Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a few posts on here and other places, that some people get a good deal on lets say some ar15 lowers.. and then purchase the uppers. and assemble it themselves and it actually ends up being a good gun to go shoot at the range?

anyone have any experience with this? I wanna purchase a ar15... but i dont really wanna drop 1 thousand

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i built my ar-15 and i am working on my short barreled one right now.

just buy the lower and build that up as funds are available and then after that save up and buy a compleated upper. it saves you some money and lets you spread the cost over time. it also lets you learn about the weapon and how exactly it works. So then in the future if something breaks you can fix it instead of paying a gunsmith to do some simple job

i would say it is very easy to do,

·
Registered
467 Posts
I read a few posts on here and other places, that some people get a good deal on lets say some ar15 lowers.. and then purchase the uppers. and assemble it themselves and it actually ends up being a good gun to go shoot at the range?

anyone have any experience with this? I wanna purchase a ar15... but i dont really wanna drop 1 thousand
I've built more than a few. Get yourself a good lower and then order a kit from Del-ton.com and plink away

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I've built 4 ARs this way, you do get a good price on them and the guns shoot just fine.
+1 on the Del-ton, Model1Sales also has some nice kits. AIM surplus has a real good price on Superior stripped lowers.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a gun show this weekend in michigan. Im sure i can find a good LOWER thats stripped.. and then buy a kit online?

Or should i be looking for a lower that is not striped?

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
There is a gun show this weekend in michigan. Im sure i can find a good LOWER thats stripped.. and then buy a kit online?

Or should i be looking for a lower that is not striped?

Thats completely up to you. The stripped lowers are not hard to assemble, and you can decide which lower parts kit fits your needs best. If you would rather not deal with it, a complete lower can be found for a good price.

Del-Ton is a great company. You should also take a look at CMMG and Stag!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
You'll pay more for an assembled lower. If you buy the kit it will come with the lower parts and a buttstock assembly. If you buy an assembled lower more than likely it will com with the lower parts including the grip, no buttstock, buffer, and spring. You will then have to order a complete upper (bolt assembly and charging handle) + the buttstock, buffer and spring. Makes it more completated for a newbie.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So from what im getting, i should go buy a lower thats stripped... and then get a LPK or lower parts kit.

Are there any lowers that you recomend?? or are they all mainly the same minus diff additions

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Check out this link to a current thread in the AR15 section:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ar-talk/86036-build-not-build.html

There are links posted that will show you how to assemble a lower. It's not tough at all. And yeah, for the most part, any lower will work. It's really just finding a logo that you like, lol. Superior, DPMS, Stag, etc, they're all fine. ;)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
So from what im getting, i should go buy a lower thats stripped... and then get a LPK or lower parts kit.

Are there any lowers that you recomend?? or are they all mainly the same minus diff additions
You can usually save money is you buy a stripped lower and a LPK and them assemble it yourself. In terms of recommendations: Rock River Arms (RRA), POF, LMT, Stag Arms, CMMG, DPMS...they are all about the same for the most part. I have used RRA and POF for my last four builds with great satisfaction. They run a little more than some other lowers, but I have found their fit/finish to be excellent (not to say that any of the other brands are any less "good"...just my experiences). You should be able to get a good stripped lower for around $115-120 and a LPK for around $50-60, an a standard A2 stock assembly (complete) will run another $60 (if that is the direction you want to go...other stocks will obviously run more $$$). So you can be in and done for building your own complete lower for less than $250 depending on what stock you get. A fully assembled lower with pistol grip and A2 stock will run you around $350 or so.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So i take it, the a2 stock doesnt come with any LPKs do you have any pics of any a2 stocks?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah ok... thanks alot guys! i went from buying a xd40sc because of this board.

now im going to goto the gun show this week and buy a lower stripped.

Now since i have my CCW. when i get my lowers do i need to do anything with that such as register it?

Im not sure how the LAW works when it comes to ar15's.

lower stripped -> lpk -> stock -> fully assembled upper and im ready to go shoot!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Ah ok... thanks alot guys! i went from buying a xd40sc because of this board.

now im going to goto the gun show this week and buy a lower stripped.

Now since i have my CCW. when i get my lowers do i need to do anything with that such as register it?

Im not sure how the LAW works when it comes to ar15's.

lower stripped -> lpk -> stock -> fully assembled upper and im ready to go shoot!
well it all depends on the state. i live in idaho and we dont register guns here but i cant speak of the laws where you live. odds are an ar-15 is treated the same as all other rifles unless your state has a assault weapons ban and if that is the case then you have to make a ban compliant ar-15

second you can buy just the striped lower and then buy a rifle kit which has everything else. like the upper and LPK and stock and grip, which is usually cheaper but it doesnt leave you as many choices as buying the parts individually but if you like the options in the kit go for it.

or you can buy the lower and then the LPK and then the stock and grip and then all you need is the upper which may or may not come with a bolt and charging handle

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
FWIW...I just got an e-mail from Midway USA offering an awesome deal on a DPMS LPK for $47.99 good through Oct. 31. These are quality parts from a reputable mfg. just in case you can't find a LPK at your local gunshow.

MidwayUSA - DPMS Lower Receiver Parts Kit AR-15

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The lower parts kit comes with the grip.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
based on your guys opinion, do you think i will find a better LPK then that? Or is it safe to say thats a good price that i wont be able to beat at the gun show.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
based on your guys opinion, do you think i will find a better LPK then that? Or is it safe to say thats a good price that i wont be able to beat at the gun show.
You may not be able to beat that price, but remember...you have to pay for S&H and you have to wait on it. S&H from Midway will likely be somewhere between $7-9 if that is all you order, plus a week waiting on it. If the gun show you were talking about is this coming weekend (day after tomorrow), and if you can find a good LPK at the show for <$60, I'd probably buy one there. The Midway sale price is good through 10/31/08.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts