Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a complete rifle n00b, so please bear with me if this is a retarded question.

What are the PRACTICAL differences between the Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle and your basic AR15?

I am not talking about enjoyment or tacticoolness, I am only concerned about the practical differences.

Won't they both put the same round right where you point it? Don't they both take the same great 30-round magazines?

Please help!

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
i dont know about the new 14s but the older ones cant seem to hold about a 2" group

15s can hold subMOA groups

one plus though 14s are easier to [email protected]@@[email protected]@@:wink:

to me the 14 kind of reminds me more of the operation of a M1 carbine, if you disassemble both youll see what im talking about

the 15 does have a wider range of calibers and you can swap uppers

the 14 only has 3 (223, 762x39 and the new 6.8) and you cant change calibers

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
my experience with the mini14 and the ar15 are that the mini14 is less accurate and less dependable.

as much as ive hammered on my friends 14, weve never had a stoppage

but i do totally agree with the accuracy.

i just wonder if the new ones have resolved that issue

((awesome 762 post! a good number))

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I had a hard time selling my mini-14 'cause I wouldn't lie about it. Finally found a Know-it-all whom was sold on the rifle before he even saw it. I didn't have to open my mouth. I had a standard .223/5.56. 3moa tops. But, if I heated up the barrel with say, 30rds, accuracy bacame a real problem! 4-5moa! It was really easy on the eyes. It always went BANG when the triggar was pulled. But if you want to hit a targat smaller than a basketball at 100yds, look elsewhere! Oh yeah, they are a little cheaper than an AR. $603.00 at WAL-MART.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys!

I had been leaning towards an AR, but my buddy swears by his Mini 14 and has been pushing me to get the cheaper gun.

I think I will stick with the AR -- besides, it looks way cooler!

Unfortunately it will be a couple months, the topic just came up between us today.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Keep in mind that the outcome of Nov 4th can have an effect of ALL firearms and a big one on AR-15's.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Mini-14 was cool, I had one and loved to play with it. All my friends loved to shoot it. I traded it in to get my ar-15 and wow I am 100 times happier with that. I can not get my friends off it. I am about to tell them to start buying there own ammo.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
i dont know about the new 14s but the older ones cant seem to hold about a 2" group

15s can hold subMOA groups

one plus though 14s are easier to [email protected]@@[email protected]@@:wink:

to me the 14 kind of reminds me more of the operation of a M1 carbine, if you disassemble both youll see what im talking about

the 15 does have a wider range of calibers and you can swap uppers

the 14 only has 3 (223, 762x39 and the new 6.8) and you cant change calibers
Or the operation of an M14? Except it's a .223 rather than a .308, therefore a "mini"? ;)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I had been leaning towards an AR, but my buddy swears by his Mini 14 and has been pushing me to get the cheaper gun.
You need a new buddy!! ;)

In all sincerity, the Mini-14 just cannot touch the AR-15 on all categories of comparison. Even the newer Mini's seem to have accuracy difficulties. I was at a local range about a month ago and a guy had one he had just bought about two months before that. He had tried various ammo from surplus to commercial match ammo (BH, Federal GMM, Hornady) and his best groups were right at 2MOA with Hornady 60gr TAP. With all due respect...that just doesn't cut it for me.

There is a company (the only one I know of) that is "customizing" the Mini-14 rifles, but they ain't cheap. Check out Accuracy Systems:

Custom Ruger Mini 14 30 Rifles Accuracy Systems Gunsmith

The problem is that you buy a Mini-14 for, say, $600...then you have to pay that, plus another $800 or so dollars to get it to shoot sub-MOA. The funny part is that even with one of the "Conservative" upgrade packages that they offer, the cost of which is $400, the accuracy guarantee is only 1.75MOA!!! So, at a minimum, you buy a $600 rifle, put $400 worth of upgrades into it, and you have a $1000 rifle that won't shoot as well as a rack grade AR-15!!

GET AN AR-15!! (and with the election coming up, with rumors already flying about another AWB, etc., etc., I would say you'd better get it sooner rather than later before prices rise...or worse).

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Ar15 is a lot better in almost all respects. The guys who've chimed in above have pretty much put it out there for you.

The AR15 IS without a doubt much more accurate. How Ruger can lose so much accuracy shooting the same bullet is beyond me.

The AR15 can change calibers quickly to serve different roles. So having one makes sense from a multi-purpose rifle from plinking to big game hunting and everything in between.

The AR15 is a much more versatile platform. If you can dream it up, you can build it that way. From protecting your family to putting food on the table to weekend pop can recycler. The AR can do it.

I'm sure your buddy is happy with his mini, but it's obvious he doesn't know what he's missing. Which is probably about everything he shoots at that's smaller than a barn. :lol:

In my experience, even AK47's are more accurate and more reliable. And I've not seen many of either in target competitions. There's a reason for that. People use what works and leave what doesn't at home.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Won't they both put the same round right where you point it? Don't they both take the same great 30-round magazines?

ARs are much more accurate than Mini-14s. The super thin barrel on the Mini is the main reason for its mediocre accuracy. After a few rounds, it heats up and begins throwing shots. Both guns take different mags, and USGI mags for the AR are dirt cheap. A replacement mag for the Mini is at least $30, compared to $10-14 for AR mags, depending on what you buy. Parts, and accessories for the AR platform are much more plentiful than Mini parts and accessories, as well.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Mini-14 was cool, I had one and loved to play with it. All my friends loved to shoot it. I traded it in to get my ar-15 and wow I am 100 times happier with that. I can not get my friends off it. I am about to tell them to start buying there own ammo.
Thats a BIG 10-4 on the Bring Your Own Ammo!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Or the operation of an M14? Except it's a .223 rather than a .308, therefore a "mini"? ;)

the mini 30 is 762x39

im serious, if you take a mini14 and a m1 carbine apart they are striking similiar

imo the only 14 qualities is has is that i resembles (kinda) the m14

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
the mini 30 is 762x39

im serious, if you take a mini14 and a m1 carbine apart they are striking similiar

imo the only 14 qualities is has is that i resembles (kinda) the m14
Perhaps a history lesson is in order.

Garand
M1 Carbine
M-14
Mini-14

This quote from an article on Wikipedia should help you.

The M1 carbine bolt mechanism is similar to the M1 Garand rifle, though the carbine has a different gas system and trigger mechanism design. The gas system is a lightweight tappet-and-slide gas system. Initially fed from a 15 round magazine, a 30 round magazine was introduced for the M2.
The very first carbines, those made before mid-1943, were originally equipped with a "V-cut" extractor for removal of the fired round from the chamber. The "V-cut" design was found to be flawed and unreliable. In the field "V-cut" extractors were reground to a straight configuration, which enhanced reliability, until factory production was able to supply the better design.
And then there is this quote from Wikipedia about the Mini-14.

Designed by L. James Sullivan[4] and William B. Ruger, the rifle employs an investment cast, heat-treated receiver and a version of the Garand locking mechanism with a self cleaning, fixed-piston gas system.[5], describes Simple, rugged Garand-style breechbolt locking system, with a fixed-piston gas system and self-cleaning, moving gas cylinder

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
umm not trying to troll or anything

but have you ever had a mini14 and m1carbine pulled apart next to each other?

i did during preperations for the hurricane evac when i was taking inventory....

if you have them side by side youll see what i mean..

and i appreciate the history lesson, but im well read all the way back to the 30-40 krag

·
Registered
129 Posts
What are the PRACTICAL differences between the Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle and your basic AR15?
Everyone else has covered the accuracy and magazine issues but I'll also add that ergonomics and weapon manipulation during Immediate Action Drills (IAD's) are absolutely superior with the AR platform than the Mini-14, unless you are left handed. For right-handed shooters, magazine changes, malfunction clearances, and the like are much easier and faster with an AR-15. For left-handed shooters, the AR-15 has many ad-on solutions to these problems as well. If you are right-handed, you must reach over or under the weapon with your left hand to actuate the charging handle on a Mini-14 while maintaining a firing grip on the weapon with your right hand. On that note, the pistol grip of the AR platform allows for a much more natural grasp of the weapon than the stock of the Mini-14.

I grew up shooting my Dad's Mini-14 and killed my first rabbit with one when I was 8 years old. I'm in my late 30's now and the Mini-14 platform has eveolved very little in that time. The same cannot be said of the AR-15 and it's numerous variants and manufacturers.

I actually owned a Mini-14 before I had any formal training with rifles and such. With respect to all Mini-14 owners everywhere (and no insult intended), it's a fine, basic, knock-around weapon for amateur plinking. There are several distinct reasons that SWAT teams and most police departments have not used the Mini-14 since the 1980's. No military unit that I am aware of uses the Mini-14. With the Mini-14 you get: poor accuracy, dreadful ergonomics, a limited supply of serviceable magazines, tons of aftermarket magazines that do not work right, lack of modularity or mission-specific tailoring of the rifle. With the AR-15, you get just the opposite of all of these.

If I knew that my life depended on it, I would take an AK-47, H&K G3/53/33, FN FAL, Sig 550/556, and of course the AR-15 over the Mini-14 any day of the week. Come to think of it...I would make the same choice for hog hunting, predator control, or paper punching too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts