Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been reading reviews on tfos and i just read that they are radioactive and i was wondering if the vial were to break how hazardous would it be to my health? i know the amount of radiation would be minimul at best but it would still be harmful wouldnt it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you come into contact with more radiation from being outside in the sun every day than you would from the tritium in one of those vials. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Or a microwave.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Very slightly radioactive... definitely not dangerous unless you are eating vials of them on a daily basis.

Quote from Wiki...

Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen, which allows it to readily bind to hydroxyl radicals, forming tritiated water (HTO), and to carbon atoms. Since tritium is a low energy beta emitter, it is not dangerous externally (its beta particles are unable to penetrate the skin), but it is a radiation hazard when inhaled, ingested via food or water, or absorbed through the skin.[14][15][16][17] HTO has a short biological half-life in the human body of seven to 14 days, which both reduces the total effects of single-incident ingestion and precludes long-term bioaccumulation of HTO from the environment

·
Premium Member
128,397 Posts
Do not ingest...otherwise you will be fine. ;)

·
Registered
29,893 Posts
IIRC, I read that if you took several thousand of the tritium vials and broke them all while you were in a small, sealed room--like a small closet--you'd be exposed to the same amount of radiation as a chest X-ray.

I wouldn't worry about 'em on that front...however, if you stake your life on a TFO, it may be hazardous when the front FO tube shakes loose at a bad moment...

ETA--from Trijicon's own website:

According to documentation by health physicists in statements on file at the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), it would take the simultaneous rupture of 10,000 of these small glass capsules in a small room 10 foot by 10 foot to potentially constitute a radiation health hazard. For this reason, customers need not be concerned about the potential risk of the night sight system. Furthermore, our front sight is 0.018 curies and the two rear sight dots are 0.018 curies each. A complete sighting system is 0.054 curies. This is less than many tritium watches, which have up to 0.200 curies or roughly four times as much radioactivity. In addition, the weapon is not as close to the body, and in less constant use than a watch.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Most watches like mt Tag Heuer have the same rafioactive material that makes the hands etc. Glow in the dark.
They are so low in radioactivity, as long as you don't eat it or put it in your eye, you should be fine,
There are lots of radioactive objects around our everyday life. They are safer than a lot of other objects around us. Just read the insert on some prescription medications, some of the side effects are scary as hell.
Permanent impotence from taking a sleeping pill,,,thats crazy for the FDA to even allow it on the market!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts