Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been saving for a 1911, ( I didnt buy anything) and today i handled a remington R1 1911. that thing is pretty darn sold:) nicely made 1911 for sure. or at least I thought. unfortunatly they didnt have any SA 1911s. soon i'll be handling a GI.45 and the mil - spec models of SA. hopefully I'll make up my mind. does anyone have any good info to shoot to me about any of the above 1911s that you know about?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Only that yes the R1 is nice, my local had one today, but while expecting it their alarm system bugged out and they couldn't get it to turn off or the AC to come on so I left with ringing in my ears and without a full examination of the Remington.

If it were me I would skip the Mil-Spec and GI and go with the Loaded SA models, nice features for a good price. I owned one a while back and it was a very nice shooter.

Either a Loaded or the R1.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I handled the GI and MilSpec SA 1911s before purchasing a SA Loaded new at a gun show. For the difference in price, the loaded was just a better purchase for me. It is the first 1911 I bought and I'm sure I'll never sell it so I'm glad I got one with all the options.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as much as i would like to have a loaded, I wouldnt be able to afford one, thats why the R1, GI, and Mil Spec are on my list. I was lookin at RIA but im not a fan of it. also I really dont like the front serations on it.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
as much as i would like to have a loaded, I wouldnt be able to afford one, thats why the R1, GI, and Mil Spec are on my list. I was lookin at RIA but im not a fan of it. also I really dont like the front serations on it.
Honestly, all three are great starting points, but you will likely make changes to them in the long run. That's not really a bad thing either. Starting out with a fairly basic 1911 will allow you to change it to suit your needs and wants. I'm pretty sure you'll end up turning your 1911 into a Loaded sooner or later, but who knows. If it were me, I'd save a little longer and get a Loaded. Since it's your money, with those choices, I would take the Mil Spec. The upgrades on that model are for function and they are all useful. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Check out the Springfield "Range Officer" it is a great firearm and if you shop around you can find it for a great price probably in the $ 750.00 dollar range and you will also get Springfields great warranty and Customer Service as well. Trust me you will love the Range Officer, at least check it out.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Range Officer is indeed a good choice and I didn't see it mentioned so I will throw in the Ruger 1911 has been getting great reviews at $699.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just purchased the last SA 1911 Loaded they had at the BP in Bolingbrook last week. It was the parkerized PX9109LP model with the night sights. They had only gotten 2 in and they were sold within 2 days. After talking with the mgr. of the gun counter he said they were going to be stocking more higher end models as well as the bigger names (Kimber, Springfield).

I am very happy I held out to get the Loaded model. I originally wanted a mil-spec or the R1 but would have to do upgrades to get what I really wanted. Even after doing the upgrades you still have a lower end gun IMHO. I was just looking for something middle of the road and I feel I found it. I shoots awesome and has not had any FTF/FTE at all (knock on wood). Just so you know I spent $899 which is probably high for this gun but it was only about $150 more than the mil-spec.

Whitesoxfan1

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have a SA/GI and have had no issues and love it. But I am not a fan of all the bells and whistles on most 1911's. To me they're gaudy and run the price through the roof with no real functionality.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Its cheaper to shop around and get prices at Local Gun Shops. I refuse to buy from Bass Pro, since they mark everthing up at full retail. Besides that its better to support the local gun stores because they have less foot traffic compared to big rip off chain stores.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
I have thr R1 and it is a great 1911. The sights are truly HUGE and easy to aquire, I have put about 400 rounds through mine and really enjoy shooting it. I actually preferr it to my XDm .45. This 1911 fits my hand "just" right. It is now my CCW.
I bought it at Gander Mountain for $669.00 plus tax. Best investment I have made in guns, so far.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Love my R1 also. Bought it at the aforementioned BPS for $670. I felt that was comparable to Bud's online and they had it so I bought it. They only had a floor model but it looked nice so I got it (what an idiot, right? I was thinking with my trigger finger) BUT--- since in MIami-Dade we have to wait 5 business days for a firearm, they ordered me a new one (without telling me) and gave me the fresh unopened one. I thought I would mention that because BPS gets grief a lot online and these people (at Dolphin Mall in Miami) were decent folks.

Had an issue where the rear sight was not secure and came loose after 200 rounds but Remington overnighted my gun to the service center and got it back to me nicely fixed in about 5 days.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Look around locally to find what you REALLY like, then look for it online. The advantage of online out of your state is no sales tax. IE more $ for you to spend on the gun. Also a lot of online sellers offer free shipping. Just find a cheap FFL in your area to do the transfer. You`ll save some $ that will enable you to purchase a nicer gun. Good Luck.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I own a Springer GI and it is a very good shooter.

However, if the Ruger 1911 had been around when I was buying...I probably would have gone with that pistol.

Check out the Ruger 1911....its a lot of gun for the money.

(and stay out of Bass Pro and Gander Mtn....they are a total rip off!)

- brickboy240

·
Registered
81 Posts
In the past I have found several great deals at BPS. In a couple of cases prices were marked wrong and they were honored and items rang up $100 less than the price on the tag.

I like both the R1 and RO, tough choice but I would probably go with the RO if nothing else than for SA CS.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Bass Pro Shops is a ripoff.

Ditto for Gander Mtn.

I live 5 minutes from Gander and would NEVER buy a gun from those bandits. Ammo, either.

Wal Mart has 45ACP cheaper than Gander by at least 3-4 dollars a box.

Other than going to look sometimes...I really have little use for those big box outdoor stores.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've purchased firearms from Bass Pro before but during a big sale. I think they have one starting on August 5th. When I purchased my Benelli Super Nova 12ga, my wife's Remington 870 20ga, and her Walther PK380; we walked out with a total of about $800 (I can't remember exactly) for all three plus two really nice rifle cases. Remington was also offering a rebate for 870s at the time.

If you want to purchase from them, look for sales where their prices are reduced/sale, the manufacturer is offering rebates, Bass Pro sometimes offer additional cash discounts depending on how much you spend during certain sales, plus if you apply for their credit card right there, you get another percentage off your total purchase. When I did it, they granted us another 10% of the remaining purchase price. We just then paid off the credit card when the first paymentwas due with no interest added.

They also offer in store points towards your Bass Pro Rewards account. Itequals to about $2 for every $100 dollars spent.

Check out the sale starting on August 5th and compare it to prices you mightbe able to get the same for online.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts