Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to build an AR for hunting fairly large game; deer, elk, etc. Don't need an African big game caliber! ;) What caliber and barrel do you recommend? Would prefer to be able to use in a mil-spec AR-15 lower but not a hard requirement. Thoughts?

I've been looking at the 6.5 grendel.

·
Registered
253 Posts
6.8 SPC - I think this will be my next one to build for the same reason

450 Bushmaster
458 SOCOM
50 Beowulf

Those may be bigger than you want

What about wildcats?

300WSSM
7mmWSSM

I would go that route if I loaded my own

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I have been looking at 6.5 grendel.... best bang for your buck, and great out to a 1000yds. Best for all those big game distances, and you can use the same lower and mags. Just different followers I believe. So yeah I think that would be the best choice if you don't want to buy a new lower.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 338 Federal looks good as well but takes the AR-10 Lower. If I'm not mistaken the 6.5 Grendel is the only one that will work on a AR-15 Lower?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The 6.5 Grendel is one of the most promising AR-15 platform cartridges that I can recall in some years. It certainly has the accuracy potential, ballistic capability and terminal performance for most North American "deer-size" game.

If you are going after Elk or Moose...I would go higher in caliber even though there are reports of the 6.5 Grendel being hell on Elk. There are other calibers compatible with the standard AR-15 lower with an upper conversion suitable for large N.A. game:

458 socom
50 beowolf
300 Whisper
243WSSM
358WSSM

The 458 and 50 will be great brush guns and perform very well at ranges of less than 150 yards (maybe closer to 100 depending on the setup of your rifle), whereas the 6.5 will give you considerably more range, but with lighter bullets that may not take down Elk/Moose size game past 300 or so yards.

Switching to the AR-10 platform opens a whole new range of calibers and is likely a better option for you. First off, the standard AR-10 is chambered in .308 which is arguably one of the finest "all around" cartridges for deer-sized game on the continent. You also have upper conversions in the following calibers:

243 Win
260Rem
7mm-08
284Win
35Rem
300Savage
257Roberts
358Win.
270WSM
7mmWSM
300WSM
325WSM
450Marlin

The range that you want to hunt at, combined with the maximum sized game you want to hunt, will likely give you the best all around caliber. I'd probably go with something like the 300WSM. It will push 180gr loads close to the ballistics of the 300WM and is VERY suitable for all North American game animals even at extended ranges.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I just got my new Grendel barrel yesterday (took 12 days instead of the 3-4 weeks they quoted me). I'll be assembling it this weekend as long as my gas block and everything else shows-up on time... Although there isn't too much of a rush since my scope is backordered for another couple weeks. :(

But you know my vote goes for the Grendel... We've already been through all this. ;)

·
Registered
29,767 Posts
All in my post use ar 15 lowers, except .270.

A straight AR 10 isn't a bad choice, either... .308 can take some pretty large game.
Sorry. .243 (Winchester) uses an AR10 lower. .243 WSSM can use an AR15 lower.

Getting back to the OP--my buddy took a deer using a .223 AR last week. With proper placement, it'll do just fine.

Otherwise, I'd say 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel would be the next best choice.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got my new Grendel barrel yesterday (took 12 days instead of the 3-4 weeks they quoted me). I'll be assembling it this weekend as long as my gas block and everything else shows-up on time... Although there isn't too much of a rush since my scope is backordered for another couple weeks. :(

But you know my vote goes for the Grendel... We've already been through all this. ;)
Hooz,
You got a 24" from AA if I recall? Which barrel exactly (barrel bolt combo or Shilent with upper)? Talked to Melissa and they are trying to work out just being able to buy a Shilent barrel/bolt combo but she wasn't sure when that was going to happen. Did you get the beat blasted or not? Pics?

I ordered an Upper Billet from them and will be on a 4-6 week wait they say. :(

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 6.5 Grendel is one of the most promising AR-15 platform cartridges that I can recall in some years. It certainly has the accuracy potential, ballistic capability and terminal performance for most North American "deer-size" game.

If you are going after Elk or Moose...I would go higher in caliber even though there are reports of the 6.5 Grendel being hell on Elk. There are other calibers compatible with the standard AR-15 lower with an upper conversion suitable for large N.A. game:

458 socom
50 beowolf
300 Whisper
243WSSM
358WSSM

The 458 and 50 will be great brush guns and perform very well at ranges of less than 150 yards (maybe closer to 100 depending on the setup of your rifle), whereas the 6.5 will give you considerably more range, but with lighter bullets that may not take down Elk/Moose size game past 300 or so yards.

Switching to the AR-10 platform opens a whole new range of calibers and is likely a better option for you. First off, the standard AR-10 is chambered in .308 which is arguably one of the finest "all around" cartridges for deer-sized game on the continent. You also have upper conversions in the following calibers:

243 Win
260Rem
7mm-08
284Win
35Rem
300Savage
257Roberts
358Win.
270WSM
7mmWSM
300WSM
325WSM
450Marlin

The range that you want to hunt at, combined with the maximum sized game you want to hunt, will likely give you the best all around caliber. I'd probably go with something like the 300WSM. It will push 180gr loads close to the ballistics of the 300WM and is VERY suitable for all North American game animals even at extended ranges.
Thanks. The .450 Bushmaster is also on a AR15 platform. I've been eyeing that one but would like some longer range capability. I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
6.8 SPC is optimized for a 110 gr bullet.

The 6.5 will handle long and heavy bullets, the 6.5x55 Sweede is considered a good round for moose in its native country.

The 6.5 Grendell give performance pretty close to the 6.5x55.

If you want longer range performance than the .458, .450, and .500's have I think the 6.5 Grendell is a good choice.

There also is a new round being brought out by Remington called the .30 Remington AR or .30 RAR that might work for you. It gives almost .308 performance out of the AR15.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hooz,
You got a 24" from AA if I recall? Which barrel exactly (barrel bolt combo or Shilent with upper)? Talked to Melissa and they are trying to work out just being able to buy a Shilent barrel/bolt combo but she wasn't sure when that was going to happen. Did you get the beat blasted or not? Pics?

I ordered an Upper Billet from them and will be on a 4-6 week wait they say. :(
I got the 24" bead-blasted barrel/bolt combo from AA. My other Grendel is the 18" AA combo and it shoots VERY well, so I didn't see the need to pay extra for a "match grade" barrel from a big name (I'd go Satern over Shilen if I did, though ;)).

No pictures yet. I'm taking my time on this build. Since this is going to be a dedicated long-range gun, I'm going slow to make sure it is assembled perfectly (bedding the barrel and gas block, etc).

I have the AA billet upper that you ordered. It is worth every penny you pay, and every bit of the 4-6 week wait.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the 24" bead-blasted barrel/bolt combo from AA. My other Grendel is the 18" AA combo and it shoots VERY well, so I didn't see the need to pay extra for a "match grade" barrel from a big name (I'd go Satern over Shilen if I did, though ;)).

No pictures yet. I'm taking my time on this build. Since this is going to be a dedicated long-range gun, I'm going slow to make sure it is assembled perfectly (bedding the barrel and gas block, etc).

I have the AA billet upper that you ordered. It is worth every penny you pay, and every bit of the 4-6 week wait.
That's pretty much what I'd like to have is a hunter/long range shooter. Can you shoot me a pic of the bead blasted barrel. I'm debating on the bead blasting or not. PM me if you want an email address.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have no idea about relating it to AR's, but a .270 is a great all around cal for most North American game. Not too huge for deer either. A 300 win Mag would be in the same catagory, but pushing the large size for deer. My favorite deer cal; 257 Roberts is a great shooter for deer and even varmints. I suggest reloading if you go that route though!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
6.8 SPC is optimized for a 110 gr bullet.

The 6.5 will handle long and heavy bullets, the 6.5x55 Sweede is considered a good round for moose in its native country.

The 6.5 Grendell give performance pretty close to the 6.5x55.

If you want longer range performance than the .458, .450, and .500's have I think the 6.5 Grendell is a good choice.

There also is a new round being brought out by Remington called the .30 Remington AR or .30 RAR that might work for you. It gives almost .308 performance out of the AR15.
that looks pretty good. i might invest in one of those if another company builds one

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I was assuming you wanted to see the finish on the bead-blasted barrel so, here it is...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was assuming you wanted to see the finish on the bead-blasted barrel so, here it is...
Hooz,
Great man. Can you show me what the rest of the barrel looks like? Is it threaded and fluted?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts