Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a XD40SC magazine, so I was running some rounds through my XD by hand to make sure it fed properly. Everything checked out, but I noticed that some of the cases got creased somehow. A few stovepiped because I was manually operating the slide, but I didn't stovepipe more than a few (several rounds have the indention).

So anyway, can anyone think of any reason the cases would be creased (besides the stovepiping), and are the rounds safe to fire since the aluminum may have thinned out somewhat?

Thanks
-hype

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
I usually check feeding issues by firing the gun at the range, not cycling live rounds through it at home.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NExd said:
I usually check feeding issues by firing the gun at the range, not cycling live rounds through it at home.
Agreed, but I can't get to the range for a few days and I'm using the XD40SC mags so I wanted to see if the feed lips needed to be bent inwards. The creased cases are just a byproduct of testing out the magazine.
-hype

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
xHypex said:
NExd said:
Agreed, but I can't get to the range for a few days and I'm using the XD40SC mags so I wanted to see if the feed lips needed to be bent inwards. The creased cases are just a byproduct of testing out the magazine.
-hype

I see. I wouldnt bend the feed lips in as much :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
the indents come from when you press hard on the round above, and the rim creases the casing of the round below, when loading a mag. Blazers have the aluminum casing which is soft.

I have some brass-cased ammo that also has the indent, from forcing 12 rounds into a modified mag, and also because I'm just a beast like that and don't know my own strength.

I have shot these rounds and find no problem with them. I was concerned about possible pressure changes, but I'm a demon like that and just took things in my own hands to see for myself if they would malfunction: they didn't.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whtvrsclvr said:
the indents come from when you press hard on the round above, and the rim creases the casing of the round below, when loading a mag. Blazers have the aluminum casing which is soft.

I have some brass-cased ammo that also has the indent, from forcing 12 rounds into a modified mag, and also because I'm just a beast like that and don't know my own strength.

I have shot these rounds and find no problem with them. I was concerned about possible pressure changes, but I'm a demon like that and just took things in my own hands to see for myself if they would malfunction: they didn't.
Good deal, thanks for the explanation; makes total sense, but I didn't even think of it :oops:

I forgot to mention that I was trying out my
Super Thumb for the first time with a stiff XD40SC mag that took some effort to get 13 rounds into :lol:
-hype

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seems like these indentations might have been caused by the cartriges slapping against the rear of the ejection port as you racked the slide. I don't kno what type of Al alloy blazer uses for the cases, and while som Al alloy is as strong and nearly as hard as steel, these probably are much softer (if anyone knows the alloy used in Blazer cases...). I have had cases on handloads with bulges and such from excessive resizing function perfectly and have even seen this on factory rounds. I have also fired 8mm mauser ammo with cracked case mouths (ahead of the shoulder) with no ill effects and fairly average accuracy. Bottom line is I doubt there would be any ill effects in firing this ammo, but I wouldn't use it for defensive purposes. There might be loss of accuracy or increase in pressure (probably not more than a +P load).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts