Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be owned by civilians? I've been told that possession of military tracer rounds will get you one year of prison for every round you have.

True of false?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
yes depending state. california they are illegal but idaho they are legal. most states they are legal.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
What makes them illegal is the fire hazard they pose. And as you can see on the news, CALIFORNIA IS BURNING!!!

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
They're illegal in some states, just check your local laws. They can be fairly dangerous if your rounds end up hitting that could possibly catch on fire. Seen it happen dozens of times.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Not that I find tracer rounds all that cool, but they do have a place. Are they legal here in michiagan?? I've read a couple things that say yes, and a couple that say no. Nothing official. Anybody know for sure? :confused:

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
I shoot them during the winter here in the Pacific northwest since it is so wet. I shoot them across a 500 yard wide canyon into a rock wall and watch them ricochet ... pretty danged cool! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
now you need some .50 APIT :p

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Want an eye-opener?
Shoot some at night into your outside range's berm and see where they go, see how many of them ricochet off into the moonlight.
It's amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Want an eye-opener?
Shoot some at night into your outside range's berm and see where they go, see how many of them ricochet off into the moonlight.
It's amazing.
interesting, i wonder how many thousands of round's ricochet off that berm through the year?

i purchased a box of 100 tracer's a few weeks back, dont really have a use for them, just thought they would be nice to have around.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Want an eye-opener?
It's amazing.
Amazing? I would have used the description of discombobulating and worrisome.

The crazy thing I saw was at the range a couple months ago, and when working in the butts, all the trees behind it for 100 yards or so where cut to the same height.

I've had friends get shot by ricochets, not cool, at least when they ricochet they loose most of their power.

When I was in camp when I was 12, I won a bet shooting off a peice of wood and bouncing it through the bullzeye It took like ten rounds to get it right.

I've had to call the firedepartment for starting fires with my 240 before (well the Ssgt called them)

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Tracers show you the trajectory bullets take after ricocheting is absolutely nuts. Completely random. Like watching a fireworks show.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
We were out plinking some time back and found a pile of old rail bedding plates someone had dumped.These are the 1/2" thick cast iron plates they used to use to install the railroad tracks over the ties.We hung them up and started to "ring" them with 5.56 and 7.62.One of the guys I was with had 7.62 tracers,and when he shot a plate it didn't ring.When we looked at the plate he hit ,it had a hole thru it that looked melted.Even armor piercing just skittered off these plates ,but the tracers melted thru.Very cool.Just be careful you don't set anything on fire.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
We were out plinking some time back and found a pile of old rail bedding plates someone had dumped.These are the 1/2" thick cast iron plates they used to use to install the railroad tracks over the ties.We hung them up and started to "ring" them with 5.56 and 7.62.One of the guys I was with had 7.62 tracers,and when he shot a plate it didn't ring.When we looked at the plate he hit ,it had a hole thru it that looked melted.Even armor piercing just skittered off these plates ,but the tracers melted thru.Very cool.Just be careful you don't set anything on fire.

I do beleive that was an incendiary round. I could be wrong, but I heard they look just like tracers (when fired). Except they were designed to melt holes in metal. I beleive those ARE illegal, not sure though. Just going by what I've been told. :|

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yeah, that's GOTTA be an incendiary round. Those WILL start a fire in a hurry. I think legality is still only restricted by state/local law with them, but be SUPER careful playing around with those.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Legal in Oregon year round...BUT one would have to be max stupid to shoot them in the woods....OR ANYWHERE during fire season. Wintertime with very wet woods (60 plus inches rain annually) they are fun.

Got a friend with a belt gun and let me tell you, fun is loading up some links with EVERY ROUND A DAYLIGHT RED!!! then shooting them up safely like in a rock quarry. Fun fun fun. But, I live in SW Oregon.

Me thinks that even POSSESSION of one (1) tracer round will get you into deep do do in the state of Commiefornia. Don't even think about doing it. Not worth 1 to 3 in state prison. Yep!! You can move to OR. HB of CJ. :) :) :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts