• Remington 700 Tactical

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
It has been sometime since my last post, here is my delema.
I want to get in to long range shooting, 100-200 ish yards mainly because I would like to start hunting and that is a tacitcool area i have not yet explored.

So I need a rifle to learn on, The savage MKII G is a ~$200 bolt action 22 with iron sights and space to mount a scope.
I think we all know what an AR-15 is, I would like the M4 style with a flat top.

My ultimate goal is a Rem 700 Tactical 20" barrel in .308 win

My thinking is that the AR 15 will kill 2 birds with one stone.

voice your opinions

Thanks!

·
Registered
29,588 Posts
For learning fundamentals, it's hard to beat a .22.

However...anything over 100 yards with a .22 is a stretch. It can be done, and there are a few people who do it...but if you try and start out there, you'll be disappointed. Start at 25 yards and work your way out from there.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I shoot mainly 50 yrds with my ruger 77/22. I have shot 100 yrds with some decent results.

Sniper's Hide is a good forum for long range shooting

a guy there shoots 250 yrds with his savage mark ll.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
For learning fundamentals, it's hard to beat a .22.

However...anything over 100 yards with a .22 is a stretch. It can be done, and there are a few people who do it...but if you try and start out there, you'll be disappointed. Start at 25 yards and work your way out from there.
Actually anything over 100 yards with a .22 simulates long range shooting with a high power rifle pretty well.

Making hits at 200 yards with a .22LR is like shooting at 500 with a .308.

The .22 LR is a great understudy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts