Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been thinking of getting a tactical rifle and I cant decide if I want an AR or an AK. Ive read some of the threads about each and have talked to some people that have either and it seems that most of the people that have one or the other think that theirs is the choice. Price is a factor and it seems that I can get an AK for less money and make it look like I want, and still have less in it. What are your opinions?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I prefer the look of AR, but I think its entirely a personal choice as they are both great weapons, I wouldnt hesitate to own an AK either... sorry if that doesnt help much lol

I guess the biggest arguments between the two are that the AR is more accurate, the AK is more powerful, and the AK is more reliable when dirty... those are the ones I always hear.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'd go with an AR of it were me. However, since this thread is posted in the AK section, I think you may have already made up your mind, lol

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Like mentioned above, get which ever one you feel fits your needs/desires better.

I have had both and sold the AK because I didn't shoot it as much...because it wasn't as fun to shoot, TO ME.

I'll prob get another AK one day but I'd rather buy ammo for my other guns at the moment.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Ive got an AR and have shot AKs. I tend to lean towards the AR more though. Would like to get an AK sometime though.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I vote AR since you said "tactical". Accuracy counts here.

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts
For me it was all about what I wanted to do with the rifle. I chose the AK (Saiga conversion) for price, reliability, and cheaper ammo. Mine is set up for the needs I could reasonably foresee--situations of urban unrest, SHTF, etc, and it will put rounds on a man-sized target as far out as I can see with the unaided eye. If I wanted to go further out and planned on using glass, I'd get a flat-top AR and set it up with a heavy barrel, bipod, etc. My AK runs 100% and is plenty accurate where MOA stands for Minute of Adversary. For precision, go AR and get a barrel with a twist rate set up for using heavier-grain bullets.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Used to build AR15 rifles and carbines. Done hundreds. Have owned and shot just about everything. Now own and shoot two Saiga AKs; one a .308 16.3" and the other a Saiga 12 15" SBS. (all 9.22r and NFA rules apply)

Kinda do know ARs. Somewhat do kinda know AKs. For my use, I believe the AK platfrom to be more desirable TO ME than the AR platform. Others will say different, which is good. You pay your money and take your choice.

Why? Too many naggy things can go wrong with the AR15. The gun physically is a little bit suspect. The 5.56x45 round is a little bit too weak. The gun needs to be kept clean. My AKs don't SEEM to have these concerns.

I chose the Saiga 308. A good cartridge. The Saiga 12 loves slugs, buckshot and low powered WW birdshot loads. Both are VERY recoil intensive. Noisy also. One toughs it out. "Ouch" and "What"? HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all of the input.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
My 100% Biased option is you should go with an AR... If you like them.

Figure out what you want out of the rifle then make the choice.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts

I trust Sam Jackson. do you?

seriously, I was having the having the same problem when I was buying. it's a tough choice. the deciding factors for me were

1) price- 400-500 for a wasr that will run, be accurate, and you can knock around no worries.
2) reliability- uneducated people use it daily and I doubt they maintain it any more than changing mags.
3) availability of cheap parts -mags, springs, triggers, gas tubes, etc.
4) availability of cheap ammo- 200 bucks for tasty m67 yugo
5) the 7.62x39 cartridge- accurate enough, strong enough, cheap enough
6) reputation- AK47 has a "bad guy gun" image and that sucks. but in a way it has that intimidation factor. people see the shape of it with the curved magazine the sound of the bolt racking is unmistakable. like a pump shotgun if you have seen TV or movies, you know what that sound is and don't ever have to actually seen one in person. its going to have a psychological affect on them. (of course that's speaking for the general public and not guys that know whats what.)

^ this is for the hope that if I ever need to use it for self defense home defense/ street defense the attackers will fear the sight of my weapon and flee without firing a shot.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I'd go with an AR of it were me. However, since this thread is posted in the AK section, I think you may have already made up your mind, lol

I was thinking the same thing. :D

The choice is yours! both Pro and cons... Write them down and then start checking them off... Whichever has the most left over. Pick that one!

If not, do the logical thing and shoot both. Which ever one you shoot most accurate with, feels comfortable, then pick that one. Simple:cool:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I would personally go for an AK.....
That being said I already have an AR. My AR runs great, but I would much rather have an AK simply for the fact that I know it will work as long as I have ammo to put in it. All else fails I can use motor oil and rags to clean it, and not feel bad for using motor oil and rags on a 1500$ plus gun. A wasr will probably be my next rifle purchase.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
All who say go for what YOU want are correct.

For me, I chose the AK via Saiga. It was an enjoyable process to convert it exactly to what I wanted. I got to know my rifle better than a normal disassembly cleaning and like others, it is going to be reliable when SHTF. That was my reason for choosing the AK vs AR. It is my very first owned rifle and I really enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Tuff choice my friend... they are both guns with massive followings and also both great guns...Inherently the Ar platform is more accurate and the Ak is more reliable... I've seen people with bent barrels take a torch and a hammer straiten it and then fire away.. Kalashnikov said himself that while other's were tightening specs he left them loose for flawless functionality..if your looking at the AR platform do NOT rule out the AR-10(Sr-25) as when Stoner was designing it his goal was to replace the M1 thus being .308 only later going to 5.56 AR-15... Hope this helps but in the end it's your choice

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Some food for thought, some info given to me by an instructor who I am learning a great deal from:

If this is a shtf gun then if you have an AR, it is likely you may be able to acquire some ammo from the local Army, National Guard, police or other armory. The odds of possibly picking up ammo from fallen soldiers, or leo's may be better as well. You'll also be proficient with operating, clearing and employing the AR which you may be able to pick up from the fallen.

If you have an AK - you "MIGHT" be able to pick up ammo from dead opposition. Otherwise how readily available will the 7.62 ammo be?

With that being said, I'm still torn between the AK/AR myself (mostly based on price), with the understanding if I go with the AK, having and adequate supply of the ammo will need to be a priority.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Some food for thought, some info given to me by an instructor who I am learning a great deal from:

If this is a shtf gun then if you have an AR, it is likely you may be able to acquire some ammo from the local Army, National Guard, police or other armory. The odds of possibly picking up ammo from fallen soldiers, or leo's may be better as well. You'll also be proficient with operating, clearing and employing the AR which you may be able to pick up from the fallen.

If you have an AK - you "MIGHT" be able to pick up ammo from dead opposition. Otherwise how readily available will the 7.62 ammo be?

With that being said, I'm still torn between the AK/AR myself (mostly based on price), with the understanding if I go with the AK, having and adequate supply of the ammo will need to be a priority.
for SHTF mindset my thoughts are:

buy a 10/22 and stock up on federal bulk packs and use that for everything from skill building to hunting.

don't shoot up your 7.62 stockpile unless you NEED your 7.62. don't shoot up your x54r stockpile unless you NEED to shoot your x54r same for .40 cal or 9mm stockpile.

buy ammo and use what you need to train and other than that store crates away.

one of my buddies made a point that if SHTF and I want an AR I can pick one up and carry it home and figure out how to fix it later.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts