Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. I'm new to AR15's and instead of purchasing my first one I would really like to build it. I have found a wealth of knowledge on here and other sites. Problem is I live in NY where the AWB is still applicable. That being said any AR that I build will obviously have the capability to accept a high capacity mag and would have a pistol grip. Therefore it can't have a flash suppressor (or threaded barrel to accept one), bayonet lug, or collapsible/foldaway stock. The bayonet lug and collapsible stock I can deal with, but what are others doing about the barrel? It can't even be threaded.

Any assistance from someone in NY would be great!

·
Registered
966 Posts
That being said any AR that I build will obviously have the capability to accept a high capacity mag and would have a pistol grip.
If you care, the law reads "ability to accept a detachable magazine..." but it's a moot point.

Anyway, you can use a threaded barrel if you have a muzzle brake permanently attached. Permanent means blind pinned and welded or welded in 4 places around the circumference or welded around the whole circumference. I've heard people say that high temp solder is also acceptable but I don't know of a ruling on that.

There are plenty of muzzle brakes out there that are classified as non-flash hiding devices.

You can also get a crowned muzzle and have nothing on the barrel.

Also, check out NY Firearms - Home | New York Firearm & Gun Ownership, Laws, Politics, Weapons, Discussion Forums Lots of info about the laws on there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you care, the law reads "ability to accept a detachable magazine..." but it's a moot point.

Anyway, you can use a threaded barrel if you have a muzzle brake permanently attached. Permanent means blind pinned and welded or welded in 4 places around the circumference or welded around the whole circumference. I've heard people say that high temp solder is also acceptable but I don't know of a ruling on that.

There are plenty of muzzle brakes out there that are classified as non-flash hiding devices.

Also, check out NY Firearms - Home | New York Firearm & Gun Ownership, Laws, Politics, Weapons, Discussion Forums Lots of info about the laws on there.
I just realized I had hi-cap when I meant to say detachable. Thanks for the clarification. Anyone from NY have a muzzle break that's classified as non-flash hiding? How have you handled attaching it permanently? The dealer near me made it seem as though I couldn't have one at all (i.e. crowned barrel right?) Do any of the major companies offer these barrels with with their kits?

Thanks!

·
Registered
966 Posts
I just ordered one and they are pinning it before shipping. I ordered from CMMG Inc - m4 and ar15 uppers and m4 carbine and have a Troy Medieval brake being pinned onto it. Bushmaster also offers barrels with no lug and an Izzy brake pinned in place.

Most other shops will do it for you if you email/call and talk to them about it.

What length and profile barrel are you looking for?

edit: edited link

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still learning and figuring things out, so thanks for your patience.

I think what I'm looking for is a 16" mid-length upper. Haven't decided on any particular brand yet, but have heard good things about the CMMG. Was looking at their CMMG 16” Mid-Length Upper (about half way down).

·
Registered
966 Posts
Yeah if you call CMMG they can do a welded brake and put on a front sight without a lug for you. It'll cost a little more but it's so much easier to get what you want all assembled and not have to find a welder to do it for you.

Their customer service was great when I was asking questions and then ordering. Don't know about the barrel yet, I'm still waiting for it. Should be here in another week or a little more.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's great to know. The CMMG Uppers can get expensive, but it looks like the majority of the cost is in the upper vs. the lower. Is the bolt/carrier group upgrade worth it? Besides that I would go basic for now with just the tappered handguard and a F marked front with a foldable rear. Then upgrade the handguard and add optics later.

I'll be at a gun show in VA this weekend. See if I can find a lower to start with, then go from there. Basically all stripped lowers are the same correct?

·
Registered
966 Posts
That's great to know. The CMMG Uppers can get expensive, but it looks like the majority of the cost is in the upper vs. the lower. Is the bolt/carrier group upgrade worth it? Besides that I would go basic for now with just the tappered handguard and a F marked front with a foldable rear. Then upgrade the handguard and add optics later.

I'll be at a gun show in VA this weekend. See if I can find a lower to start with, then go from there. Basically all stripped lowers are the same correct?

You won't be able to buy a lower in VA if you are a NY resident. It's the part of the gun that is considered a "gun" by the ATF since it's got the serial # on it.

Are you near Rochester? I know where there is a stripped lower in stock at a shop that's being held for me but I don't want.

All lowers are not the same if you ask me but others will argue that. IMO any forged upper would be fine for pretty much anyone but there are some differences like whether the threads are rolled or cut and if the mag well is broached or wire EDM cut. I wouldn't worry about it though, just get one that's a reputable brand and you can't go wrong.

The F marked sight base will have a bayonet lug. You'll have to get the one without the mark but it's basically the same thing other than the lug. CMMG has it on their site I think.

A regular mil-spec bolt will work fine. I bought an LMT for the gun I'm building now. I went with a Yongue manufacturing chrome bolt/carrier in my varmint rifle. The chrome ones are a lot easier to clean but function the same. There are some enhanced bolt carriers out there too. Never really looked into them but I think their marketing pitch is that they have an extra vent hole for the gas to escape. If I remember right it's to allow the bolt to lock up for a little bit longer to increase accuracy. Maybe someone who knows more can expand on that or correct me if i'm wrong.

edit: spelling

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

High temp solder requires that the weld points be heated past tempering stats.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You won't be able to buy a lower in VA if you are a NY resident. It's the part of the gun that is considered a "gun" by the ATF since it's got the serial # on it.
I thought that only applied to handguns, not long guns. I'll have to research that one. I thought if it was from an FFL it would be OK because they would still need to do a background check. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I bought my AR when I lived in NYS (Poughkeepsie area) and it has no flash hider at all. The Bushmaster Varminter has the floating handguard with 24" fluted barrel with nothing added to the end of the barrel.

I have since moved to Utah but as I recall the only limitation I had was that I could not buy a new high capacity magazine but it was legal to have a pre-ban high capacity mag. I don't know what's changed since I left (02/2004) but suspect the laws to be about the same except that the national AWB went away.

Thing is, I had my AR in NYS for a couple years but there was no place besides an expensive club that I could go to shoot it so I didn't get to put anything downrange until I moved.

Brian

·
Registered
966 Posts
I thought that only applied to handguns, not long guns. I'll have to research that one. I thought if it was from an FFL it would be OK because they would still need to do a background check. Can anyone confirm?
maybe you're right.

ATF Online - Firearms FAQs

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts