Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Windham and m&p 10 caught my eye, but damn they are expensive. Any real reason why an .308 battle rifle would be needed? Only predators I'm worried about walk on two feet. Seems lime for about 1/2 the cost I could get a second ar15 and still have some left for a pistol or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Banned
0 Posts
You could build one on the cheap or check out a 300 blackout upper that you could just swap your lower onto.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Build a 300 blackout AR with a 10.5" barrel and apply for a suppressor and an SBR lower. You'd have about 800 in the gun, 500 in the can, 400 in tax stamps, and some money for a lawyer / trust.

Or you could save a couple hundred dollars and make it a 300 blackout pistol with a Sig brace

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was under the impression 300 blk was not readily available

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I was under the impression 300 blk was not readily available

You won't see it in your local Walmart very much but it's out there. A lot of my LGSs have 300 blackout in stock pretty regularly. A lot of people also reload because it's a pretty simple rifle round.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I am really considering a .308 with PSA's new line of PA-10s

complete uppers for $350 so the whole build would be about $800. I am going back and forth between this and just picking up a KSG for 1k.

What are the ballistics like comparing the .300blk and .308win ?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

complete uppers for $350 so the whole build would be about $800. I am going back and forth between this and just picking up a KSG for 1k.

Ooo.

I'm liking an $800 .308 rifle better than a $1200 rifle.

Anyone heard anything about PSA AR-10s?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts

300 blackout is best suppressed and most effective under 300 yards. 308 can do everything 300 blackout can, and can do it at much farther ranges.

300 blackout uses the same receiver, bolt, and mags as a 223/5.56 AR, you're just looking at a 30 caliber barrel instead of a 22 caliber barrel. The really cool thing about the 300 blackout is that the round was designed to burn all powders in the first 9" of barrel. If you get a 10.5" barrel, it's actually optimized for the round, instead of a traditional SBR 5.56 build, which can be very loud and produce significantly more flash than traditional 5.56 rifles.

If I pull up a factory subsonic round (Corbon Self Defense), its a 220gr JHP with 1040fps at the muzzle at 528ft-lbs of energy. Suppressed, the loudest thing about the gun would be the slam of the BCG against the barrel lugs. Its an easy to reload round as most brass is made from once fired Lake City 5.56 NATO brass which is cut at the shoulder, formed in a sizing die, then trimmed and loaded. Low powder usage (10-12gr approx.) and uses .308" bullets. Compared to a Corbon Self Defense 185gr 45acp at 1150fps and 543ft-lbs of energy. The 300 blackout subsonic is a heavy rifle bullet that travels at pistol speeds which makes it easy to suppress. I've seen some tests in ballistics gel on youtube where the Remington factory load of a 220 Sierra Match King penentrates almost 24" and didn't expand at all... I think with a bullet specifically designed for the 300 blackout like the Barnes TAC-TX would be a good choice, even though it would be considered supersonic.

If you use a AR10 for a HD rifle, good luck ever hearing again, even with a suppressor. However, you're looking at upwards of 2500fps and 2500ft-lbs of energy depending on the load. You risk serious over penetration, but a heavy bullet a longer ranges (think 1000yds max) will be considerably accurate with that kind of speed behind it.

Bottom line: For a rifle that doubles as a home defense tool and one that could take shots at about 300yds and closer, I would go for a 300 blackout with a 10.5" barrel, a solid collapsible stock, a can like AAC's 762-SD, and all applicable NFA stamps. I'd handload supersonic bullets like the 110gr Barnes TAC-TX that I mentioned above, and for target shooting, 220gr Sierra MatchKings for the ultimate quiet fun.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
However, if I wanted a 308 AR, PSA is what i would go for. RRA's 308's go for $1500 on up, and I could build a PSA for right at $1000 using their 18" free float barreled upper and one of their lowers. I don't think I'd want a 16" non-free float for a 308. I believe the 308 was originally designed for a 24-26" barrel, so 18" is about the minimum I would buy for a semi-auto AR setup.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
IMO go PSA but as said 308 in a structure sucks.

18" I doubt (and could be wrong as I've never seen one) that the PSA lock up is going to be good enough to make use of a longer barrel and 16s through a big enough fireball that its no fun.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I was talking with my buddy and he and I think we'd rather have the SR25 pattern over the FAL pattern.... So the PSA is a no go for me.

If I really wanted a 308, I'd reach for a bolt gun.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Ruger Gunsite Scout for bolt action or a PTR 91 for semi auto would be my choices.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Or an M1A because wood is the ****.

The AR action lends them to being easy to build tack drivers though. 'Dem locking lugs yo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ruger Gunsite Scout for bolt action or a PTR 91 for semi auto would be my choices.
The challenge with either one of those is mounting a traditional scope.

The gun site scout requires that you remove the rear sight for a standard eye relief scope, and thats not something you should do if you would bet your life on it.

The PTR requires a claw mount, which is a bit funky, and a little questionable.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
In having owned numerous AR15's over the years, when it came to a 7.62x51, I personally went with a FAL.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My reasoning for getting an AR10.

Longer range.

Better penetration, (turning what is cover for 5.56 into mere concealment!)

Better terminal performance. I READ .308 has as much knockdown power at 1000 yds as a .357 mag has at the muzzle. Can't prove it one way or the other, but a 168 gr .308 slug is dang sure to have more knockdown than a 77 gr 5.56 slug at any range.

Better ergonomics as compared to M1a.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts