Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll start this off by saying I'm very new to any maintenance of the AR platform. Right now I'm having troubles getting the M4 collapsible stock to tighten correctly. The extension tube wants to turn anytime I shoulder the weapon. Is there an easy way to tighten the nut without mangling it? It looks like there is a special wrench to use for these and I don't really want to break out the channel lock pliers or beat on it with a screw driver.

**EDIT @ 8:30pm**

This M4 stock is really aggravating me. With it installed, the bolt won't draw back far enough to lock or chamber a round.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Buy the special wrench. I got mine for $7 off the internet and had the buttstock tightened down in a few seconds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah those wrenchs are cheap, I bought a cheap airsoft knock off from the neighbors kid for 3 dollars it works just as good as the real deal.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the wrenches universal, meaning fitting both .223 and .308 rifles?

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Yes, the nut is the same size.

This is why the nut should be staked, then it wouldn't come loose ;)

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this has opened up an entirely new can of worms. With the M4 stock in place, the bolt won't open up far enough to lock into place or even chamber a round. The buffer detent and spring are seated correctly and everything looks good until I assemble the two halves and attempt to draw back the charging handle. Any ideas?

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
What did you buy?

Did you buy the stock as a kit, meaning the "tube", buffer, and spring came with the stock ?

or did you piece this together ?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the gun slightly used from a gun dealer last week. It came with the A2 stock attached and the M4 stock was in the case with another spring but there is only one buffer. I'm guessing by your response the M4 stock requires a different buffer?

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Yes, the M4 stock setup requires a carbine size buffer, the rifle buffer is too long for the shorter tube. So it and the spring are bottoming out before they are completely into the tube.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that sucks. Thanks for the help too. I guess that I'll just order the Magpul UBR with the buffer and spring and call it a day :p

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
You may have the rifle stock buffer, which is longer. The Carbine buffer is shorter. A carbine stock cap wrench is required. Cheap. Use a little dab of blue Loctite on the threads. Enjoy. HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
I was rechecking my posts because of recent mental lapses (old) and about the only thing I can add is that "is it possible"? you MAY also have the wrong buffer spring?

The rifle spring is also longer. Finally, if you do have a CAR buffer (shorter) and a CAR buffer spring (also shorter) look and see if you have a high quality spring.

Sometimes the supplier simply cuts coils off a rifle spring to make it into a carbine spring. Look at your spring and see if each end is ground flat and not simply cut off.

I don't currently own an AR-15. Some help here from others please; is it possible his bolt group doesn't bottom properly because the "rifle" spring is too long and coil binding?

This person doesn't remember, but it kinda rings a bell when we experimented trying different combination of parts to see what would work...and what wouldn't. HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks but this has been taken care of now. The buffer was too long and I ordered a Magpul UBR :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts