Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The subject pretty much says it all. At what range should I zero my 9mm XDM 5.25. Everything I've found pretty much says 25 yards for 9mm. I'm having an issue with my gun (which has been back at SA for over 2 weeks) and they are trying to tell me that the gun shooting low at 25 yards is normal. I disagree because with the same ammo, I do not have to raise my point of aim when shooting my 9mm Shield or Glock 19 and these guns obviously have shorter, non-match grade barrels and a shorter sight radius. The ballistics charts I've looked at all show 9mm starting to drop around 28 yards with 115 gr FMJ rounds, regardless of make. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
The subject pretty much says it all. At what range should I zero my 9mm XDM 5.25. Everything I've found pretty much says 25 yards for 9mm. I'm having an issue with my gun (which has been back at SA for over 2 weeks) and they are trying to tell me that the gun shooting low at 25 yards is normal. I disagree because with the same ammo, I do not have to raise my point of aim when shooting my 9mm Shield or Glock 19 and these guns obviously have shorter, non-match grade barrels and a shorter sight radius. The ballistics charts I've looked at all show 9mm starting to drop around 28 yards with 115 gr FMJ rounds, regardless of make. Thoughts?

The POA/POI is going to be a little different for every gun, it's just a matter of learning what works for you. When I first shot my XDM 4.5" in 45 I was disappointed because I thought it was shooting about 18" low. Part of the problem was that I needed to tighten up my grip, the other was not having the correct sight picture. Now I can empty the mag into the 10 ring at 7 yds with no problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
931 Posts
what type of sight picture are you using? do you think you should be able to use the same sight picture at all ranges from 0 out to 25 yards?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Are you capable of shooting 1 inch groups offhand at any distance?

Your gun is not a target pistol its a combat weapon, at any distance from 5-25 yards the sight in and sight picture will not matter for combat accuracy.

don

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sschrick - According to page 40 of the XDM manual, these weapons are designed to shoot POA/POI at 25 yards, so, yes, I think I should be able to use the same sight picture at 25 yards as I do at 7 yards like I can with my M&P Shield (also 9mm). Mine is not doing this but I just got off the phone with the tech at SA and this will be resolved. My question stems from the fact that I was told by one of their tech people that bullet drop is normal @25 yards for a 9mm. The ballistic charts I've seen contradict his statement. For reference, I was shooting Federal and Winchester 115gr FMJ.

To answer dglocks question - yes, I can hold 1" groups at 7 yards shooting unsupported. I would also respectfully disagree with his statement that this particular gun isn't a target pistol. Being a 5.25 that is marketed as a competition model, I would say it is indeed a target pistol.

I appreciate everyone's input thus far.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
sschrick - According to page 40 of the XDM manual, these weapons are designed to shoot POA/POI at 25 yards, so, yes, I think I should be able to use the same sight picture at 25 yards as I do at 7 yards like I can with my M&P Shield (also 9mm). Mine is not doing this but I just got off the phone with the tech at SA and this will be resolved. My question stems from the fact that I was told by one of their tech people that bullet drop is normal @25 yards for a 9mm. The ballistic charts I've seen contradict his statement. For reference, I was shooting Federal and Winchester 115gr FMJ.

To answer dglocks question - yes, I can hold 1" groups at 7 yards shooting unsupported. I would also respectfully disagree with his statement that this particular gun isn't a target pistol. Being a 5.25 that is marketed as a competition model, I would say it is indeed a target pistol.

I appreciate everyone's input thus far.

My mistake,i didn't see that the gun was a 5.25. My statement about sight picture and combat shooting still stands.

don

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From a combat standpoint, I absolutely agree. In fact, I primarily shoot off my front sight when I practice for self defense.

·
Registered
338 Posts
What type sight picture are you using?

I use a center hold and my pistol hits dead center.
Try holding dead center, it should raise your point of impact if you are using a six o clock hold.
also I assume your elevation is non adjustable if so try lighter weight bullets which may help.
Possibly there are elevation adjustable combat sights but I have never seen any.
Give a post and let every one know how you solved the problem, good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
At what range do you plan to shoot it?

How high/low is acceptable at ranges closer or further than you intend to shoot?
This.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Most "in the know" prefer 15 yards. You'll be dead on at just about anything closer than that, and a little high at 25 (which is preferable to being low... if you have to compensate by aiming low, you can still see your target.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
It all depends on the guns intended use. I would suggest 15yds to see where you are at. Then back it up to 25 to see where the gun is really at.

·
Registered
580 Posts
There is a great range near Cody, WY if it's not too far for you to drive. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
This pic is a very old one when I had never used blazer brass before so ignore it's accuracy comments ( it's just loaded to higher pressure than federal so needed better grip)

The pic is at 25 yards factory zero ( all my firearms like that)
With standard center , no loliepoppin , at combat speed ( draw , aim , fire , reholster ) with a 4 second buzzer to hands free

1 - 20 of 24 Posts