Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I recently broke down and bought a bushy M4 style AR. I would like to get a sling for it but there are too many styles and I am having a hard time of finding a good summary of the advantages and disadvantages of each type. If someone out there knows of a good link please post it, or if there is someone that knows about the various common slings can you tell me a little about each?

Thanks!

·
Registered
469 Posts
excellent post! i jus got alotta info from the guys here about a bag

now its time for info on a sling

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Single point slings, great for weapon retention and simple, not goo if you have to climb soemthing or duck down, usually requires a special mount to attach it to the firearm.

Dual point, best all around sling in my book. allows for mutiple carry and ready positions, can be used as a hasty sling to aid in shooting. There are both tactical and traditional versions and both require special ways to mount the sling.

Three point, I think (personal prefernce), that it is too much webbing and a pain in the ass to put on when on the move. IE jumping out of a humvee or bed.

On my shorter firearms I have atleast a single point on a many a dual point avilability. On the longer guns, dual point only.

Gear sector slings ride on more than 9 of my firearms. Jason is rare breed these days as far as customer service goes. PLENTY of threads about "gearsector" or "jason trusty" to read on the web to help you decide.

Here is a quick photo of my 7.5 AR pistol I posted for a guy on ARFcom this morning. Single point, HK clip, Gearsector.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You may want to check out the specter gear MOUT it is good construction decent price It is a single point mount. It was my choice.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Thanks thump, but it is actually classified a pistol. I added another photo that shows the 18" 870 and 20" M590A1 with a dual point sling using a side mounted front sling point and a a fixed stock adapter, then if you look where the stock and the receiver meet, you can see the HK style loop for the HK clip when being used a single point as shown on the 870 up top. The Benelli M4 did not need any special hardware to mount the sling, since it comes with a clockable front plate and a decent mounting point in the rear for a dual point setup. The 16" uses a rear receiver plate with a loop adapter for a single point setup. Still waiting on the front mounting point but he rear on the dual point will be a QD into the stock, but a loop thru one of the various mouting points will work as well.

EDIT TO ADD*******
When buying slings it is best determine final use, price, and way to mount then try to buy a little as possible that will work for mutiple firearms. You can see the HK clip being used on the AR pistol, the 870 and 590. The buckles allow one to quickly switch the dual point between mutiple firearms as well just having he leave the loops behind. A sling for a long gun is like a holster for a pistol.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
For me there really is only one option and that is a 3 point sling. I walk with a cane so having a hands free sling for movement is necessary.

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
That is the way I prefer my sling for the AR, where the weapon kants down your body at a 45 degree, so you can operate with your hands/side arm, etc. And if you need to do something require more dexterity you can slide it around to hang from your back.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The quick and skinny.

1pt - It goes under the left arm and around the neck. The gun hands from somewhere at the stock area and hangs straight in front of you and points to the ground. If you run the with the gun hanging it will smack your balls. It is easy to transition from left to right arm and you have a pretty much unlimited range of motion for the barrel to point. It is simple and effective. Used mostly as a retention device.

2pt - The classic. It connects to the front and the stock of the gun. Mostly used in American "around the right shoulder, gun pointing up" carry or Australian "around the left shoulder, gun pointing down" carry. You can also do some thing where you go from left shoulder to right hip but the gun is very un-accessible like that.

3pt - Much like the 1pt in that it goes under the left arm and around the neck. The difference is that the sling attaches to the stock and to the front of the gun. When you drop it it will point to your weak side towards the ground and will not slap your nuts. This is the most comfortable "hands free" method of carry. You cannot transition from left to right shoulder with this setup and your range barrel motion will be somewhat hindered.

This is what I was able to come up with. If I am wrong or if you can explain it better feel free to do so.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice all I really appreciate it!
With this new found knowledge I think i will have to go with the 3pt
I am really not a fan of a 6lb rifle slapping me on the nutz

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'm now looking for my sling and as most here I am looking for adaptabilty. I'l looking at getting a ambidextrous Left hand sling mount

Ambedextrias Metal Sling Adapter

Two sling adapters for front and back

BDS Tactical Single Point Sling Adapter
and a two hook sling

BDS Tactical Double Hook Sling

While it would be nice to be able to go three point as well I'm not sure how to get the three way option as well.

Any ideas?

Also I realize that after putting the new ambi ring on I will have to restake the castle nut. Is there any other option for a ambi ring attaching here that I'm not aware of that wouldn't require removal of original nut?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts