Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted a sweet, tactical semi-auto shotgun for defense around the home and campsite, but was put off by the high prices for many years. Not long ago, I read about the Beretta 1301 Tactical and noticed that, along with many favorable reviews, the price was a lot easier to swallow than, say the Benelli M4.
Fast forward to yesterday, and I see a 1301 Tactical on Wikiarms for $640 and it was in stock! All I need (want) is the Nordic Components mag extension and barrel clamp, and I'm good to go. But then I search around and the Nordic kit doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere. Also, $640 for the Beretta? What's happening to the tac shotgun market?

After a bit of digging around and reading plenty of recent home defense articles and LEO-specific forums, it seems that AR pattern rifles are taking over almost everything shotguns used to do, with the exception of beanbag and other less-than-lethal rounds. And it kind of makes sense. With an AR, you get easier recoil, generally lighter firearms, and much higher magazine capacity and reload speed, all at a price that's relatively affordable.

All that said, I still dig shotguns, and I don't see them as tactical dinosaurs...yet. Plus, you never know what future gun laws could bring (i.e. "assault weapons bans", etc.) and that could make shotguns a viable option again. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I like to plan for multiple contingencies.

What you y'all think? Would you buy a tactical shotgun now if the price was right, or are they past their prime?

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
^ I think this is a great discussion! :)

I don't think The Gauge is beyond its prime.

I do think, however - as you do - that the advantages of increased ammo capacity (in free states), better controllability/decreased recoil, and generally a more favorable set of manipulations (be it reloading from a box mag or the greater overlap with handguns in terms of stoppage reduction, or even just the simple idea that the carbine is a point-and-shoot weapon [OK, so mechanical offset does need to be kept in mind, here, for surgical shots, but still...], without the need to consider distance-to-target and shot patterning) all have shifted the favor towards the modern sporting carbine: i.e. the AR15.

That said, The Gauge remains an incredibly devastating lethal weapon at close range, and it is incredibly versatile, provided that the end-user be aware of the finer points of ammunition selection (breaching, less-lethal, slug-select, etc.).

I think that because of these factors, the "tactical" shotgun will continue to be around in some form or another - and that it goes double when we consider what you so astutely pointed out: the winds of favor are ever-changing in modern politics, and who knows when more restrictions may be placed on "assault weapons" :rolleyes:. Meanwhile, the shotgun, particularly when set up as a "sporting" instrument, can well skate under-the-radar. After all, we had then Vice-President Biden advocating for it!

What a wonderful, thought-provoking post, LivingUpNorth. Thank you for starting this thread, and doing so in such a wonderfully constructed manner. :)

------

BTW, I love my Boom Stick.

(Huh....maybe that's Biden in a different life?)

I've taken a few classes with it - I really want to do more, but as-always, time and money conspire otherwise. :( Since I give the carbine and handgun a much more prominent role in my defensive strategies, I likewise devote my limited resources towards getting myself more proficient with them...so the shotgun has fallen to the wayside.

That said, my 870 is still in the back of the closet (the Saiga 12 is not, but I'll pull her out for the Zombie Apocalypse, and that's for damned sure! :D) because I do see it fulfilling a very specific role in our HD plans.

For me, it's not going to be the first gun I go to for HD...but I know that it can definitely lay down some hurt, if the calculus plays out and I do have to bring it into the fight.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn’t have to be a semi-auto...
True that. I too, have a Supernova, but it is the standard field model to which I added a Carlson’s 18-1/2” barrel and +2 mag extension. It handles and shoots great... I just wanted to add a semi-auto to the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,767 Posts
I approve. I think I would prefer your setup over the pistol-grip...

I was lucky enough to snag a Nordic barrel clamp...

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
P1080940.JPG
I thought about shotguns for awhile, almost went to Weatherby just for the reputation of their legendary centerfire rifles, then found Benelli. A good shotgun does not have to be tacticool, it just has to work when called upon.
This is my shotgun. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Like a fine 1911, it just works all day long.

·
Premium Member
17,767 Posts
I do have a semi-auto, but it is unloaded when I put it away, whereas the Benelli is always loaded.

Sarsilmaz Verona. A real nice shooter for sporting clays, but obviously not a "tactical" barrel length.
IMG_4844_sm.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
So... I always wanted a M4. I figured I might as well cross it off the list. Just so you know, those prices are not dropping...

So I get it. Home defense. Can kill anything in North America. Plus, you know... Zombie apocalypse... Duh. It's sweet. All decked out... Except....

I don't want to shoot it in the house. It's brutal. It's not a carbine. It's long and heavy. I don't breech doors, and I don't have outside property to protect. I live in the city. And while it's simple, it's definitely a different gun to run well... To run tactical. I'm no John Wick.

I don't think the tac SG is dead. I just found out I don't have as many uses as I thought. And I'm not grabbing my AR in the house either... And I don't have property to protect. I got a MPX for that. That I feel good about. I like it a lot for its close quarters abilities.

I might sell it... But I'll never replace it. And I just started watching the Walking Dead. So I'm really thinking I should hold onto it... Because in the immortal words of Cuda66... There is no better proven fight stopper than a 12g.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
If I have an intruder, I'll use my bedside. 45 to get to my shotgun. Then I'll use the shotgun to fight until I can get to my AR. Then I'll start the coffee and make toast and fight my way to my second AR which should get me back to the kitchen in time to butter my toast while its still warm... I don't like cold toast, but it's an emergency so whaddaya gonna do, right...?
Pour coffee (ceramic mug, I'm not an animal), finish gunfight, sit on the bumper of a firetruck wrapped in a space-blanket and eat toast... I'll share w the first (well... maybe second responders). Good damn thing I've got a big toaster.

My shotgun was instrumental in seeing that very realistic scenario through... I'll never relenquish my tac-gauge.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
The shotgun is still king of the one shot stop.

An ounce of #3 buckshot will put down most things that you don't want in your house.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I don't want to shoot it in the house. It's brutal. It's not a carbine. It's long and heavy. I don't breech doors, and I don't have outside property to protect. I live in the city. And while it's simple, it's definitely a different gun to run well... To run tactical. I'm no John Wick.
A good class or two can help put a lot of those concerns to rest. :) There are proven manipulations for close-quarters. The mass is there, undeniably, but a lot of the length concerns - as well as recoil management - can be negated.

But you're absolutely right that it's brutal to shoot indoors. There's a heck of a lot of concussion and blast.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Then I'll start the coffee and make toast and fight my way to my second AR which should get me back to the kitchen in time to butter my toast while its still warm... I don't like cold toast, but it's an emergency so whaddaya gonna do, right...?

That's the classic, but in all honesty, I actually like this one better:

Yeah TOAST!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Had a dude try to beat down the door one night about 0100 and opened the door pointing a pistol at him. He said his truck had broken down. I asked where it was and he couldn't tell me where it was. I walked him to the main road and sent him on his way.

About 30 minutes later he is trying to kick in the door and I greeted him with my shotgun. I told him to sit in the chair and not to even wiggle a little bit.

He changed his story and said someone is chasing him. And yes, just like in a lot of small rural areas we have meth heads and he's one of them. Anyway, had to call our one cop we have in our town to take him away, but not arrest him. He took him to the waffle shop and dropped him off.

I' m glad I didn't have to shoot him, but I was tired of jacking with him but he became very cooperative when he looked down that big hole!

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
A good class or two can help put a lot of those concerns to rest. :) There are proven manipulations for close-quarters. The mass is there, undeniably, but a lot of the length concerns - as well as recoil management - can be negated.

But you're absolutely right that it's brutal to shoot indoors. There's a heck of a lot of concussion and blast.
I have the collapsible stock and middle is perfect. Collapsed is pretty handy. It's not that you can't use it, or people don't... I just have other options. If I ever send a round in my house, even 9mm, it's going to be loud and unpleasant. But if that day ever comes, that will be the least of my concerns. Big picture, I get it. What I am good with is holding up in the bedroom... In that case, the wife and I, I'm more that OK with 9 rnd of 12g. Plus, low recoil shells help a lot.

I'm looking at trying some 3 gun this year. I just want the training/experience. I'm also looking for classes too. Right now, just 101 fundamentals would do me good. I had to play with it this morning before work... It is really sweet.

·
Premium Member
15,626 Posts
Had a dude try to beat down the door one night about 0100 and opened the door pointing a pistol at him. He said his truck had broken down. I asked where it was and he couldn't tell me where it was. I walked him to the main road and sent him on his way.

About 30 minutes later he is trying to kick in the door and I greeted him with my shotgun. I told him to sit in the chair and not to even wiggle a little bit.

He changed his story and said someone is chasing him. And yes, just like in a lot of small rural areas we have meth heads and he's one of them. Anyway, had to call our one cop we have in our town to take him away, but not arrest him. He took him to the waffle shop and dropped him off.

I' m glad I didn't have to shoot him, but I was tired of jacking with him but he became very cooperative when he looked down that big hole!
And that's how I see it too... Rural area, on your own for 15 minutes... Ya, play time is over. Like usual, choices are a good thing.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts