefer rifle. Gonna try the 7.62Ruger ranch rifle this yr.

·
Premium Member
21,765 Posts

·
Registered
19,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Accuracy with a pistol not the round.
I want to KILL the deer not mame um so I prefer rifle. Gonna try the 7.62Ruger ranch rifle this yr.

Don't worry. I fully intent to skirt the law to produce a clean kill. I've got a 3x on it as well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts