Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a picture to show what an assault rifle is, and some history of it

Schmeisser MP43 MP44 Stg.44

The term "Assault Rifle" was coined by none other than Adolph Hitler and is a loose translation of Sturmgewehr which means: Storm Rifle (or assault rifle in a more literal terms)

It is FULLY AUTOMATIC and can be shoulder fired.

It is chambered for a 7.92x33 mm bullet and is stated to shoot about 500 rounds per minute.

If you are calling any other weapon an assault rifle besides the Sturmgewehr, you would be wrong in doing so.

Thank you and have a great day!!

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
892 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Just like "weapons of mass destruction", assault rifle has come to mean any rifle that can be used to scare the sheep.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
The assault part of the rifle is strictly in the operator's intent.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The US armed forces for one.

NRA-ILA :: Firearms Glossary
From the link you provided, the armed services do not classify semi-automatic weapons as assault rifles.

ASSAULT RIFLE
By U.S. Army definition, a selective-fire rifle chambered for a cartridge of intermediate power. If applied to any semi-automatic firearm regardless of its cosmetic similarity to a true assault rifle, the term is incorrect.

ASSAULT WEAPON
Any weapon used in an assault (see WEAPON).

·
Registered
706 Posts
Not liking the term doesn't change the use of the term.

Assault rifle is currently defined by many to be capable of firing a cartridge like 5.56X45 in full auto, among other things. This, to many, applies to an AR15 with a happy switch.

This has nothing to do with liking or disliking the term.

Many folks confuse assault rifle with assault weapon.

Many folks who don't like firearms are going to label them how they please, regardless of true definition and regardless of what those who do like firearms call them.

Many folks make a much bigger deal out of this than is necessary or helpful.

Instead of jumping all over people for the use of the term we should be helpful. If we believe the term is truly harming firearm rights then there are good ways to help the person along who is misusing the term. Some folks appear to be more interested in demeaning others and proving themselves correct than they are in helping the firearm community as a whole. When we are interested in helping others we don't make public humiliation necessary within our first attempt at helping.

We should all probably argue about the misuse of the term "clip" while were at it. :confused:

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i agree the deffinition has changed but what i think is an assault rifle is a
-select fire/burst/ full auto weapon
-ability to use 30 round+ mags (20 rounds min depending on caliber)
-built in a caliber that is a good for human to human conflicts

the items below arent needed to consider it an assault weapon but more but these features are often on weapons i consider assult weapons
-usually pistol grip (not important feature but i figured to throw it in)
-usually a threaded barrel

im sure im forgetting a few items

but like a MP5/7, m4/m16, AK-47 and variants (all in select fire, full auto, burst)

i do NOT think an semi auto ar-15 is an assault weapon

hell actually a factory ruger charger is considered a "assault weapon"!!! its a freaking 22lr pistol that weighs a freaking ton! and its assault weapon classification is for the mag outside the pistol grip and weight. so even with a 10" non-threaded barrel and 5 or 10 rounds mags its still an assault weapon!
oh yea i can really see a bunch of gang bangers rocking factory ruger chargers with 10 round mags!!!

this however is just my opinion as to what an assault rifle/pistol is

now a semi-auto only weapon of any kind i wouldn't consider an assault weapon

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think many are missing the point. The anti gun crowd is using the term because they like the AR designation to imply radical behavior in the owners.

Words are used as weapons by those who have a subversive agenda against the Second Amendment's guarantees.

AR stands for "Armalite Rifle" , period. The highjacking of the term to suit the Brady bunch and instill fear into the uninitiated in no way legitimizes the malaprop.

Simply giving in to the campaign by accepting the use because SOME ignoramouses try to brand AR 15s as such, either by ignorance or design, in no way makes it's use legitimate.

I have spoken!;)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Not liking the term doesn't change the use of the term. I agree...it is used out of context daily by many. Including politicians and media

Assault rifle is currently defined by many to be capable of firing a cartridge like 5.56X45 in full auto, among other things. This, to many, applies to an AR15 with a happy switch. Again, agree...but an AR-15 with a "Happy Switch" is no longer an AR-15. It would then be an M-16 or a varient. I believe Colt owns the name AR-15 now and it is strictly used by them for a semi-automatic rifle)

This has nothing to do with liking or disliking the term.

Many folks confuse assault rifle with assault weapon. Agree again...i would say by definition an AR-15 is NOT an assault rifle, but IS an assault weapon.

Many folks who don't like firearms are going to label them how they please, regardless of true definition and regardless of what those who do like firearms call them.

Many folks make a much bigger deal out of this than is necessary or helpful.

Instead of jumping all over people for the use of the term we should be helpful. If we believe the term is truly harming firearm rights then there are good ways to help the person along who is misusing the term. Some folks appear to be more interested in demeaning others and proving themselves correct than they are in helping the firearm community as a whole. When we are interested in helping others we don't make public humiliation necessary within our first attempt at helping. Agree here too...it does nothing to promote what we want by belittling someone who the lib media has brainwashed.

We should all probably argue about the misuse of the term "clip" while were at it. Probably should...there will soon be a graphic showing the difference! :confused:
Comments in red

·
Registered
706 Posts
Comments in red
Looks like we agree for the biggest part, but it appears I didn't make my main point clear.

No one has to agree, of course, but I'd like to help folks along who will take the help and make a good gun owners/voters of them. As opposed to pushing them away through public humiliation over the misuse of terms, amongst other common mistakes that are made. When done correctly, through proper relationship, we have much more to gain and we can then easily and properly help folks use terms that help our way of thinking.

We certainly must guard our rights. There are good and helpful ways to do this when the discussion is about folks who are leaning our direction.

How we handle the opposing beliefs are a different battle altogether. The two points do cross, of course, but we must be careful not to cause more harm than good in our approach to help our cause.

Maybe we should have a thread going about methods we use to help along new shooters/voters to learn from each other how to best help our way of thinking.

Thanks

·
Registered
921 Posts
From the link you provided, the armed services do not classify semi-automatic weapons as assault rifles.

ASSAULT RIFLE
By U.S. Army definition, a selective-fire rifle chambered for a cartridge of intermediate power. If applied to any semi-automatic firearm regardless of its cosmetic similarity to a true assault rifle, the term is incorrect.

ASSAULT WEAPON
Any weapon used in an assault (see WEAPON).
oh, no, i agree, if its semi then it cannot be an "assault" weapon

·
Registered
29,735 Posts
The AK and AR platforms were based on the Schmeisser MP43 MP44 Stg.44.
The "Schmeisser" (MP38/MP40) was a 9mm submachinegun (MP-MaschinePistole). Not the same thing at all as the Sturmgewehr.

According the the man, Mikhail Timofeyevich, the AK was not influenced by the StG; looking at design, I'd have to agree; same goes for the Stoner series of rifles.

It's kind of like saying all cars were based off of the Model-T.

·
Registered
29,735 Posts
And I'll add--if it doesn't have select fire, it's not an assault rifle.

To continue with the automotive example, it's kinda like saying a repro Cobra on a Volksawagen chassis is the same thing as a Cobra, just because it looks like one, and folks that don't know better call it that.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The definition of an assault rifle:

1) Select fire. If it doesn't have a full, or at least burst fire mode, it's not an assault rifle, though it may be an assault weapon if it's the weapon used in an assault.

2) Intermediate powered cartridge. The 7.9x33 was a cut down version of the Mauser 7.9. The 7.62x39 was a cut down version of the 7.62x54. The 5.56x45 was just of similar power, etc.

3) Action above the barrel, and stock in line with the boreline. This reduces muzzle rise and allows faster target reacquisition. Look at all of them. They have really tall sights.

4) Magazine fed. It doesn't really matter how many, but the more the better.

A select fire weapon firing a pistol cartridge like 9x19 or .45ACP is correctly referred to as a submachine gun, or SMG. The term "assault rifle" indeed derives from "Sturmgewehr", but is used to refer to any rifle following the same design philosophy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts