Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got married a month ago, and my father is famous for being late for everything including wedding presents lol. Last week he decided to make up for it by buying my wife a kitchen aid mixer, and later this week bringing me to a gun shop for my present :). With that my dad is leaning toward giving me a 1911 of my choice within reason. From what homework I have done I have it narrowed between the new Ruger sr1911, or the SA RO. Both of them have something I would change, the Ruger I would like to duracoat it a parkarized finish, and the RO I would change the rear sight to better my liking doesn't have to be night sights just something that would snag less. Which would you choose and why?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Depends when you want the gun. SR1911's are a damn fine gun, made in America and you get a helluva lot of gun for the price... if you can find one. The RO's are great guns as well. Made in Croatia just like everything SA but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I agree on the not having the rear sight for snag purposes. Maybe get a nice set of Triji's to go on it? Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Go with the Springfield Loaded, just be sure it is a NM serial number.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Depends when you want the gun. SR1911's are a damn fine gun, made in America and you get a helluva lot of gun for the price... if you can find one. The RO's are great guns as well. Made in Croatia just like everything SA but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I agree on the not having the rear sight for snag purposes. Maybe get a nice set of Triji's to go on it? Good luck on your decision.

That would only be for the XD line.

Castings are from Brazil and a good portion are assembled in Geneseo IL, the rest in Brazil. The NM prefix in the Serial number would be a Geneseo IL assemble.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That would only be for the XD line.

Castings are from Brazil and a good portion are assembled in Geneseo IL, the rest in Brazil. The NM prefix in the Serial number would be a Geneseo IL assemble.
Springfield 1911's are forged (by IMBEL), not cast. the Ruger is cast.

Model's with the N prefix (Brazil markings) are imported almost complete with the exception of the sight and beavertail grip safety cut's. These cuts are done at Springfield's facility in Geneseo, IL. The NM prefix Loaded's (as well as the Range Officer, TRP and Trophy Match) have the magwell and most of the internal cuts done, but no rail cuts. The final CNC machining on NM prefixes is done in Illinois.

The XD/XDm line is from Croatia.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm pretty sure Quack knows his stuff!

ETA: If I were in your shoes, I'd be having the same problem. If I were in the 1911 market, I'd be looking at exactly these two. I've handled both at my LGS. In this particular gun, the thumb safety on the RO was rough and gritty. The sr1911 felt smoother in almost all regards. It could have just been the gun. I like Ruger and I like SA. Complete toss of the coin. There's no wrong choice here.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I went to my LGS and they did not have the Range Officer or the SR1911, and with the shop owner telling me that there were 20+ people waiting on the SR that it would be at least 9 months till I could see it. Same for the Range Officer so I "pulled the trigger" so to speak on the SA Mil Spec. I love the stock wood grips for this pistol, Later down the road I will definitely buy a full beaver tail, a combat hammer, and remove the internal mainspring safety lock. But for now just trying to learn as much as I can about it, and take it to the range.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just got a Mil Spec on Friday. I plan to change the same things as you do after I shoot it for a while. I think we both will be happy with our purchases.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I just got a Mil Spec on Friday. I plan to change the same things as you do after I shoot it for a while. I think we both will be happy with our purchases.

Great looking pistols right out of the box... also hard to get one in stock too...I actually just finished fixing a Springfield GI model. The customer kept having a 3-point jam (severe stem bind) which is a feeding problem, he also had an extraction problem as well. I ended up having to correct the barrel angle to 35deg & provide a .031 gap between frame ramp and barrel ramp, cut proper angles to his extractor to fit the case rim, tension it, fit the correct size link to get the link onto the slide stop pin where it belongs (it was riding the link), re-cut barrel lugs to proper lock up, polish breach face, change out the undersized mainspring and plunger and re-adjust the proper tension on his sear and disconnect. Now the gun runs without problems. Hopefully you won't have any of those problems. Oh, he also wanted Heinie low mount sights on it.

Please don't think yours will have the same problems cause each gun is different. His particular gun just had some ill fitted parts from the get go is all.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would hope mine doesn't have any of those problems lol, but if it does I'm sure that SA would take care of it. Idk, mine is a mil spec not GI. Would that have anything to do with it?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
The GI and Mil-Spec are the same gun with minor cosmetic differences, same basic gun though. You have to understand these are all quickly mass produced and assembled with mass produced parts and each gun will be slightly different, some work and some are very wrong from the get go. That is just the way it is in the entry level 1911 world. I have seen many top brands that are double the cost of yours with the same problems. I am sure yours will be fine. Just put many hundreds of rounds through it with your defensive ammo to ensure it feeds and extracts well.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Congratulations on a new wife and new gun. Keep your wife very happy. :)

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Personally, I'd take the RO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts