Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are some good links to learn about the AR?
I have zero experience with the AR, I have only fired one but want to either buy one or build one.
I know the basic features I want but know nothing about the different brands or such
any good beginners material would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is a question
the one AR I shot had the full fiberglass stock, and when firing it had a major spring twang. felt like I was shooting a springer pellet rifle
I did not care for that
is this common?
I want a collapsible stock would that be common with a collapsible stock?

What I am wondering is would it be good to pick up a starter rifle or start picking up components?
I have been looking at the panther arms that starts out at $699, is that a good starter riifle?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think if you are looking for a rifle in that price range you would be hard pressed to beat the Smith and Wesson MP-15 Sport.....If you are stuck on that price range that is....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well that price range would put an AR in my hands a little soon than the $1000 ranger or more

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm new to the AR scene and prior to this had literally ZERO experience with guns in general (just bought my first handgun less than a month ago).

I read a LOT of the stickied threads on both ar15.com and m4carbine.net this past week and while there is a ton of information, I've been able to pick up enough to feel confident with beginning my first build. I chose to build because it is the best way for me to learn the ins and outs of the rifle. It can also help cut some costs if you're able to find good deals here and there on certain parts.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Haha yea I def. understand! I am pretty sure you can get the M&P Sport for that price range....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just hope the one I shot had something wrong and was worse than others
I do not care for that, like I said it felt like I was shooting a springer pellet rifle

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wonder if someone makes a teflon coated spring. Or some sort of covering that would quiet the spring but wouldn't affect the operation

·
Registered
272 Posts
Haha yea I def. understand! I am pretty sure you can get the M&P Sport for that price range....
I just bought an M&P sport for 599. Had it at the range yesterday for the first time. Shot 250 flawless rounds. It's accurate and feels great. Stock iron sights are better than I expected. For the price it seems like a solid no frills rifle that I'm liking a lot so far. I've read several good reviews as well. No dust cover or FA was not a deal breaker for me. I had a DPMS Sportical that was very similar to the M&P Sport.
The buffer spring noise only bugs me if my ear muff is touching the stock.

·
Registered
780 Posts
This is where I began 6 months before I built my first. It may not be the exact "type" of rifle your trying to build but it has ALOT of useful information most on the first half dozen pages or so. I read all 72 or atleast thats what the thread page count was at when I read it... But like I said most all the info you need is right there in the begining pages.
Oh and less then 6 months after building my first I'm now completing my second build. :cool:
The biggest thing to me is deciding what your intentions are for the rifle. Being that I had never owned or really shot many rifles thru my life I really didn't realize how many different things one could be used for. Hunting, home defense/SHTF rifle and range shooting was basically all I ever knew. But there is also tactical style classes, precision rifle shooting, and other competitive/sport type shooting avaliable.
So I would say read as much as possible. Figure out your intentions for the rifle so your not wasting money swapping alot of parts. Then buy or build what you want based on your new knowledge and what your inteded use is going to be. Also there is nothing wrong with asking questions, even alot of questions. Just make sure you try to find the answers first yourself and be as descriptive as possible when asking your questions to get the best answers possible. Good luck on your purchase or build! Let us know what you decide or how it turns out. :)

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
do all or most ARs have that spring twang?
Yeah it's the buffer spring. I never noticed it until someone complained about it. It still doesn't bother me.
I only notice it on the fixed rifle stock and not really at all on my carbine (carbine vs rifle stock tube and buffer)

·
Registered
725 Posts
I got my first one used at a gun show, did a lot of taking apart and tinkering until I really understood what all was in there and how it worked. It helped it had all M16 internals, so I know the differences and how those work, too. Plus I'm an engineer anyway, so that stuff comes naturally. I plan to finish some 80% lowers and build them up. I don't hesitate whatsoever. There are plenty of places you can get parts kits, everything you need except the lower receiver, and all you have to do is put them together. You'll want a couple of tools, but there are instructions all over the place. Just realize, it's hard to do something so wrong that it causes a disaster that you can't fix. Just build it and see if something needs to be tweaked. You'll do fine.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I just hope the one I shot had something wrong and was worse than others
I do not care for that, like I said it felt like I was shooting a springer pellet rifle
I have a couple of ARs. One with the A2 style stock (sounds like that is what you are referring to) and the other with adjustable stock. My spring sound in the A2 stock is quite noticeable.....the other, don't hear it at all. It would seem some designs (or components at the least) make more spring noise than others.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I got my first one used at a gun show, did a lot of taking apart and tinkering until I really understood what all was in there and how it worked. It helped it had all M16 internals, so I know the differences and how those work, too.
Hmmm.....you bought a machine gun at the gun show? What country do you line in?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Arfcom is a great resource.
Arfcom isn't the most friendly forum on the web.
best was to search arfcom is to use google and add "site:ar15.com" to the search (without the quote marks). this will make google ONLY search arfcom. Actually, I do that for any forum search.
everyone has an opinion as to what is best. upfront, decide what the purpose of the rifle is going to be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts