Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm looking at building my first AR and just have a quick question for you. I'm considering either the UTE2 upper or the EOP upper from RRA. I'm leaning towards the EOP upper, but was wondering if there's any downside to this. In looking at the UTE2 upper, it appears as though the iron sights would look right through any accessories on the rail. Is this right? You can use iron sights with the EOP upper, right? Since this is my first AR build, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Stick with the standard A4 upper ;)

Life will be much easier.

With the UTE2 you are stuck with a permanent A2 rear sight.
With the EOP, you can not use iron sights.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stick with the standard A4 upper ;)

Life will be much easier.

With the UTE2 you are stuck with a permanent A2 rear sight.
With the EOP, you can not use iron sights.
Thanks for the info. I don't foresee wanting to remove the iron sights, so why not the UTE2? Am I right in the assessment of looking through the scope?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Thanks for the info. I don't foresee wanting to remove the iron sights, so why not the UTE2? Am I right in the assessment of looking through the scope?
yes you are correct

Even though you do not forsee wanting to change it's always nice to have the option to

When I got my first AR I didn't forsee wanting to go to a flat top or having an optic either but my thought changed

we

·
Banned
6,667 Posts

It would be fine (UTE2) if you wanted to mount an Aimpoint (or such) and never want to try anything else. Such as a magnified optic.

I wouldn't limit myself by buying the UTE2.

There is no problem looking thru the rear sight into a red dot type optic. That is what is called co-witnessing. Some people run folding rear sights so they don't have to look thru them all the time, where others like the fixed style that is at the ready at all time.

If you bought the UTE2 and then decided you didn't like looking thru the rear sight all the time, or wanted go to a magnified optic like a 3-9x scope or an ACOG, you're kinda stuck.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I have to agree. Why limit yourself? Your likes may change down the road. Stick with the standard A4 upper.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Get the standard Flattop upper and put whatever flip-up or other iron sights on it that best suit your needs. If those needs are for co-witnessing with an EoTech or Aimpoint...fine. If you want to go with a higher powered scope or other optics like an ACOG, fold the sights down, take them off the rifle, whatever. At least you have the flexibility to do what you like with the rifle when your needs or interests change.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the info. This is exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I'll be going with the A4.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
In my opinion the UTE upper is made for hard users that want to mount an Aimpoint or Eotech for close range use, with the mounting ease of the flat top and have a rear sight that is as strong as the A2. It gives you the bullet proof rear sight of the A2 with the better optics mounting platform of the flat top. and you don't need to use a Z mount, with it's single screw attachment, for your optics. It's name Universal Tactical Entry kind of leads me to believe that.

If you aren't kicking in doors for a living, and/or if you think you might want more options than a non-magnified red dot, then the flat top gives you much more options. You can configure it very much like the UTE by simply putting a fixed removable rear sight on it, you can put flip up sights on it, you can remove the rear sight and put a magnified sight on it, You can put a carry handle on it and have a similar layout to an A2.

I can't say the UTE is a wrong choice, it is an interesting comprimise, but you better be sure you only want to use non-magnified optics that co-witness with the iron sights.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking last night, and had another question. What's the point of the EOP upper if you can't have iron sights? I was thinking the iron sights would look through the opening below the rail and you could mount a scope above it. Is this wrong?

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
As the name states EOP (elevated optical platform)
I was meant so you don't have to use a riser with a set of rings to get you scope high enought to clear. Again, if you ever decide to go a different route, you're stuck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts