Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a XD 45 service model that I love, but my wife and I have recently received our CCW's here in AR and I have been carrying the XD 45 in a Supertuck. It feels great in the Supertuck, but it prints easily which limits what I can wear a great deal. I've been wanting to sell this XD 45 service to buy a compact version of the same gun, as I love this 45. Money is tight and I also need to buy a gun for my wife to carry everyday, which is why I'm having to sell and this brings me to the point--for those who carry the XD compact 45 everyday, do you love it for CCW or is there any other gun you wish you had bought instead for daily carry? I think I have a buyer for my service model and I don't want to have buyer's remorse if I go with the XD 45 compact. I'd love to hear from you guys. Thanks again.

Todd Milam

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Xd-45c is wonderful. mine has the 4" barrel which is more flexible for carry options. I carry it in a SmartCarry down the front of my pants with the grip just about at the heighth of my belt...just barely out of sight. Won't print out in the jeans I usually wear or denim shorts in the summer. In one pair of pants this won't work but will with most. This is using the "two-gun" type of SmartCarry. You can use the other side for the 13-round mag or some have used it for cross draw. Also, by adjusting the SmartCarry up higher you can use it around the side as an IWB type of holster. With no heavy duty belt(or no belt at all) and no clips over your waistband this doesn't have the signs of GUN showing.
Along with this you really should have a Kel-Tec 380 equipped with a pocket holster and it might be well add an accessory belt clip. This makes a good back-up always and may be the main thing in warm weather or times when concealment is hard.
With these two guns you're ready for just about all CCW situations. :D

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
+1 on the XD 45 compact. my wife prefers to shoot our XD 9 sub-compact. That thing disappears in the supertuck.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I carry my XD45 Compact as a primary gun when I am working or if I think I need the additional fire power. I started with a Supertuck but since I received my K&D Dakota Defender I have used it most often. For casual carry particularly with light clothes I have switched from a 7 shot 357 to a Kahr CW9 which I find much easier to conceal. If I could only have one gun for both carry and home defense it would be the XD45 Compact.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You can't go wrong with the 45 compact. I find it's easier to conceal than my HK USP Compact in 40. Thats using a Comp-tac holster for the H&K. For the XD I'm using an AKJ Concealco holster. AKJ Concealco LLC - Concealment gun holsters, personal defense related equipment, and other gunleather. It has to be the most comfortable IWB I've ever used and it hides the XD effortlessly.
After looking at XDs and owning the 45 Compact the compact is my hands down favorite. I prefer the shorter grip of the Compact over the grip of the Service. I find the Service is too big and in turn lends its self to spreading your hand out while the Compact lends its self to a nice high and tight grip. Flush fitting 10 rounders for carry and 13 round services mags for reloads you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I considered the grip chop, but would rather not void the warranty on the frame, besides, I like the looks of the black/stainless steel bi-tone better anyway. Back to the Kel-Tec, I've heard their longevity/build quality is not the greatest. Was I misinformed? I'm still listening to any and all suggestions, though. Thanks for the encouragement with the compact so far.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I considered the grip chop, but would rather not void the warranty on the frame, besides, I like the looks of the black/stainless steel bi-tone better anyway. Back to the Kel-Tec, I've heard their longevity/build quality is not the greatest. Was I misinformed? I'm still listening to any and all suggestions, though. Thanks for the encouragement with the compact so far.
The Kel-Tec is not a gun that should be expected to shoot thousands of rounds or to survive the heavy abuse an XD has been tested for. It's a locked-breech design that weighs only 11 ounces fully loaded and can hide where a bigger gun can't. Their design is a remarkable achievement that has recently been copied by another company that couldn't design anything better or even make one improvement in it.
This design stretches the boundaries of what can be done about as far as they'll stretch. Making them be reliable took some practice and the early versions had their problems. The second generation has adifferent extractor design and they now polish some spots in the feed ramp. You still need to keep them clean and use decent ammunition.
That being said they're the best thing anywhere for CCW when something bigger can't be carried...it's the always gun.
Might mention too that it's the best gun a woman could possibly have. Women's clothes make a gun very had to hide. Fit a little KT with the clip-on connector the company offers and she'll probably manage to stash it somewhere handy...not in the jumble of a purse. If she really needs to protect herself it's no time to look for the gun and it shouldn't be one of the junk 25s with pink grips that go on sale for mother's day and probably won't shoot when needed.
If the KT doesn't please you then get ready to add size and a whole lot of weight because there really isn't a plan B to be had. Nearest thing is the copy which is having its problems. Anything this close to the edge of possibility isn't real easy to copy reliably.
Pardon my ranting:roll: but I do feel strongly about the virtues of KT and XD. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
never took it as a rant kipsatcharly. you shed some light on a gun that only hearsay had covered at this point for me. this is the kind of info that I'm looking for. thanks again.:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I carry a LCP everyday in my front pocket, even when Im carrying my XDcompact. Your wife will like the smaller size of the LCP and it packs a good punch with the right round. As for you you should carry what you are 100% comfortable with, if its the XD then so be it. I carried a Govt 1911 for close to 23yrs as a duty/ carry weapon and retired it after I got my first XD - which was the tact. XD 2-tone. so I know what you mean by printing, thats why I changed to the compact for the summer months and back to the tact so more in the winter months.
so you will not go wrong with the compact at all, plus if you like the longer bbl just get the compact tact.

hope it helps some

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
One thing that I would like to point out in my experience shooting my Bro-In-Law's Kel-Tec. IMHO it is small and light and hard to hold onto during recoil. The only problem he ever had with it is sometimes the slide would not lock back on an empty mag. It did go boom everytime. I would recommend you shoot it before you buy it, if you can, and make sure it's something you and your wife can shoot comfortably. That being said my Bro-In-Law is 5'7", skinny as a rail, and likes to wear tighter fitting clothes. I could never tell if he was packing or not. He carried in the pocket and IWB. Like kitsapcharly said great for what it's intended for. BTW I'm waiting for my CWP (on pins and needles, cursing the mailman everyday it's not delivered) and a the XD45Compact is going to be the gun I carry. I hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I carry the 45 Compact in a Comp-Tac M-Tac regularly. The only issue I had was in the summer printing with some t-shirts. I picked up the XD 9mm SC to solve that problem. Since I'm swapping guns I wanted to keep the "feel" consistent as possible in the controls, mag release, etc. (this is something to consider in case you might carry your wife's gun depending on circumstances).

Plus I already have the 9mm Tactical that I can share mags with (with grip extensions).

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have 3 XD's but when it comes to concealment and carrying, my choice is a Taurus PT 745 Millinium Pro, with Hornaday +p 230g XTP/JHP.

Love it and have never had a issue with it, the 3rd generation PT's are way better than the first two.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
For a Back Up gun or as a primary gun for quick trips to the store I have been extremely impressed with the new Kahr CW9 I just bought. This gun is light, thin and very easy to conceal in a front pocket or belly band. During the 200 round break in was very accurate right out of the box. The DOA trigger is long but very smooth and I even like the dot over bar sights. The accuracy did drop off some after about 150 rounds but this was probably due to both dirt and a very hot barrel. The CW9 is bigger than the Kel Tec or the LCP but it is an 8 shot 9mm. I have not done a test yet with defense rounds but I suspect it will be selective about which rounds it prefers. I would not hesitate to recommend this gun to a women for a CCW gun as it was very easy to operate and in 9mm the recoil is minor. Having used XD Sub Compacts and 38/357 revolvers as BU guns I can say that the Kahr is much easier to conceal carry because of it's light weight and thin frame. I will also say that firing 200 rounds in about 20 mins. did kinda wear me out with just a single magazine and spare mags are pretty pricey. For $450 retail this is a very nice CCW gun in a 9mm format, it is also available in 40S&W and 45ACP but I fear the recoil may be a lot for this light a gun.

·
Registered
50 Posts
to the point--for those who carry the XD compact 45 everyday, do you love it for CCW YES or is there any other gun you wish you had bought instead for daily carry ? NO (I put my 1911 in the safe since I bought my xd 45c) I think I have a buyer for my service model and I don't want to have buyer's remorse if I go with the XD 45 compact. Very doubtful!!! I'd love to hear from you guys. Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts