Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's where we are at with a Form 4. My friendly local Class 3 dealer called up the unfriendly BATFE and the actually really friendly lady who answered said to him that it is difficult to keep ones head when everything else is loosing theirs and ADDITIONAL delays MAY be incured because everyone in the BATFE (so it would seem) may be getting FIRED because of the Mexican Gun Runner thing. Thought I would share. Thank you. HB of CJ (old coot) :) :) :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's where we are at with a Form 4. My friendly local Class 3 dealer called up the unfriendly BATFE and the actually really friendly lady who answered said to him that it is difficult to keep ones head when everything else is loosing theirs and ADDITIONAL delays MAY be incurred because everyone in the BATFE (so it would seem) may be getting FIRED because of the Mexican Gun Runner thing. Thought I would share. Thank you. HB of CJ (old coot) :) :) :)

Six months is about right. The delay is not caused by NFA Branch but by delays caused by the FBI being slow to return background checks.

As for the unfriendly BATFE, I have never had a problem with NFA Branch in dealing with them for over 30 years. My transfers have been as an individual and as a C3 dealer. NFA Branch has always been courteous and has on more than once occasion gone out of their way to assist in a transfer.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
My SMG form 4 took almost 6 months to transfer.

With that said, transfer times do vary. I have had paperwork go round trip in under 5 weeks too.

If you're transferring on a form 3 to your local SOT, the time may not be as bad. If you're SOT is buying on a form 4 on an out of state weapon, it will transfer to them, and then transfer to you on a form 4 (2 transfers).

The NFA branch recently changed the way the examiners are handling the transfers too.

They used to be assigned by alphabetical order of the last name. Now they are assigned to handle all the transfers in (particular) states.

I do not know if this is a good thing or not.

I doubt it, but I do not have anything pending at this time either so I dont' know.

And most of my (phone) experiences with the NFA branch have been productive and courteous.

·
Registered
408 Posts
for what it's worth, the one that I just took possession of a week ago, it took 4 months to get mine start to finish.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I mailed a form 4 on 5-9-11 and was approved on 9-23-11 thats about 4 nd a half months.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I was in my local FFL today and he had a stamp come in while i was there. It had been submitted in January, so that is close to 10 months. (form 4, suppressor)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
How can a state not allow a federal stamp weapon? We can't get them in IL.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
State law supersedes federal law.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just got off the phone with BATFE checking status of suppressor. A very friendly women answered and informed me that current wait is 5 months from them processing the initial application till stamp is approved.

She did say they are significantly under staffed for the volume of applications coming in and that background checks are taking much longer as they are not a priority.

Ridiculous wait time, but I must say when I call there has never been a wait and the person is always friendly and answered my questions.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Ugh, I just sent one off for a lightning link, I was hoping for 3 mos like the last several but my class 3 guy said its been closer to 4 also. So 4-5 is probably right with 6 a definite possibility

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
According to NFATracker, my examiner should be catching up to my "pending" date in about a week. Add another week to 2 weeks for delivery and you're talking 4-1/2 months door to door, best case scenario. I sent the forms mid-June, went pending early July.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hell, my friendly neighborhood class 3 dealer is still waiting on Dealer to Dealer transfers from late July/early September.

I have a suppressor that has been in since the first of june and its still not back yet... I would bet we will see 7-8 months waits until the ATF & FBI catches up on the backlogs....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Finally approved.... but still waiting

Pending Sept 21st.....
Approved Feb 21st....

But still waiting for the Class III dealer to receive the stamp, ATF said up to 30days for stamp to arrive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My first .45 can took 2.5 months from purchase to when I could pick it up, but that was last year mid-july. I just bought a 9mm can last week so lets see how long it will take.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts