Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help from you guys! Looking to mount a Red dot on the AR and was fishing for a good optic...I have been really interested in the Lucid HD7 and have read a lot of good things about it, other than its not an aimpoint or an EO (which I would love to have but serves no purpose for me at the moment as I am not in the military or LE) I have looked at the vortex strikefire and the Sparc and the strikefire is cool but the mount looks puny and looks like i could crack it off and I don't really like the sparc. My price range is 200ish....Is the Lucid good to go from those have used it or does anyone have any other red dots I might want to look at? I want something that is sturdy and accurate...Uses will be plinking/Range practice and of course I would like it to hold up for SHTF!:twisted:

·
Registered
94 Posts
You may want to look at the BurrisFastfire in the $200 price range.
For about $300 the Burris AR332 is a 3x lighted reticle scope with a Bullet drop compensator that works whether or not the batteries are dead. These are still 2nd tier options as far as durability and quality.

My experience was buying about $350 worth of cheap optics for my AR.
I finally got a little wiser and went with a quality setup. Talk about a noticable difference. I wasted that first 350 on stuff that was adequate but frustrating until it broke. Also cheap red dots seem to always have dead batteries.

Eotech's can be had now for about $375, They last forever, have great battery life and are difficult to break, if you can I would just save up for that or an aimpoint. Pay once, cry once.

Did you notice that for what i wasted on the cheap stuff could have got the Eotech in the first place and saved about $350?

Sinicerely
Mr. I did what your about to do and now I regret it.:???:

(the cheap crap I had was a Barska red dot, then an inexpensive Bushnell scope, both were awful and broke, ymmv)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
If you want to spend a little extra cash, you can find the Aimpoint PRO for around $400. From my understanding and research it is a great 2 MOA red dot sight.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I recently picked up a QD SightMarkfor my AR. No problems with it yet! For a $100 it sure is a neat red dot with 4 different modes. Reviews have been positive, and it got my personal Polish review (I dropped the dawn thing already on concrete, no cracks just a minor scratch).

·
Registered
744 Posts
Go browse ebay for a bit.

You'll find an aimpoint with a mount for a reasonable price.
Really doesn't matter if you're military or not. Buy once cry once: do it right the first time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently picked up a QD SightMarkfor my AR. No problems with it yet! For a $100 it sure is a neat red dot with 4 different modes. Reviews have been positive, and it got my personal Polish review (I dropped the dawn thing already on concrete, no cracks just a minor scratch).

Sorry to hijack, but what sling are you using in this pic?

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Don't rule out Primary Arms red dots. Good reviews everywhere and a great range, plinking optic. I have one on my M&P 15 that has run flawlessly for two years and another on my 10/22. Both are the M4 style. Inexpensive and PA owner has exceptional CS.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have the strike fire, there is a review a page or two back (edit: found it here). I have only shot with it once, but I really like it. The mount is super solid, no need to worry about that. The dot is clear and bright even in mid day on a white background. They have an unconditional lifetime warranty, but I doubt you would ever need it. I haven't heard a bad review yet. After going to look at Aimpoints and EOTechs I just didn't see any need for me to spend the extra money on one of those.

I have also heard a lot of good things about the Lucids, just no hands on experience with them.

·
Registered
838 Posts
IF your budget allows more than one option , get a red dot AND a scope with at least four power. The Nikon M223 series is made for the AR, relatively inexpensive and very, very high quality.

However, many buy a scope OR a red dot and then find themselves using the rifle for things not well suited to their choice.

Hot items because of the war are the aimpoints. Expensive, very good and IF you have the budget, fine.

Hot item because of LE use is EOTech. Again a very good product for its intended use which is close in and fast target acquisition.

However IF you will do most of your shooting at the range at distance of 100 yds. or more OR are going to use it to hunt, a scope is a better choice with the power dependent on intended use.

Point is, we have different desires and needs. Decide what is most important and buy the best youcan afford that will suit your intended use.;)

BTW. the Strikefire is an excellent option for an inexpensive but very servicable red dot. Opt for the red only over the red/green because the brightness is better.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the options guys! Definitely expanded my options and is making me think a little more! Looks like I have a little more research to do!

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Don't rule out Primary Arms red dots. Good reviews everywhere and a great range, plinking optic. I have one on my M&P 15 that has run flawlessly for two years and another on my 10/22. Both are the M4 style. Inexpensive and PA owner has exceptional CS.
I would second this...:)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I would second this...:)
X3. I have the PA M4 as well and it's been solid.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FWIW:
Their are two Aimpoint C3's at my house . The C3 seems like the best buy for a civilian in the long run : super tough , battery life measured in years , plenty of good mounts available. Look around for sales. They show up used from time to time . Be careful of fakes , some are hard to spot -right down to the counterfeit warrenty cards.

A C3 on a cantilever mount allows for mounting a magnifier behind the RDS . A LaRue Po'Boy Special can be a great dealif you can find a used one for sale The two at my house are not for sale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts