Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of getting beat up by the Blue Wonder crowd and others here that have a specific favorite cleaning method for the polymer frame, I would like to share the response that I received from Springfield Armory:

My question to SA:

"I recently purchased a Springfield Armory XD40. This is the first firearm with polymer components that I have owned.

What solvents or cleaning materials do you recommend for the polymer frame of the firearm? Would WD-40 or like spray cleaners harm the frame and weaken it.

What would the effects be if I were to use a fast drying spray like Birchwood Casey's Gun Scrubber?

Or, what are your thoughts about using a "soap and water" approach with Simple Green solution?

Your expert advise is very much appreciated, thank you."

Response from Springfield Armory (Terry Bowers):

"You can use the same solvents on the polymer frame as you would use on the steel slide. However, some solvents, such as WD-40 could possibly leave behind a slippery residue. Your best bet would be to stick with the soap and water or simple green approach. That polymer is very resistant to most solvents. Try to stay away from the very powerful solvents, as all you will need to clean the polymer will be a good cleaning oil. I hope this helps a little. Please let me know if you have anymore questions. Thanks."

I am a purist when it comes to firearms, I trust the experts. Seems like the Simple Green crowd is on to something here. Going to buy a bottle tonight.

Caveat: I'm sure that everyone here has a better way of doing things. Whatever works for you is good for you. Every man has a right to care for his firearm as he sees fit. As it is his life that he will be defending, as well as the lives of those he loves.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i use palmolive because it makes my hands soft.

actually I use what ever dishwashing soap i have, which it happens to be palmolive because the orginal is really cheap.

I do it to remove the oil on the grip (oil from my hands, oil from cleaning, etc).

I think it makes it easier to grip.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes i also use Simple green at times and a gooid oil wipe down and a little ( Very Little) High Pressure High temperature Grease in key point areas on the gun.. Personal prefrence. Works for me.Over 1200 + Rounds in my XD 9MM - Tactical with 0 Problems.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Windex and an old tooth brush. Gets all the skin out of the checkering.

·
Registered
401 Posts
When I find it necessary to clean the outside of the polymer frame (doesn't happen very much) I use Slip 2000's gun degreasing spray, a water based cleaner.

For cleaning fouling out of the inside of the frame, I generally use the same stuff I use on the metal parts. This is usually FP10 or something similar. It doesn't harm the polymer and leaves a film behind that makes future cleaning easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts