·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Army to Test New 'Green' Bullets

Published May 04, 2011
| FoxNews.com

U.S.Army

The Army's new round replaces the current M855 5.56mm cartridge that has been used by U.S. troops since the early 1980s. The Army claims the M855A1 is more dependable, a more consistent performer, improves accuracy, moves faster.

ABERDEEN, Md. – The most familiar item in the Army's arsenal is getting an upgrade.

The M855 bullet was designed in the 70s -- and has been in use since then, despite some complaints from soldiers that it's often less than effective .The new M855A1, which the Army will be demonstrating Wednesday at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland, is deadlier, faster, and may soon replace its older cousin.

The new ammunition is notable for being "green" for one thing; it's lead-free, meaning the new ammo is environmentally friendly, the Army said. The military began providing the lead-free round last June to U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan.

A live-fire demonstration will be held Wednesday morning at the post. Soldiers will fire the new and old rounds, as well as a third type, to compare the performance of all three on identical targets. The targets will include a parked vehicle, steel plates and building materials.

Army officials acknowledged that the M855 "has not been providing the 'stopping power' the user would like at engagement ranges less than 150 yards," according to a 2005 briefing, the Army Times reported last year.

But ballistics experts point out no bullet is perfect; the new rounds won't be substantially more deadly, in other words.

“There is not a bullet in this world that will do that,” Dr. Martin Fackler, former director of the Wound Ballistics Laboratory at the Letterman Army Institute of Research who also served in the Vietnam War as a combat surgeon, told the Army Times. “Even if you take the guy’s heart apart, he can still shoot back at you for 15 seconds because he’s still got enough oxygen in the blood in his brain to do it.”

The Army says the new ammunition is the first developed as part of a "greening"' effort for small-caliber ammunition.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If works better than it's great, but I really don't want to see our military trying to go green on the battlefield. Hope they are considering fouling issues.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you don't want to see our troops charging into battle (3 at a time because it won't hold any more) using Assault Priuses... Prii... Whatever, you know what I mean.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Sounds kinda silly considering our military uses depleted uranium ammunition. I think lead is the least of our worries out of the 2.

DEPLETED URANIUM: USES AND HAZARDS

·
Registered
17,758 Posts
Will go along nicely with the pink 782 gear they will soon be issuing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Will go along nicely with the pink 782 gear they will soon be issuing
Secret code for Marine speaking (782). Been there done that.

What the heck is friendly about war? How environmentally friendly is a 500# bomb or for the global warming types a section of fighters overhead.

This is pure stupid unless it was a ploy to get better bullets which then playing the greens for some green in the budget is fine with me.

Clutch
USMC 75-79

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
I can't f***ing believe it.

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
It's more for ranges here in the US.

There was a Army range in Massachusetts (iirc) that was declared a toxic waste site, and a threat to groundwater, due to all of the lead leaching.

·
Registered
786 Posts
so true on for the ranges here.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Too bad the myth of lead leaching/migration is just that, a myth.

Best data shows that lead bullets fired into the soil will leach lead at the rate of about 6" per century.

Lead oxidizes pretty quickly in the soil and lead oxide is pretty tough.

·
Registered
39 Posts
led comes from the ground, it is only logical that it ends up back in it. what goes up must come down.

if we decide that a naturally occurring mineral is bad for the earth and all its inhabitants that have lived with it for thousands of years what are we gonna do? mine every last oz of led and shoot it into space?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our club spreads lime on the shot gun feel as a counter measure to lead migration.

One would wonder if simple counter measures such as that would be a heck of a lot more economic than very expensive bullets.

Szumi

·
Super Moderator
22,195 Posts
Oh I bet those are expensive....

·
Premium Member
127,706 Posts
Now let's change the caliber to something with real stopping power. I have never been a fan of the 5.56mm.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Oh I bet those are expensive....
Exactly. It will serve the same purpose at 3x the cost.

On another note, is there anything left in this country that doesn't have a "green" or environmentally friendly logo on it? I'm all for environmental conservation, but if it's minimally effective and 5x the price, I'll pass.

Hell, I've never seen anything with the word "eco" on it so much than the packaging of my new TV. It's a freaking TV!

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Just wait till the Federal government tries to make a law requiring all ammo manufacturers to stop using lead for more "green" types of materials to make ammo.

Then watch prices sky rocket.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts