Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the idea to buy a complete rifle went out the window. Then I got the wrong lower ordered by my ffl that was supposed to be a DPMS turned out to be a M&P complete lower with m4 buttstock..... thank god its way better quality. So far I have 2 pmags, a BCM gunfighter charging handle, and a PSA auto BCG. Now I want a BCM barreled upper. What do you guys think a m4 or mid length? And for a stock and should I just do a magpul handguard or do a free float? Thanks for any advice I just wanted to know what you guys think so far and get some input for the rest of the build.
P.S. so far this forum has been one of the most helpful.

·
Registered
838 Posts
IMHO, short of buying a complete rifle or upper and changing out later, go for the FF quadrail now while it can be done without major surgery or compromising quality for ease of installation.

·
Registered
393 Posts
IMHO, short of buying a complete rifle or upper and changing out later, go for the FF quadrail now while it can be done without major surgery or compromising quality for ease of installation.
I agree, might as well do a free float right away...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thats why i was thinking of spending the extra dough now. The barreled uppers I'm am looking at don't come with them. Are there any special parts I need to get to mount it to a upper?

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
I like the midlength. If I build another AR it'll be a midlength. Longer sight radius, a little nicer gas system, and it fits a bayonet. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the mid length for more hand guard to grab onto but i dont know :confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kinda like the free float that goes around m4 front sight. That way i have usable rail in front of the sight.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Midlength is good. Most makers will upgrade the handguard but you may have to wait as opposed to taking what a vendor has on hand or on sale. Figure it worth the wait and don't compromise for sake of speed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to look into that. With the price of the ff the magpul is looking better

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm looking at getting another 5.56 upper, and making it a KISS type with just MOE handguards. If I can find a BCM mid-length, that would be my choice, but right now, almost everything AR related is in short supply, and BCM is sold out of most uppers.

BTW - I already have a Daniels middy with Daniels 12" Free-float rails.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Unless you're applying for membership in Rambolistas Universal Club, then quad rails will be a lot of superfluous rail. You can get a YHM free float tube with a couple of detachable rails for around $100. A $500 fft won't be any more accurate than a $75 fft.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Unless you're applying for membership in Rambolistas Universal Club, then quad rails will be a lot of superfluous rail. You can get a YHM free float tube with a couple of detachable rails for around $100. A $500 fft won't be any more accurate than a $75 fft.
Agree with this in that way too many load up the forend with stuff they will never need or use. FF, however, is better IF within your budget. I do however think 500 and 75 are the absolute extremes IF even actually existant.:p

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BCM has 16in. light weight, mid length in stock right now. It comes without hand guards and bcg/charging handle.

Which yhm free float can just have rails added and will i have to remove the fixed front sight because thats a option i don't want to part with

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I like the midlength. If I build another AR it'll be a midlength. Longer sight radius, a little nicer gas system, and it fits a bayonet. ;)
^^^ This with the FF...Good luck and don't forget pics when she's all dressed up...:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh i'll post pics I'd have pics of what i have now but the damn airshow on base takes up tons of time I'll try to get what i have up this weekend

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Your "anti-tacticool" stance is well known to regulars here, but this constant deriding of people for simply having tastes different than your own gets old fast.

People are going to like what they like, and don't need you bullying them because they don't think like you.

·
Registered
713 Posts
BCM has 16in. light weight, mid length in stock right now. It comes without hand guards and bcg/charging handle.

Which yhm free float can just have rails added and will i have to remove the fixed front sight because thats a option i don't want to part with
The YHM FF smooth/customizable handguards #s YHM-9430A (specter length), YHM-9431A (carbine length), and YHM-9432A (rifle length) are the models that let you place rail section wherever you want. Sadly, their website doesn't list a mid-length model, so if you want to keep your FSB, those are a no-go. If they do make a middy model, and they just don't have it listed on their website, then you can go with it.

YHM does sell another smoothish FF hg, but these have rails that are machined onto the tube and are not moveable/customizable. They do offer this one in a mid length (# YHM-5004A)

I have two YHM FF lightweight handguards on uppers right now; one middy and one rifle. For the dinkin' around that I do, they work well. They were affordable, installation was simple (though I did not have a FSB to contend with), and they do what they are supposed to do - FF the barrel. BUT - and this is just something to think about - unless YHM is doing something different these days, their FF handguards utilize anti-rotation screws that lock into the barrel nut. Basically, the only way you're going to rotate the handguard is if you apply enough torque to rotate the barrel nut. I haven't had a problem with mine, but I don't 'run and gun' with mine. But, I guess the possibility exists that the handguard could rotate on you if the barrel nut wasn't torqued properly. If you install the YHM handguard yourself, or have it installed by a competent person/smith, you can vastly reduce the chances of this happening.

That said, if you plan on a lot of hard-charging, heavy-duty, nitty-gritty, diving-out-of-moving-vehicles type manuevers, perhaps consider a free-floated handguard that has some sort of anti-rotation system that ties into(onto) the upper receiver somehow.

If you want a middy upper and want to go with a FF handguard and still keep the FSB, your choices are:

-to get DD handguard that has the FSB cutout at the middy location (if you want some 'railestate' to extend past the standard middy hg length)
-you need to get a middy-length FF tube.

Whatever you decide on, remember that the AR platform is modular, and you can change things up down the road if you need/want/can afford to.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That's what I just ordered, but with a Magpul MOE handguard. I already have an MOE light mounting kit somewhere around the house.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good deal man. I'll start looking after this weekend of hell. keep up the input guys

1 - 19 of 19 Posts