Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so im on rock river putting together an upper half, one of the options is for the front sight. I dont want to have the fixed sights on there because im gonna order it with a free floating handguard and use a flip up sight. So i have to have a gas block in there right? I see thats one of the options in the menu with the sights.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Yep, you'll need a gas block. Unless you get one of the longer Daniel Defense hand-guards.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Basically you can get a dedicated flip front sight w/gas block, or a railed gas block and then install a flip sight on the rail.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, so i should choose gas block with detachable front sight..........dont need the weaver gas block with the rail.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah the rra flip up front sight is hideous looking, its got 3 sling mounts on it..............id rather just buy a nice troy flip up and put it on the rail.....much cleaner.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heres the order..............

Options: Quad Rail Free Float: +$160.00,Stainless Steel, 1:8: +$65.00,Gas Block/Detachable Front Sight: +$75.00,Smith Vortex Flash Hider: +$54.00,Gas Buster with Big Latch: +$65.00

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
There is alot to be said for a fixed A2 front sight as it is clean looking, allows co-witness with red-dot optics, is very durable, is solid and will not shift or work loose, and will not get in the way of a scope if the scope is mounted properly (high enough). Or you can order a gas block with a Weaver top rail. The Weaver top rail is lower than a handguard quad rail, so you need to order a flip up sight for a Weaver gas block. There is not much sense in getting a removable front sight (think of what circumstances where you might attach it or remove it), or that RRA gas block with integral folding front sight and multiple sling loops (a bracing sling should attach to your free float rail, not the gas block of a free float gun). If the free float quad rail covers the gas block you can mount a folding front sight on the top rail, but it must be designed for top rails, not gas blocks.

I like GG&G front and rear BUIS's (A2 2008 rear version). They lock in the up position and are very strong. For a red dot optic I would opt for a fixed front sight and GG&G folding rear sight. For a big variable scope, I would go for a LaRue LT-104 quick detach mount with GG&G back up folding sights front and rear.

RRA is an excellent choice; I have three, all mid-length gas systems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts