Springfield XD Forum banner

5861 - 5880 of 5885 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Your LSGs should have some rifles with the BCM grips so that you can get hands-on.

The permutations will move your finger's reach to the trigger a little, but it's the usual, nothing unexpectedly so.

Overall, the BCM grips are rather "filling," and more suited to larger hands than they are to smaller. That said, it's subjective: my buddy who has shorter fingers (for a rather bigger guy) actually prefers the Mod3, which has an integral beavertail and thus pushes the hand slightly farther back...and is also slightly more girthy than either the Mod0 or Mod1. This, for a guy who gets grip reductions on his Glocks. ;)

The one thing that it (and other grips with a steeper angle, like the Magpul K, K2, and SL) will change noticeably is the muzzle angle, versus the traditional A2's angle. With modern technique - that we always keep our dominant hand on fire-control - the steeper angle typically confers to the shooter less wrist and forearm fatigue, but this compromise comes at a lower presentation of the muzzle line, which may take some older-hats with the AR platform a bit of getting used to. Additionally for some, this revised angle ironically makes it more fatiguing to hold and manipulate the gun single-handed. Unfortunately, even for experienced shooters, this change may not be fully appreciable until they've run through "up-drills" a few dozen times or until they get into some positional shooting.

The best thing? If you take training classes, it's almost a sure bet that of a line of 10 to 12 students that at least one will own a Mod0 or Mod3. Even if not, the same odds usually plays out for the steeper-angle Magpuls, which are also extremely popular. Getting hands-on live-fire via "up-drills" and/or positional shooting really is the best way to find out if you'll like one of these steeper-angle grips, if all you've really used are the more traditionally angled ones.

Subjectively, most folks find the texture on these grips to be pleasing both bare-skin as well as gloved: enough traction without being abrasive without gloves. Rarely do I see folks stipple their own. If you're not sure of the exact configuration, the Mod2 allows a bit of end-user customization.

Typically, the forward tang plays decently well with various enlarged trigger guards, but for some, you may need to do a bit of end-user modification in order to get that tang to fit properly.

My Magpul trigger guards didn't present any interference, but the way the trigger guard was angled in my Battle Arms Development billet lightweight lower required a bit of sanding/filing in order for the tang to clear the guard enough so that I can push the grip sufficiently into the receiver for a proper fit.

Rolling back to the aforementioned angle issue, subjectively, I find that the angle makes it harder for me to shoot and manipulate the gun single-handed - I need to input more muscle. But shooting freestyle and standing ready with it on-line, I love the steeper angle.

·
Registered
295 Posts
PSA Freedom kit on top, P-Tac gen1 lower + PSA gen2 upper AR10. Bushnell optics on both.

S&W 15-22 w/ vortex strikefire2, magpul furniture and cmc trigger (this thing used to work great with a slidefire)
$299 PSA Freedom kit w/ sig romeo5 (waiting on magpul sling and BUIS, then it's ready for truck gun duty)
PSA PA-15 from Sandy Hook scare (my first AR), holosun 403, magpul and ergo furniture)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Newest build.

Lower: PSA lower, PSA parts kit, Magpul trigger guard and Magpul Pistol grip, JMT Saber 3.5lb drop in trigger, PSA A2 Buffer Tube, Armaspec Stealth recoil spring, Luth AR MBA1 stock

Upper: Aero upper, Red X Arms 24" Diamond fluted 1:8 twist SS bull barrel, Strike Industries 15.5" Mlok handguard, EArms black nitride bolt carrier group, Raptor clone charging handle

Glass: Nikon Black FX1000 4x16x50mm with MOA reticle, First Focal Plane. Nikon Black cantilever mount

Not pictured: UTG Recon Flex Mlok Bipod

20180721_180704.jpg
20180721_180736.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
The rifle that started it all, S&W sporter2. I always said I would buy an ar15 but bought this one and cant stop now. Spikes upper and lower with a 16" 300blk out barrel. Psa 9mm lower with a new frontier armory upper, it's a fun little shooter. Then a live free armory 308 upper and lower with a faxon 18" 308 barrel

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
622 Posts
37003E26-C21A-494F-B5F8-7B804E46A2A4.jpeg
9780D39F-7F4E-4C1E-9743-DEC9832C4264.jpeg
New barrel for my spr. Seekins Precision stainless 18” 223 wylde 1:8 rifle legnth. Also swapped my Midwest Ind 12” keymod handguard for a 15”.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Finally put an AR pistol together. It should be a fun little shooter.
10.5" barrel 5.56/223, SBA3 pistol brace, Sig Sauer Romeo 5 red dot

2019-03-29_17-18-47_000.png

Reactions: XDM_John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ruger MPR. All stock except for sights and optic. Love the rifle, very happy with it. Also happy with the Holosun HS503C. Not pleased with the MBUS sights. I need to pick up a light, sling, and at a minimum a replacement rear flip up, if not a replacement front flip-up as well. The MBUS rear sight is really a POS. Also plan to eventually replace the charging handle with something with a more prominent release lever.

Oh, and ignore the snow. It's legit spring here now. Three weeks ago, not so much!

·
Registered
19,921 Posts
Ruger MPR. All stock except for sights and optic. Love the rifle, very happy with it. Also happy with the Holosun HS503C. Not pleased with the MBUS sights. I need to pick up a light, sling, and at a minimum a replacement rear flip up, if not a replacement front flip-up as well. The MBUS rear sight is really a POS. Also plan to eventually replace the charging handle with something with a more prominent release lever.

Oh, and ignore the snow. It's legit spring here now. Three weeks ago, not so much!

Did you get the proper ones or the cheap air soft versions?

I've been extremely happy with the Magpul Pros. They're not very cheap though. If you catch a sale, you might be able to get a set for around 140.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Did you get the proper ones or the cheap air soft versions?

I've been extremely happy with the Magpul Pros. They're not very cheap though. If you catch a sale, you might be able to get a set for around 140.
They're the real ones. The build quality is just weird, though. The feel cheap. But the big issue is that the rear aperture doesn't really have a positive detent, to the point that when you flip them up, the aperture comes forward slightly and has to be pushed back. Just doesn't feel like they're worth the money, nor the magpul name.

·
Registered
19,921 Posts
Spring for a set of Pros.

They're non locking (This isn't a bad thing as it's better to have them fold back down instead of break should they bump something) But postive clicking detent when fully up and fully down. The front post is thin and they're easy to adjust for elevation and windage. The rear has a flip down aperture as well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I might.

I actually just yesterday ordered a sling and light, and all the associated hardware, and also a new charging handle. Replacing the backup sights would be next on the list, maybe a couple months down the line.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I might.

I actually just yesterday ordered a sling and light, and all the associated hardware, and also a new charging handle. Replacing the backup sights would be next on the list, maybe a couple months down the line.
Agreed. The Pros are nice. I have the offset flip up pros. They don’t feel cheap at all.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Had her out for the first time since installing everything. Actually went to two different ranges-- one where I can shoot out to 250, and another where I can practice manipulations. Very pleased so far. Need to spend more time practicing manipulations and transitions...I'd like to take a carbine class eventually...

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
So after losing all my other ARs in various unfortunate events, I decided to build a new one! Unfortunately, this was the only picture I got before it fell into the stream you can see in the background. I never found it. It was a nice AR while I had it.

EC12107C-DEFF-49D5-ABA4-A7949B0FA52D.jpeg

Reactions: TSiWRX
5861 - 5880 of 5885 Posts