Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much searching for and shooting of various handguns I finally decided on the XD9 for my first-ever handgun. (pause to let the applause quiet down) Being a smart, informed, law-abiding citizen of the beautiful state of Wisconsin in these our wonderful United States I bought the gun and filled out the appropriate bureaucratic BS paperwork on Wednesday. I figured the 48 hour waiting period would end on Friday; I could pick up the gun after work, and have the weekend to admire it, play with it, and oh yeah, shoot the hell out of some paper with it. Of course being the naive gun-buyer I am I didn't take into account the fact that Big Brother Sam knows what's best for po' little ol' me and in his infinite wisdom decide that since I might be some kind of criminal disguised as a productive, tax-paying family man, I should have to wait another 72 hours before taking possession of the handgun. Since we all know that the people that tend to use handguns for nefarious purposes go to great lengths to inform the government and ask permission first I guess they just "can't be too careful." Excuse the sarcasm. In reality I know that the reason for the delay is probably much more mundane. More than likely some dim bulb government employee just didn't bother doing his/her job in a timely fashion. Probably too busy sucking on the tax payer's teat and complaining about their "horrible" working conditions to actually perform their duties with anything resembling competency. I hate to break the news to everyone but it seems were living in a country where the government has to hire ten people in order to get one good employee. It's the old "10% rule of government employees." One out of every ten government employees are worth a damn. Well, that's enough for now. Suffice it to say I'm kinda peeved. Sorry about the venting. If anybody needs me I'll be curled in the corner gnashing my teeth and pulling out my hair.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did you get delayed during your NICS check?

Used to happen to me a lot. Even picking up my own gun from a pawn shop. Started out three days, then 1, then 1 hour. Now, it seems to go through no problem.

There are possible reasons. There might be a nefarious person who shares your name. There might be a flag on your SSN because someone else has tried to use it before. Maybe their computer system took a beating from an email virus. You never can tell.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
HAHAHA suckers. I can pick up a gun about as fast as it takes to point at the gun, fill out a 4473 and pay the man.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Real nice NExd, gloat, gloat at our expense. I hope you can live with yourself knowing you can get yours right now and we have to wait. Oh wait, I suppose you can! :D .

But, but we have sunshine, so there!

Enjoy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I feel your pain, it took me 50 weeks to get the purchse permit, and 12 minutes to buy the gun...NICS check and all! Gotta love bureaucracy.

·
Registered
401 Posts
$30 fee, permit takes 6 weeks. You have to tell them if its an air, rimfire, centre fire or black powder pistol even before you know what you are going to buy. Paper work when you get there about 15 minutes.
Australia, land of the suppressed!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I over-reacted just a bit. :oops: What I've learned here is: At least I'm not in CA, as previously stated. And: I wish I was living wherever it is that NExd is living.

I still stand by my "%10 rule of government employees" . . . .

:roll:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here in the grand ole state of North Carolina if you have a CCW, which took me 2 weeks to get :lol: , you no longer need a pistol purchase permit. So like Nexd, I can walk in and get whatever I want, no wait, no background check. I love the south!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yep, here in NE you get a handgun purchase permit for $5, takes about three days to get and then your good for three years.

·
Registered
325 Posts
NExd said:
HAHAHA suckers. I can pick up a gun about as fast as it takes to point at the gun, fill out a 4473 and pay the man.
This is exactly my case too. Gotta love it!

(And we have all the sunshine we can handle too) :lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
fifthcolumn said:
Maybe I over-reacted just a bit. :oops: What I've learned here is: At least I'm not in CA, as previously stated. And: I wish I was living wherever it is that NExd is living.

I still stand by my "%10 rule of government employees" . . . .

:roll:
Just don't overreact when you've got this new gun in your hand! :)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
No fee for a Purchase Permit just a 7 day waiting period to get it!
MY CCW acts as a Purchase Permit!
NCIS takes like 3 minutes and I am out the door!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anybody know if it's possible to be denied altogether? Or if they might put another extension?

I have no felonies on my record. Nothing more serious than speeding tickets in fact. No restraining orders or any of the other things that are asked on the NICS form. . . . .

·
Registered
325 Posts
fifthcolumn said:
Does anybody know if it's possible to be denied altogether? Or if they might put another extension?

I have no felonies on my record. Nothing more serious than speeding tickets in fact. No restraining orders or any of the other things that are asked on the NICS form. . . . .
You would know it if you did something to be denied.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you are going to be denied, they have to do it within 3 working days otherwise you get the gun. Saturday and Sunday aren't working days. Gotta love the Texas CHL because it is a NICS check.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Actually, you have to wait three full business days. AFTER the third full business day the FFL holder has to make the call. It's now at THEIR discretion as to whether they transfer or not.

·
Registered
168 Posts
pa hs no waiting period took me 10 min. to get my ccw :D

takes about 5 min. to walk out the door with a new gun :D

i just bought a xd40 and a glock 20 about 3 days ago and i was out the door in 20 min. gota love pa :D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts