Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with the new AR15-like rifles out there that are coming in .22 LR? I'm talking about the S&W, Colt, and Ruger (even though it's only AR15-like).

How do they group? How about reliability? Cleanability?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I got my kid an m&p 15-22 6-7 years ago. He loves it. Mag is a bit tricky, the rounds can and will nose down in it while loading and cause feed issues. As long as you pay attention when loading the mag it’s fairly reliable. Doesn’t like Remington golden bullets either. Back when they sold the bucket o bullets for fairly cheap, bought one, and the gun don’t run it. Runs cci no issue though.kid does fairly decent groups with it as well. I put a cheapo scope on it, and he hits steel at 300 at one of the ranges out here. We have to verify the hit with a spotting scope, as we couldn’t hear it, but he was hitting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my kid an m&p 15-22 6-7 years ago. He loves it. Mag is a bit tricky, the rounds can and will nose down in it while loading and cause feed issues. As long as you pay attention when loading the mag it’s fairly reliable. Doesn’t like Remington golden bullets either. Back when they sold the bucket o bullets for fairly cheap, bought one, and the gun don’t run it. Runs cci no issue though.kid does fairly decent groups with it as well. I put a cheapo scope on it, and he hits steel at 300 at one of the ranges out here. We have to verify the hit with a spotting scope, as we couldn’t hear it, but he was hitting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the information!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the new AR15-like rifles out there that are coming in .22 LR? I'm talking about the S&W, Colt, and Ruger (even though it's only AR15-like).

How do they group? How about reliability? Cleanability?
don't know what's out today, but in 2009 or so, the S&W mp15 was and is my pick. it's not a conversion, it's .22lr from the ground up but is a perfect training tool. all fire controls are straight AR. i love that rifle.

EDIT: sorry guys didn't read the thread close enough. yeah that mp15 is the bees knees in .22lr. got mine for 499 first month out

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The 15-22 is the best of the .22 ARs. The Colt is a dumpster fire made by Umarex. I loved my 15-22, just didn't get it out enough and there were other things I wanted instead, so traded it away. Still, one of the most fun guns I've ever owned. As reliable as any other semi-auto 22, which is to say, if you have good ammo (CCI mini-mags), you have less problems. If you have shite ammo (pretty much anything Remington), you're gonna have a bad time. Bolt comes out in pretty much one piece for easy cleaning. Lower is identical to an AR lower, except for the solid buffer tube, so it takes all standard AR parts, triggers, etc.

In short, the 15-22 is a fun time. Get one. :)

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I have a Kel-Tec SU-22, it takes the same mags, and looks a bit odd but works well.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I also have an M&P 15-22 that I got several years ago... (just at the time that .22lr was impossible to find anywhere!!!???!!!!) ..... built up a bunch of varying quality ammo.... Rem. bucket of bullets and others. I find the 15-22 is a great "training" rifle, very similar to fit and function to the full size AR rifles. There are people that will argue it isn't exactly the same..... and they are right, it's lighter, a bit different fuction, but IMO it is close enough to do a good job as a less expensive training / plinking rifle. And, while not match rifle accurate, it is accurate enough to help with marksmanship and other firearm training.

Especially thinking you can go out and shoot for hours for a fraction of the cost of a full size caliber AR.... definitely can be a good addition to the stable. In the years since, there are other .22lr version AR's out there, lots of .22lr uppers you can put on your existing AR lower, but IMO, for quality and price and fuction, the S&W 15-22 is a great option! Yes, it does have occasional mis-fires... I blame that on the .22lr round vs the rifle, but it also gives excellent malfunction practice. :)

Total rounds through it? Probably close to 5,000 or more. No telling. Plenty of time at the range putting holes in paper.

I think the Ruger 10/22 and the S&W 15-22 should both be considered to be in anyone's gun cabinet/safe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just remembered…I and a few other guys took a group of 8-11 year old boys out to shoot .22’s. I took a Savage Rascal and CZ Scout, a Rossi RB22, and a Ruger 10-22 takedown in a Magpul stock. The Savage is a single shot bolt gun, the same size as the Cricket, but it’s a real gun, cocks like a normal gun, has a real safety, with an Accutrigger, better sights, and can easily be scoped. Perfect for the smallest kids.

And the M&P. So after a few minutes of shooting the bolt guns and Ruger, I broke it out…and was swarmed!😂. Is that an Army gun? Is that a machine gun? They were excited. The adjustable stock let everyone use it.

The M&P and the Heritage Rough Rider were the hits of the day. The Ruger Wrangler was hard for the kids to cock, but maybe because it’s newer? Bonus about the pistols…they don’t have to work so hard to see through the sights. Kids loved them.

Another thing, I set up a 10” gong at 20 yards….easy to hit, easy to tell you hit it. Angled a lot so nothing came back at us. More early success.👍

·
Registered
169 Posts
I’ve had a couple different MP 15/22’s. Both are still in my stable and have taught all 3 of my grandkids to shoot with ‘em. I’ve heard great things about the Hammerli and the CMMG.
I do have a Mossberg 715t. It is a 702 plinkster in a clamshell polymer AR style stock. Much cheaper and perfect for the kiddos, but if its for you go with the MP.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another vote for the S&W 15-22 here. It's easy to break down for cleaning, and also very customizable for individual taste. Adding a red dot sight really makes it incredibly fast to target.

Whatever you decide, be sure to check out the McFadden speed loader. It's a real thumb saver for high volume high speed 22 magazine loading.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts