Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to order my upper today. I live in NY, so no matter what it is, it must have a permanently attached muzzle brake. With that, and a standard front sight, if I don't have a 1 piece free float handguard installed now, then am I correct in thinking my only upgrade option in the future (that wouldn't require a lot of work) would be a 2-piece?

Is there a big difference between a 1-piece free float, say the YHM Lightweight and a 2-piece system, like the Daniel Defense Omega's? Are the Omega's considered a FF even though they are a 2-piece? I really like the DD Omega's, so I'm leaning towards that option. I am just an AR newb looking for some help!

·
Registered
760 Posts
If you go with a one piece, you'll need to remove the front sight base.

There are several two piece systems out there that are very nice. The Daniel Defense Omega rail you mentioned is a high quality piece of gear and is 100% free floating.

I recently bought a Troy 2 piece and it's been rock solid. It's also free floating and I've been really happy with it.

IMO both are much higher quality than a YHM 1 piece.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I think I'm going to go with the standard mid-length tappered hanguard for now and then upgrade to the Daniel Defense later.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
If you have traditional front (tower) sights, you'll have to have a 2 piece forend to work that installs like a regular forend (like the UTG/Leapers or command arms M44) because of the front sight unless you want to chop them off above the gas port.

If it's a low profile gas block, you may be able to slide a forend tube over it depending on how it was made.

The only way to swap handguards on it to a traditional freefloater type is to remove the front sight/gas block and the only way to do that is slide it off of the barrel (which isnt' possible to do) or cut it out of the way like I mentioned above.

edit: I just saw where you were wanting a midlength forend. The 2 forends I mentioned above is for a standard carbine length and not what you want. Unfortunately, I dont' think you'll be using the DD Omega either.

You're probably going to have to resort to just using an add-on rail to the regular forend like this: ADD-A-RAIL SYSTEM: Mounting Solutions Plus (MSP)

I'm not aware of any clamp on 2 piece midlength rails. I'm sure if they're out there someone will chime in later.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks! I think I'm going to go with the standard mid-length tappered hanguard for now and then upgrade to the Daniel Defense later.

Thats a good idea, the DD Omega Rails like said above are 100% FF, I have the Omega 7 on my Stag and I just purchased my CMMG Upper today to complete my 2nd Black Rifle, CMMG Lower, CMMG 16" Mid-Length and soon the Omega 9 will be going on there.

The Daniel Defense Omega Rails are very solid and not as bulky as a lot of the rails out there right now.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
If you have traditional front (tower) sights, you'll have to have a 2 piece forend to work that installs like a regular forend (like the UTG/Leapers or command arms M44) because of the front sight unless you want to chop them off above the gas port.

If it's a low profile gas block, you may be able to slide a forend tube over it depending on how it was made.

The only way to swap handguards on it to a traditional freefloater type is to remove the front sight/gas block and the only way to do that is slide it off of the barrel (which isnt' possible to do) or cut it out of the way like I mentioned above.

edit: I just saw where you were wanting a midlength forend. The 2 forends I mentioned above is for a standard carbine length and not what you want. Unfortunately, I dont' think you'll be using the DD Omega either.

You're probably going to have to resort to just using an add-on rail to the regular forend like this: ADD-A-RAIL SYSTEM: Mounting Solutions Plus (MSP)

I'm not aware of any clamp on 2 piece midlength rails. I'm sure if they're out there someone will chime in later.

DD make the Omega for Midlength as well. DD Omega 9 :D I just wish they'd make it for the AR-10 as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts