Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all the tools except a pin punch?

what if i had a block of some sort and i would hammer the block to get the pins in has anyone done that?

Does anyone have a list of everyday tools they used that worked?

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Buy a set of roll pin punches ;)

or at least use a punch the same size as the roll pins and don't beat them in.

I've used a 3/32 and a 5/32 punch

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i did mine without using any punches at all. . . . i used a small tipped rubber mallet and tape to prevent scratching on the lower. . .

it is possible but i should have bought some punches. . . it would def make it easier and less chances of u scratching anything

·
Registered
253 Posts
Buy a set of roll pin punches ;)

or at least use a punch the same size as the roll pins and don't beat them in.

I've used a 3/32 and a 5/32 punch
Dumb question, but is a roll pin punch different from a regular flat face punch? I'm about to put mine together and my punches don't specify. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
use vice grips to drive pins in, cover the jaws with tape and squeeze them in.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
same thing...u really just need to use one that isnt too big for the pin. . .

one that the tip is about the same size if not a little bigger than the pin is good

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
just pick up a set of punches should be less than $10 or if you choose just get a small and medium

brass punches would be preferable but steel ones will work if you can't find the brass ones

other than that a screw driver, needle nose pliers, Hammer, once again brass preferably, possibly long allen wrench and for the grip, and some tape

another quick trick for that pesky front pivot pin detent and spring is find a allen wrench that will fit in the hole that the pivot pin rides and stick it in from the left side drop in your spring and then your detent while holding it down with your finger push the allen all the way over it, then take your pivot pin and line it up with the allen wrench and push it in to place an voila your pivot pin is installed. works like a charm but i would still put a 1 gallon plastic baggie over it just in case you end up lanching the spring and detent,

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
a roll pin punch has a "tit" on the end that fits into the roll pin to keep from deforming it.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I used a pair of vise grips with tape on the jaws to press the bolt release pin and trigger guard pin. Worked great.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did you guys use vice grips on the bolt catch pin too? I did and it just folded the pin over haha, I had to replace it and drive it in with a punch the second time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I got a set of roll pin punches from Midway USA. I got the brass punches initially, but the pin folded almost in half on the first use. So I switched and got some steel ones and they work nice.

Did you guys use vice grips on the bolt catch pin too? I did and it just folded the pin over haha, I had to replace it and drive it in with a punch the second time.
I have been wondering how to use the hammer to get the bolt catch pin in myself without scratching up the receiver. Kind of close quarters in that area for hammering :confused:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I got a set of roll pin punches from Midway USA. I got the brass punches initially, but the pin folded almost in half on the first use. So I switched and got some steel ones and they work nice.

I have been wondering how to use the hammer to get the bolt catch pin in myself without scratching up the receiver. Kind of close quarters in that area for hammering :confused:
Duct Tape over masking tape is your Friend:lol:

put masking tape over the whole area around the hole. then cover it with duct tape. using your needle nose pliers hold the pin and start tapping it in place. drop in the spring and pin then drop the bolt catch in to place and align the holes, using your punch tap the roll pin in to place but do not force it. if its not moving your holes are not lined up correctly which will cause you to fold your roll pin in half.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Start them off with a punch finish with vice grips. Then even the sides up with a punch.

·
Registered
713 Posts
use vice grips to drive pins in, cover the jaws with tape and squeeze them in.
Another +1

I used a needle-nose vice grip, and either closed it in small increments, or turned the adjustment screw to insert the bolt catch pin.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i didnt really have to use punches.

I recommend a pair of craftsman autolocking pliers

they will size down and give you constant pressure at a good angle. paired with electrical tape to protect my lowers finish I was able to get the roll pins down to almost flush, that is where I had to use the punches. basically I had to get them seated down in there but the autolocking pliers worked perfectly.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
The lowers can be a little bit "trying" to build. Might be the time to invest in a set of roll pin punches. A medium small ball peen hammer comes in handy also.

The only roll pin that can be tricky (and $expensive$) is the trigger guard pin. Lube it up good and install it sooss the gap is facing towards the bottom.

I installed this pin using the jaws of my high quality smooth jaws four (4) inch bench vise. Alignment is important. Go slow. You do NOT want to bust off one...

...of the ears the pin goes through. $Expensive$! Don't ask me how I know this. AUGHHH! Once nearly home, just finish it with a proper sized roll pin punch.

Also for what it is worth, I used a small knife blade to slip in those pesky take down pin spring detent pins along with a containment rag. They fly nice. HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I have used a spring loaded center punch to drive in most of my pins, worked for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts