Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to go to the range. I checked BCM to see what there break in procedure is for my barrel(Stainless Steel 410) During the procedure it touches on cleaning and how important it is to use the proper tools/equipment for your weapon. So now I need to purchase my cleaning tools/equipment and supplies. The problem is I don't whats good or a quality product to do so. I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction please...?

Thanks-Jason

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Nothing more magical about cleaning an AR than any other rifle or pistol. Getting the right sized patches and brushes will help and staying away from steel brushes will minimize scratches inside the barrel. If it's a precision gun then you can get a bore guide to prevent the tip of the brush from scratching the bore as many do with their bolt guns and other long range precision rifles. If it's a hard use or short range rifle then normal barrel cleaning will be fine. All the same cleaners and copper solvents that you use on pistols work as do the warnings about letting the harsh stuff like Sweets sit in your barrel. All the same cleaning principles apply.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Im trying to figure out if any cleaner is better then another and who makes the better equipment or are they all basically just as good as the other?
Its a 16" 410 stainless steel barrel 1/8 twist Nato Match chambering. I built it competition shooting.

·
Registered
793 Posts
So far, I have pretty much just done what I do with all my other guns. Liberal CLP, wipe everything off really well with patches. Wipe everything down with a light coat of CLP and let it sit for a while, then wipe off again. Bore-snake for the barrel, spray a little CLP in before it, on the front of it and on the tail and run it through a few times. The only part that is annoying/frustrating for me is the chamber. I bought a chamber brush, but after scrubbing, its hard to get it clean. So far I have just used cotton swabs. I know there are specific sponge/mop type things you can buy for it, and I might just have to break down and get those.

Now, I will say that I am new to ARs, but I have read a lot about the cleaning process as well. The method I use seems to clean well without taking all day.

·
Registered
838 Posts
IF you buy a decent boreguide, you can use the steel rods that come in a GI cleaning kit. I am using CLP because its what I always used but lots of people seem to be switching to Gunzilla because it is non toxic and supposed to do as good or better a job.

You can get good stuff here........Home Page

CLP is available at any gunshop.

Good "how to" stuff available here.....Maintenance & Cleaning - AR15.COM

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I use gunzilla on my pistols and have for over a year now. I really like there product.I also use a bore snake. Didn't know there was a bore snake for ARs. I was worried about running a "metal" rod down the barrel. I'm also looking into carbon fiber rods.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks guys! I use gunzilla on my pistols and have for over a year now. I really like there product.I also use a bore snake. Didn't know there was a bore snake for ARs. I was worried about running a "metal" rod down the barrel. I'm also looking into carbon fiber rods.
Also too i forgot to tell ya u can take a styrofoam cup and fill with water and put any cleaner/oil in it and i bet it wont go thru the water and eat the bottom of the cup out.Well guess what stryke hold will so that right there tells ya how good of a protectant it is too.And it dont contain parafin like alot of others do

·
Registered
334 Posts
Also too i forgot to tell ya u can take a styrofoam cup and fill with water and put any cleaner/oil in it and i bet it wont go thru the water and eat the bottom of the cup out.Well guess what stryke hold will so that right there tells ya how good of a protectant it is too.And it dont contain parafin like alot of others do
:confused::confused: What?

-Tim

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If it's a sharpshooting weapon, I'd baby the investment; a true "precision" AR will run $2k without breaking a sweat.

If you're running a <$1k system, a boresnake for range cleaning and one pass with a copper or coated-steel cleaning rod does me just fine.

Also, what's with the lack of love for Hoppe's in this thread?! Hoppes Number-9 Solvent, and they also make an oil that works pretty well. However, for moving parts I'm also a fan of sewing machine oil -- not very viscous so it doesn't gum up the works, and it handles heat changes well.

My $0.02, ymmv

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I totally forgot I recieved some extra stuff with my BCG order after a small mix up which wasn't a big deal but the dealer included a 2oz bottle of Mil-Comm MC2500 and a 1oz bottle of Militec-1 for the delay. I also have my Gunzilla but I'm thinking I'll try out something with better copper removing properties such as CLP, Sweets, or Bore Shine.

As far as the cost of the rifle it's total cost is around $1500-1800 best I can guess(until I add the optics). I bought it in pieces. You can see it in my signature link. For now I look at it as a Precision rifle but I'm not exactly sure if it fits that mold. I'm just trying to break it in and get some range time to see what she can really do. A BCM representative posted that I should go to Kreigers website and follow there break in procedure (which they included a link Break-In & Cleaning ).
Now i just need to put together a list of cleaning gear (tools) I'll need. But I'm also looking into the kits offered on the links that people provided. Rifles are all new to me so this will be my first true experience with one and ownership.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Unless it is a match barrel, break-in procedure:

(A) Shoot it till you run out of ammo for the day.

(B) Clean the bore of carbon, and clean the bore of copper.

(C) Repeat (A) and (B) until you have several hundred rounds through it.

(D) Done!

·
Registered
793 Posts
I just realized something.

If I have a nice nylon bristle brush for the lugs/feedramps, and a bore snake. Do I even need a chamber brush? The nylon brush cleans the lugs/ramps and the boresnake cleans the chamber, right?

I already have one, but frankly its annoying to use, since the rest of the process is relatively "tool-less".

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I just realized something.

If I have a nice nylon bristle brush for the lugs/feedramps, and a bore snake. Do I even need a chamber brush? The nylon brush cleans the lugs/ramps and the boresnake cleans the chamber, right?

I already have one, but frankly its annoying to use, since the rest of the process is relatively "tool-less".
If you are talking about a handheld toothbrush type then I would suggest the chamber brush. Since you can't get your hand inside the receiver it's hard to get all sides of the lugs. Much easier to just get a chamber brush with the bristles that clean the lugs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts