1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
It just amazes me what the current state of corporate and government leadership and decision making has come to. It's as if some evil empire spread a ****-for-brains virus into our air supply, but it missed me.
Or, ah, did it?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Well unless you plan to go kiss him or some how come in contact with his blood vomit diarrhea or urine your likely pretty safe. It IS NOT transmitted by air only through contact with the person directly. No reason to freak out.

·
Premium Member
127,978 Posts
^ Exactly!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Kinda reminds me of the 90s, when the rookie EMTs/PMs were afraid to even do a primary exam on an HIV patient (P/BP/PulseOx).

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Well unless you plan to go kiss him or some how come in contact with his blood vomit diarrhea or urine your likely pretty safe. It IS NOT transmitted by air only through contact with the person directly. No reason to freak out.
read Richard Preston's The Hot Zone...this virus has mutated and become airborne before...in the US...in DC...in a simian quarantine facility on the Virginia side of the Potomac; the only reason it didn't jump species was because of USAMRIID's intervention and proximity to the place...

its a good read, but it will scare the f--- outta you

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
read Richard Preston's The Hot Zone...this virus has mutated and become airborne before...in the US...in DC...in a simian quarantine facility on the Virginia side of the Potomac; the only reason it didn't jump species was because of USAMRIID's intervention and proximity to the place...

its a good read, but it will scare the f--- outta you
Exactly, virus's due what they due best they mutate to fight off being killed.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Viruses mutate all the time. That is how viruses work. Even if Ebola somehow doesn't mutate, the infected will be hemorrhaging into their lungs and be coughing.

This general white-washing of a deadly disease's ability to spread has me doubting the CDC's ability to contain it.

While we are on the subject of Aids;
How many extra people got infected by Aids because somehow the infection status of that one disease became politically protected and something that you couldn't talk about?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I wouldn't let my guard down if I were you. Don't forget the secondary items, like the contaminated rubber gloves. ( which law enforcement tends to leave on the ground wherever they drop ) Then there's the bed linens, clothing, and various other bio-hazardous waste items. I wonder how many people handled the doctor's phone that he coughed on?

I've seen Doctors and nurses put on rubber gloves, handle patients, then use door knobs with gloves still on, then go back to patient with same gloves. It happens EVERYDAY.

US Healthcare workers have only recently noticed that they are spreading dangerous infections while using their stethoscope from one person to the next without EVER being washed or sterilized.

·
Registered
907 Posts
CDC director admits on Face The Nation, that Ebola can also be transmitted via sweat. So, don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Others apparently contaminated by touching dead loved ones at funerals. Who knows what or who they touched afterwards.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
"I say we take off...nuke the site from orbit...its the only way to be sure"

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Plane from Africa lands in England, patient gets off the plane and dies.

Ebola terror at Gatwick as passenger collapses and dies getting off Sierra Leone flight - Mirror Online

Staff tell of fears as jet from Africa is quarantined after the death of passenger who was 'sweating and vomiting' before she collapsed.

Airport staff tonight told of their fears of an Ebola outbreak after a passenger from Sierra Leone collapsed and died as she got off a plane at Gatwick.

Workers said they were terrified the virus could spread globally through the busy international hub from the West African country which is in the grip of the deadly epidemic.

The woman, said to be 72, became ill on the gangway after she left a Gambia Bird jet with 128 passengers on board. She died in hospital on Saturday.
They then quarantined the plane.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
As others have mentioned, someone needs to do their homework. It has been airborne before. Can always happen again.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
As others have mentioned, someone needs to do their homework. It has been airborne before. Can always happen again.

Someone else needs to not freak out about everything.
According to all I've seen and read it is ONLY transferable by direct contact with bodily fluids. Personally I much prefer them bringing them here in a controlled situation vs a guy flys back from Liberia and spends 3 weeks amongst the populace and the shows symptoms. Then I might get concerned right now I am not in the least worried about this disease.

From CDC wbsite

Transmission
Because the natural reservoir of ebolaviruses has not yet been proven, the manner in which the virus first appears in a human at the start of an outbreak is unknown. However, researchers have hypothesized that the first patient becomes infected through contact with an infected animal.
When an infection does occur in humans, there are several ways in which the virus can be transmitted to others. These include:
direct contact with the blood or secretions of an infected person
exposure to objects (such as needles) that have been contaminated with infected secretions
The viruses that cause Ebola HF are often spread through families and friends because they come in close contact with infectious secretions when caring for ill persons.
During outbreaks of Ebola HF, the disease can spread quickly within health care settings (such as a clinic or hospital). Exposure to ebolaviruses can occur in health care settings where hospital staff are not wearing appropriate protective equipment, such as masks, gowns, and gloves.
Proper cleaning and disposal of instruments, such as needles and syringes, is also important. If instruments are not disposable, they must be sterilized before being used again. Without adequate sterilization of the instruments, virus transmission can continue and amplify an outbreak.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Someone else needs to not freak out about everything.
According to all I've seen and read it is ONLY transferable by direct contact with bodily fluids. Personally I much prefer them bringing them here in a controlled situation vs a guy flys back from Liberia and spends 3 weeks amongst the populace and the shows symptoms. Then I might get concerned right now I am not in the least worried about this disease.

From CDC wbsite

Transmission
Because the natural reservoir of ebolaviruses has not yet been proven, the manner in which the virus first appears in a human at the start of an outbreak is unknown. However, researchers have hypothesized that the first patient becomes infected through contact with an infected animal.
When an infection does occur in humans, there are several ways in which the virus can be transmitted to others. These include:
direct contact with the blood or secretions of an infected person
exposure to objects (such as needles) that have been contaminated with infected secretions
The viruses that cause Ebola HF are often spread through families and friends because they come in close contact with infectious secretions when caring for ill persons.
During outbreaks of Ebola HF, the disease can spread quickly within health care settings (such as a clinic or hospital). Exposure to ebolaviruses can occur in health care settings where hospital staff are not wearing appropriate protective equipment, such as masks, gowns, and gloves.
Proper cleaning and disposal of instruments, such as needles and syringes, is also important. If instruments are not disposable, they must be sterilized before being used again. Without adequate sterilization of the instruments, virus transmission can continue and amplify an outbreak.
oh, well since the CDC said it...:roll:
READ THE HOT ZONE and then chime in...I don't believe anything the Government feeds me...ever...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts