Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im thinking about getting one of these. With these are some better than others?? What all do need. When shooting, are the sights/scopes still sighted in?? Does it differ very much?? Accuracy? Any info would be great. Thanks

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
I have a ceiner conversion.

The sights are normally a little off, but it's manageable. I forget how far off they are at 25 yards.

Worst case scenario, if you have an A2 you can turn the windage and elevation and turn them back afterwards.

I can't even remember what the accuracy is like... I'll have to shoot it this week and refresh my memory.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Do they make strictly .22 uppers instead of the conversion kits? I'm really not knowledgeable about the .22 ARs but I'd like to build one as a range toy. I know a lot of people say the Spikes Tactical .22 stuff is top notch. Any help that anyone can share would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Thumper, there's several places that make dedicated 22 uppers.

And there's several places that has started making the 22 conversion bolts too in some form or another.

·
Registered
809 Posts
ok this is my .02
if you want accuracy go whit a Ar-22
but if you just want to shoot for fun get the .22 conversion bolts
spike has a good AR-22 .22LR Upper M4 [.22LR Rifle] - $600.00 : Spikes Tactical

and a new .22 conversion bolts
.22LR conversion kit for AR-15 [.22LRconvKit] - $199.99 : Spikes Tactical

ther both nickle plated so they run smother and lees oil to use and easy to clean up
ther all so ceiner conversion kit ther good but he is a pain in the [email protected]@ to get any thing ther back order gose as far as 3 to 4 months just to get one from him
ther all so Tactical Solutions AR-22
Tactical Solutions AR-.22 Conversion W/Front Sight Post - .22LR Upper Assembly and Parts - Addax Inc

hope this helps you out

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
If you are looking for the best accuracy with .22LR you should get a dedicated .22LR upper. The Spikes upper has a 1x16 twist barrel which is needed for the best stabilization of the .22LR round. Using a conversion kit out of a barrel that has a twist of 1x7, 1x8, 1x9 or 1x12 doesn't put enough spin on the bullet to stabilize it. That is what I have been told and have read on the subject. Not to say that it won't work with a slower twist barrel, just that it won't be as accurate.

Also if you are using a conversion kit you should fire a few rounds of .223/5.56 down the barrel after removing the kit in order to clean the gas tube out. .22LR is mostly dirty and will leave powder residue in the gas tube. If not kept clean it will foul the gas tube. By firing a few rounds of .223/5.56 through the barrel after shooting .22LR it will burn off any residue built up inside the gas tube.

I recently purchased a Spikes Tactical dedicated .22LR lower and .22LR upper. Can't really tell you much about how it performs because I have been working too much and haven't had time to try it out with all the family functions during the holidays. :(

Here is a link to AR15.com where they have a thread with just .22LR AR's. Eye candy for all of you who are interested in a dedicated .22LR.

http://www.ak47.net/lite/topic.html?b=2&f=282&t=159947

·
Registered
150 Posts
Spikes is the way to go! I have a ceiner and was using it in a non-dedicated upper before going with Spikes. Both run fine....but the Spikes upper is more accurate and smoother.

I know there's quite a "wait" on the Spikes upper but it's worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
....Using a conversion kit out of a barrel that has a twist of 1x7, 1x8, 1x9 or 1x12 doesn't put enough spin on the bullet to stabilize it. That is what I have been told and have read on the subject. Not to say that it won't work with a slower twist barrel, just that it won't be as accurate.

You are reading it backwards.

1:7, 1:8, and 1:9 are FASTER twist rates than 1:14.

1:7 means the twist turns 1 complete time in 7" of barrel length. If the twist turns once in 14" it is spinning the bullet half as fast as a 1 in 7 twist.

Generally speaking longer heavier bullets need a faster twist rate. .22 LR shoots 30-40 gr, short round nosed bullets so it needs a slower twist.

When firing a .22 LR in a 1:7 AR15 you are actually over stabilizing the bullet or spinning it faster than it needs to. Also the faster than needed twist rate with a soft lead .22LR bullet can lead to lead fouling.

If you want to find out more about picking the proper twist rate for a given caliber do a Google Search on "Greenhill Formula"

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks. sounds like its not a good idea..... too many problems can come from it.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
You are reading it backwards.

1:7, 1:8, and 1:9 are FASTER twist rates than 1:14.

1:7 means the twist turns 1 complete time in 7" of barrel length. If the twist turns once in 14" it is spinning the bullet half as fast as a 1 in 7 twist.

Generally speaking longer heavier bullets need a faster twist rate. .22 LR shoots 30-40 gr, short round nosed bullets so it needs a slower twist.

When firing a .22 LR in a 1:7 AR15 you are actually over stabilizing the bullet or spinning it faster than it needs to. Also the faster than needed twist rate with a soft lead .22LR bullet can lead to lead fouling.

If you want to find out more about picking the proper twist rate for a given caliber do a Google Search on "Greenhill Formula"
vafish...........you are correct, I had it backwards. :(

Must be my damned dyslexia kicking in! :lol:

I stand corrected.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
thanks. sounds like its not a good idea..... too many problems can come from it.
I wouldn't say they are not a good idea, It really depends what you want.

The conversion kits allow you to plink cheaper, for around $200 you can fire your AR for a lot less money. They won't be as accurate as a dedicated .22LR upper, and most manufacturers recommend you remove the kit and fire a few 5.56 rounds through to clear out the gas system before you clog it up.

The conversion kits work well within their limitations. But, a dedicated upper, at almost 3 times the price, will work better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts