Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here goes. They are the same thing. Unless you are talking about 9x18mm which is shorter. 9x19mm, 9mm parabelum(sp?), and 9mm luger are all the same round. The luger original came in 7.65mm and some countries buying the gun wanted a bigger bang, so 9mm was invented.

HTH,
Chris Cahill

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
hey it was an honest question
i didn't know the answer so i asked
my deepest apologies for not knowing :roll:

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
True. Georg Luger designed the first "Pistole Parabellum" in 7.62 or what we call "30 Luger" then, when they found the 30 Luger lacking in stopping power, he re-designed the pistol to work with a 124gr 9mm projectile and the 9mm Parabellum/Luger was born.

Many countries in Europe do not allow their citizens to own pistols in military calibers, so the 30 Luger was the caliber of several civilian versions of German and Swiss Parabellum pistoles. The Hi-Power was also chambered for this round as were some early Beretta, Mauser and Walther autos.

The P-08 or what we call the "Luger" was the first 9mm military issued autopistol. The Germans used these in WWI and in the between war years and used a combination of P-08s and the then new Walther P-38 9mms to outfit their army. When they ran over Belguim in 1941, they issued the Hi-Power to their troops as well, until the end of their occupation of FN in 1944.

...ok...enough on the history lesson of the 9mm round..ok?

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
FatMatt1981 said:
hey it was an honest question
i didn't know the answer so i asked
my deepest apologies for not knowing :roll:
I was just trying to figure out why he'd start a thread with just that, but since it appears to be a new topic instead of post reply, it makes sense.

No need to apologize. That's how we learn, by asking questions. :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i can't help but to feel bad for bein ignorant to some things
it's amazing how people can make ya feel like some kinda moron when ya gotta ask somethin..."are you serious, you gotta be kidding me, are ya fu*&in stupid" seems to be the norm for some people that are so educated that they forget people skills
However that being said, I am thankful for the honest responses to my question....I don't think I'll blow my brand new weapon apart just because I put the wrong 9mm round in it.....since from my other thread there is like a dozen different variations of the round
I guess this can go along with the question I once asked a gun shop..."what is the ACP for in .45acp" :?

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
..."what is the ACP for in .45acp"
Automatic Colt Pistol..if you're asking!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
nah it wasn't a new question....just another example of one of my silly questions that I have made people look at me as if I was stoned or somethin :mrgreen:

·
Registered
388 Posts
FatMatt1981 said:
I guess this can go along with the question I once asked a gun shop..."what is the ACP for in .45acp" :?
My favourite question to ask at gun stores: "You're kidding, right?" It's generally asked when looking at a price tag.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
oh the drama

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Brickboy240 said:
True. Georg Luger designed the first "Pistole Parabellum" in 7.62 or what we call "30 Luger" then, when they found the 30 Luger lacking in stopping power, he re-designed the pistol to work with a 124gr 9mm projectile and the 9mm Parabellum/Luger was born.

Many countries in Europe do not allow their citizens to own pistols in military calibers, so the 30 Luger was the caliber of several civilian versions of German and Swiss Parabellum pistoles. The Hi-Power was also chambered for this round as were some early Beretta, Mauser and Walther autos.

The P-08 or what we call the "Luger" was the first 9mm military issued autopistol. The Germans used these in WWI and in the between war years and used a combination of P-08s and the then new Walther P-38 9mms to outfit their army. When they ran over Belguim in 1941, they issued the Hi-Power to their troops as well, until the end of their occupation of FN in 1944.

...ok...enough on the history lesson of the 9mm round..ok?

-Brickboy240
I think that the original rounds were only 115 grain, the 124 grain came much later. At least that is what Ian V. Hogg (probably the world's foremost expert on military small arms) states in all of his books. Everything else in the above quote appears correct.

·
Registered
66 Posts
FatMatt1981 said:
nah it wasn't a new question....just another example of one of my silly questions that I have made people look at me as if I was stoned or somethin :mrgreen:
You want silly? I asked another forum once what LEO stands for. I'm ARIES if that would help. :wink:

vega

·
Registered
68 Posts
The 9mm we buy today has a smaller diameter than the original design. Also it has a tapered case.Not much but all I have measured are.9mm barrel chambers vary in diameter also.

Ed

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't ask if you were serious to put you down. I just wasn't sure if it was an actual post, or someone messing around.

If it makes you feel any better when I started looking to buy a gun I had no idea what the difference was between double and single action.

:oops:
Chris Cahill

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
ya prolly thought they was referring to double barrel shotguns didnt ya?? :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts