Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Barsto Magwell and Bump pads arrived today, install and shot a local IDPA match tonight. works great. Now I have a start for a L10 replacement for a aging SA TM 1911.

Thanks Bob and John

Check it out

http://community.webshots.com/album/352906493Wjgpes

·
Registered
249 Posts
I received mine from Barsto today as well but I have some issues with them. Does your Tactical have the old style frame hole or the new style? See the following post for an explanation. I have the newer style frame and even though they modified the insert for this new frame there is still an issue securing the magwell. I'm going to call them in the morning. I'm sure they'll get it straight. Otherwise I like it very much.

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=21727&highlight=frame

·
Registered
539 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
He has an old style frame.
you can tell by the pictures because he only has the one groove beneath the accessory rail

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Sweet, hopefully they call me soon. I am on the waiting list for a magazine well. If you put a OEM magazine in without the bump pad how far recessed is the base of the magazine in the mag well? I made some home made bump pad for my magazines with some super sticking double sided tape and some dense foam rubbers, but I not sure they will be thick enough after looking at your pictures.

mcb

PS if you don't mind me asking, how much was the magazine well and base pads?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I put an 1/8 in thick piece of dense foam rubber on the bottom to protect them from hitting the ground. Do you think this 1/8 inch build up will be enough?

mcb

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
You can use the Pearce plus twos with the mag well and they work really well plus are a whole lot cheaper.

MCB I swear the review will be finished, I as not aware that I had plans to build a retaining wall for the gf this weekend. It includes the info about the pearce and how to make it work.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Thanks ajamesp51,

I figured something came up. Keeping the gf (or wife) happy is important to your own happiness. I look forward to your review when ever you get it done.

Thanks
mcb

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Yea but the ones I had were for a couple of people, you might get faster results ordering direct from barsto right now, And really I am worried about stocking a bunch of them all at once becuase there are some kinks with the new generation frame and compatability.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are some fitting issues attaching the magwell..nothing that a set of nicholson machinest files could not take care of. I plan to send Bar-sto the before and after pics and a list of problem spots. I know these are new items fresh of the CNC and there will be some growing pains to start with now that their in production. But I think they hit the ball out of the park on it anyway....good job.

With the supplied bump pads, the mag has 4/32" sticking out of the magwell

Also, has anyone seen a xd set-up with a CR Speed rig in person?

One Last note if anyone is interested. I recieved a e-mail from Carver Scope Mounts today, they are working on their mount for the XD for use with C-More and Aimpoint sights...should be out late summer

·
Registered
249 Posts
Spankymac,

I'm not sure I follow all your mods. The notch in the frame I understand since I also did that to allow the set screw to settle on the frame. That allowed the Magwell to seat at the rear of the frame. I'm not sure I understand your reference to a "flat spot"? It looks like you opened up the rear of the magwell a bit more. Did you do that just to make it a bigger opening or to fix a problem? And what tools did you use to open it up and polish it?

Thanks for the posts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A_Med,

I'm sorry for the lack of details!

RE:
1. Flat spot / the front of the magwell was flat..no contour to match the grip frame. I used a dremel advantage with a bull nose stone to shape the the slot and then used a cloth polish attachment w/ mothers to slick up.....the magwell would not full seat on the grip frame and the mag would not release with the slide back

2. Set-screw pilot hole / as the set screw is tightened the magwell will walk off of the grip frame...after fix and 300 rounds tonight it's still tight

3. Rear of magwell opening / after the above mod's were done the the mag and bump pad were hitting the magwell (in the rear area the was machined by bar-sto after the finish was applied). I used a set of nicholson round handle needle machinist files to open the magwell and then used the dremel to slick it up.

After the match this weekend I plan to glass bead the magwell and powder coat both the magwell and bump pads. Also texture the grip frame.

Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hmmm. Thanks for the details. I've been thinking about re-finishing these parts as well. Do you own some sort of machine shop? How does one blast bead and apply powder coat? Are there special tools needed or can this be a do-it-yourself project. I'm pretty handy ;-)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts