Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can everything one needs to know about the AR-15 be found on the Internet? While it is true that the Internet is the best starting point to learn anything about everything and is a great source of consumer opinion (XDTalk being one of the best gun forums to belong to), there is also a wealth of copyrighted material on the AR-15. I am talking about AR-15 books. I guess I am old school, but I have found lots of reliable AR-15 information in books. I have read several and can recommend a few.

"The M16A1 Rifle, Operation and Preventive Maintenance", DA Pam 750-30, 1 July 1969, illustrated by Will Eisner. Known as the "Comic Book", this pamphlet from the Vietnam War was issued to combat soldiers to correct the misperception that the new black rifle did not require routine cleaning and maintenance. The illustrations are highly amusing with a sexy blond narrator, yet highly informative. Will Eisner is known as the originator of the graphic novel and just recently passed away. This can be found at gun shows. Someone (illegally?) has a scanned version available on the Internet, but I prefer reading the pamphlet in its original form. Can be found at gun shows.

"Preventive Maintenance, The M16A1 Rifle", US Army Armor School, LD 1885-O-Army-Knox-Apr 77-25C. The lesser known follow up to the first pamphlet with the same artist (uncredited this time), now with a sexy afro-wearing babe to accompany the blond. Lots of tips about corrosion and rust frozen vulnerable areas, obviously due to the M16 experience in the jungles of 'Nam. As this one is less well known yet even more informative, it may be more collectable.

"Operator's manual for M16A2", Army TM 9-1005-319-10, Oct 1998. This USGI manual is included with Rock River Arms LAR-15's. Pocket sized and official, it is very good. It lacks depth in some areas as the manual is intended to allow a soldier to keep his weapon running smoothly, but does not show how to strip and reassemble the lower (for example).

"The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide", by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee. An in depth assembly manual down to the smallest detail, packed with sage advice and cautions. Shows how to use the proper tools. Better than any Internet source (I have seen) on AR-15 building.

"The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide", by Walt Kuleck with Scott Duff. Companion book to the assembly guide, packed with information not to be found on the Internet. Great reading for any AR-15 owner.

"The AR-15", volumes 1 and 2, by Patrick Sweeney. A noted gun writer and gunsmith, he requested examples of AR-15's from all the manufacturers and extensively evaluated all those received. If you want to see how your brand fared, read these books. Also includes very good general information, advice, and recommendations from a gunsmith's perspective.

"The M16/AR15 Rifle, A Shooter's and Collector's Guide", by Joe Poyer. Very good description of the development and history of the M16/AR15, also with a part-by-part analysis.

"The Complete Guide to AR-15 Accuracy", by Derrick Martin & Barrett Tillman. Not related to the other "complete guides" mentioned, it details match shooting technique and in depth tuning/technical issues from a competitor's perspective.

If you have other book recommendations, please post. I am always looking for more reading material.

P.S. I am not trying to prove that I know everything. I definitely do not. I know a lot less than many of you. But I am always trying to read more. Please try to keep this topic a recommended AR-15 book reading list. I don't need any links to AR15.com, I've got those. Also please do not disparage these authors unfairly, as I mention their names only to help forum members look up these books. Of course, if you have read these books, feel free to critique them.

·
Registered
905 Posts
"The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide", by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee. An in depth assembly manual down to the smallest detail, packed with sage advice and cautions. Shows how to use the proper tools. Better than any Internet source (I have seen) on AR-15 building.
I have this book (vol.2)and like it very much.
Thanks for the booklist, I need to expand my books on this subject.

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
Green Eyes and Black Rifles: Warriors Guide to the Combat Carbine by Kyle Lamb has been a decent reference for me. Lots of good stuff from a guy who has been in "the stuff".

As a PS my wife got me a Viking Tactical (Lamb's company) sling for my AR. Very nice.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone started a thread saying they were completely lost when it comes to AR's but wants to build one from scratch using advice from the Internet. Instead of doing that, there are more informative and definitive books on the subject. I own and have read all of these to maintain my collection of quality, no compromise AR's. Knowing how to properly install a match trigger is an asset. Knowing how to assemble from a stripped lower is highly over-rated. I would not trust my life on an AR some novice assembled in his kitchen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts