Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is probably totally normal and completely explainable, but I'm a paranoid motherf'er so I naturally take this as being something weird.

My weapon is a 16" DPMS AR-15 Carbine, not M4-style.

My buttstock is a 6-position abjustable stock, I like to keep it at 4th position since it's primary role is not as an indoor gun, but a fast-reaction outdoor gun.

I was playing with the gun earlier and had adjusted the buttstock all the way out because I was doing some bench-shooting.

After my range-day was over, I came home, loaded a whole 30-rd PMAG full of Hordany TAP ballistic tip rounds... then I try to adjust my buttstock back to where I like it... but when I finally got my ****ty DPMS buttstock to get in position, I gave it a VERY (and I seriously do mean VERY) light slap on the back to make sure that the stock caught firm;y into the notch it was supposed to be into. All of a sudden "CHINK"...

... OK... mag out... pull charging handle... and a f**king round ejects from the chamber. What the F**K?! It chambered a round all by itrself?

... THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

I did a couple more experiments (unloaded and without magazine) just to make sure this wasn't my fault or just the magazine's faults.

1. When I hold the unloaded rifle (mag or not) and give it a light tap on the buttstock just to make sure it's locked into position, the bolt snaps closed and chambers a round. F**K that...
2. I clear the weapon and lock the bolt back... I give my Suresight rail-mounted flashlight a tap because I just changed the batteries and it still wouldn;t light up... needless to say, I tapped the flashlight, and the bolt flew forward, scared t he S**T outta me and would have chambered a round (If I didn't unload it first) and would have possibly slam-fired a round right next to my head if I hadn't unloaded the gun first...

The hell do I do about this?!

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I am by all means NOT even close to being well versed in the AR. But to me, it sounds like either you have a bad bolt catch or a weak buffer spring. Sounds to me like the buffer spring (being weak) is not putting enough pressure on the bolt catch. When you tap it from the back (the AR) it sounds like it is releasing the pressure on the bolt catch and the bolt carrier group is then moving forward to chamber a round.

Is this a new rifle or did you buy it used? And is it the original buffer spring or was it replaced. May not be the correct spring for the buttstock.

Hell, I don't know. I am sure someone will be along to tell you what it is and tell me I don't know jack. :lol:

Just giving something to think about since it is early in the morning.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
COMPLETELY NORMAL!!! When you don't have an empty mag seated in the rifle, the follower is not there to hold up the bolt catch. When you hit the buttstock, the BCG drops enough into the buffer tube to allow the bolt catch to drop, allowing the the bolt to come back forward.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I hope you realize that the AR-15 platform is based on a war weapon, and doesn't have all the "safeties" found on standard civilian weapons.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
This is probably totally normal and completely explainable, but I'm a paranoid motherf'er so I naturally take this as being something weird.

My weapon is a 16" DPMS AR-15 Carbine, not M4-style.

My buttstock is a 6-position abjustable stock, I like to keep it at 4th position since it's primary role is not as an indoor gun, but a fast-reaction outdoor gun.

I was playing with the gun earlier and had adjusted the buttstock all the way out because I was doing some bench-shooting.

After my range-day was over, I came home, loaded a whole 30-rd PMAG full of Hordany TAP ballistic tip rounds... then I try to adjust my buttstock back to where I like it... but when I finally got my ****ty DPMS buttstock to get in position, I gave it a VERY (and I seriously do mean VERY) light slap on the back to make sure that the stock caught firm;y into the notch it was supposed to be into. All of a sudden "CHINK"...

... OK... mag out... pull charging handle... and a f**king round ejects from the chamber. What the F**K?! It chambered a round all by itrself?

... THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

I did a couple more experiments (unloaded and without magazine) just to make sure this wasn't my fault or just the magazine's faults.

1. When I hold the unloaded rifle (mag or not) and give it a light tap on the buttstock just to make sure it's locked into position, the bolt snaps closed and chambers a round. F**K that...
2. I clear the weapon and lock the bolt back... I give my Suresight rail-mounted flashlight a tap because I just changed the batteries and it still wouldn;t light up... needless to say, I tapped the flashlight, and the bolt flew forward, scared t he S**T outta me and would have chambered a round (If I didn't unload it first) and would have possibly slam-fired a round right next to my head if I hadn't unloaded the gun first...

The hell do I do about this?!
It wouldn't have slam-fired, as all you did was load one in the chamber.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
It's normal. I've done that to all the service rifles I've been issued, including one that came straight out of the loading truck transporting them to us from the manufacturer. As soon as we get em we usually just smack the end of the butt stock and let the bolt go forward. Not the most economical motion but it gets the job done. It's ok as long as you have the weapon pointed in a safe direction and the safety is on.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Samf is right. What's happening is normal on an AR, everyone I've handled has done the same thing. As was said, it's just momentarily taking the BCG's pressure off of the bolt catch allowing it to drop. That results in the BCG slamming home.

The only way it would fire doing that is if you've got some bad parts or have your finger on the trigger.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Although mostly normal I would say a very light tap causing it to close isn't, you can try to swap your bolt release spring. The one you have may be getting weak.

Out of curiosity, do you have an extra power buffer spring in it? That may cause it too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts