Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to AR15's, I just purchased a complete dpms lower for the OBAMAnation election. I would like to get a upper (complete or build) in 5.56 (or tinkering with 6.8 spc,own 2ak's) what uppers would you suggest, looking for the best balance between best deal and best quality?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Stag Arms builds a quality upper for a good price, so that is certainly an option. Rock River Arms (RRA) stuff is excellent and fills up a good portion of my BRD habits.

You really need to figure out what it is you want in your rifle. There are a lot of trade-offs between the 5.56/223 and the 6.8, especially when it comes to the cost of ammo and ease of finding it. I personally wouldn't recommend the 6.8, but that is my personal preference.

As for your upper...what do you want to do with it? Punch holes in paper/targets? Hunting? What range do you want to shoot your rifle the most? Do you want optics or just iron sights? Etc. All of these are important questions for you to ask yourself before deciding on what best suits your needs. You can go for something along the M4/carbine route with a 16" barrel, fairly lightweight, with a flat-top or an A2 upper. You can also go for a service rifle setup with a 20" barrel, rifle-length gas system, again in flat-top or A2. Finally, you can go all-out target and get a heavy bull-barrel setup with a barrel up to 24" in length. It all just depends on what your intended purpose for the rifle will end up being.

You should also look at the following companies for some good deals on quality upper halves for good prices:

Welcome to Model 1 Sales' Online Order Center

Upper Receiver Groups AR 15 (Bravo Co. has their own line of uppers, which are of very good quality for a good price)

Rock River Arms (RB Precision is a great place to get RRA uppers)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
get a stag another member posted a link for Pete in NH who has a STAG rifle kit for $599 shipped if you don't need the stock or LPK then you can always just order the 2H upper for like $479 shipped./

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys for your replies, but I did just what said I would not do. I purchased a few items: 5.56 CMMG 14.7" 1/7 twist upper; Adams arms piston system; midwest flip up sights (front and rear); Eotech 512.a65; 4 magpul pmag. This damn election needs to end it just keeps costing me more and more.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Thanks Guys for your replies, but I did just what said I would not do. I purchased a few items: 5.56 CMMG 14.7" 1/7 twist upper; Adams arms piston system; midwest flip up sights (front and rear); Eotech 512.a65; 4 magpul pmag. This damn election needs to end it just keeps costing me more and more.
+1 nothing like a good election to raise the price of everything firearm related.

on the upside I convinced an Obama loving Democrat Co-worker of mine to at least reconsider his vote today by pointing out that regardless of whether or not you Like McCain that with a Democrat controlled house and senate throw in a democratic president then we no longer have a democracy we have a dictator ship that can amend the constitution anyway they want including the part about serving more than 10 years in office

since they only have to ratify it with majority vote of the house and senate its not far fetched.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
So for my different AR's, I should go with CMMG or LMT uppers?

CMMG Lower
CMMG Upper

Spike Lower
LMT Upper

Kaiser or Mega Lower
CMMG Upper

???????????

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
all are good choices choose which ever fits your budget

My next build is going to be a sundevil lower, hand picked LPK and an upper SPC just to mix things up a bit

And if I have enough cash left over I'm planning on finding an ACOG for my shorty
So for my different AR's, I should go with CMMG or LMT uppers?

CMMG Lower
CMMG Upper

Spike Lower
LMT Upper

Kaiser or Mega Lower
CMMG Upper

???????????

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
in light of me finding out that Noveske comment was sarcasm should I swap out one of those CMMG uppers for a noveske or a delton? just try and switch it up, use a few dfferent uppers and find out which ones i really like?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
After a bit of research I'm quite impressed with CMMG. Their standard packages are middle of the road (in price and quality) like RRA and Stag. There are a lot of options available that will put them up with Colt and LMT while probably still managing to stay a little cheaper (even with the options CMMG likely won't be quite as good as the top tiers, but I don't think it'll be enough of a difference for you to notice). This is all based upon my recent research, so if I'm completely off, someone please correct me as I'm very new to ARs.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
After a bit of research I'm quite impressed with CMMG. Their standard packages are middle of the road (in price and quality) like RRA and Stag. There are a lot of options available that will put them up with Colt and LMT while probably still managing to stay a little cheaper (even with the options CMMG likely won't be quite as good as the top tiers, but I don't think it'll be enough of a difference for you to notice). This is all based upon my recent research, so if I'm completely off, someone please correct me as I'm very new to ARs.
ID say that most of us put to much stock in what other novice AR owners have to say. but then again if we only listened to the Rogers and Vickers crowd there would not really any other options as the others would go out of business.

really this debate has gone on and on and on

and the only thing that really matters is that you Like what you get.

forget about the zombies most of us will not be equipped to fight them off. forget about SHTF you will likely fire less than 100 rounds and any brand out there should be able to fire 100 rounds without a problem.

I own a colt and LMT and my Go To guns are my middle of the road STAGS but for taking apart changing up and putting back togther I have more fun with my LMT

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
do your reachearch on the 6.5 grendel. it preforms MUCH better at long range. a 6.8 SPC will drop WAY more then the 6.5 grendel AND wolf makes brass cased ammo with 2 different types of bullets. one a soft point and the other i cant remember.

but find some of the ballistic graphs and you will see what im talking about.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
oh and
+13 on CMMG i have a CMMG 18" SPR and am currently building my 10.3" CMMG SBR
very good stuff!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts