Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting mixed reviews here in GA about carrying an ASP Baton. Do you or do you know of anyone that carries an ASP Baton along with their sidearm?

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
be careful, i dont know your local laws but if im not mistaken they're illegal to carry in some places.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I don't mean to nitpick, but it's an ASP, not APS!

·
Registered
509 Posts
People fail to do the obvious, just call the local Sheriffs or Troopers office. They are usually very helpful and open.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I'm getting mixed reviews here in GA about carrying an APS Baton. Do you or do you know of anyone that carries an APS Baton along with their sidearm?

Like others have stated, call your local Sherrif's office and/or check your local criminal code.

Let me add this: An Asp (or any baton) is just a metal stick unless you are trained to use one. A metal stick can be an effective defensive tool but you really need to know how to use an Asp without having it taken from you and used to beat you to death. You also need to know how to bring someone down with it without killing them or hurting them to the degree it would be considered deadly force.

In short, if it is legal, take a class.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't mean to nitpick, but it's an ASP, not APS!
Yep, I appreciate your indulgence as I simply typoed that. :p

People fail to do the obvious, just call the local Sheriffs or Troopers office. They are usually very helpful and open.
That's essentially what I'll have to do. A deputy sheriff mentioned in a thread that he didn't care if someone carried one, however he doesn't speak for all law enforcement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like others have stated, call your local Sherrif's office and/or check your local criminal code.

Let me add this: An Asp (or any baton) is just a metal stick unless you are trained to use one. A metal stick can be an effective defensive tool but you really need to know how to use an Asp without having it taken from you and used to beat you to death. You also need to know how to bring someone down with it without killing them or hurting them to the degree it would be considered deadly force.

In short, if it is legal, take a class.
There are several training facilities here in Atlanta. The courses that are taught appear to be geared more towards Security or Law Enforcement personnel, which would probably entail giving them a call too. The essence of the thread was to see if others were possibly carrying an ASP Baton.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
There are several training facilities here in Atlanta. The courses that are taught appear to be geared more towards Security or Law Enforcement personnel, which would probably entail giving them a call too. The essence of the thread was to see if others were possibly carrying an ASP Baton.
I carry one at work from time to time, depending on the assignment, and they have their place. I wouldn't carry one in place of a firearm for civilian purposes. The problem with a baton is that most people wield them with their "strong" hand which is also their holster side hand. Any (civilian) situation that I feel would merit me pulling a baton would also merit pulling a firearm so I'd go there first. I guess it is good for close quarters if you run out of ammo or have a malfunction but I can't imagine the likelihood of needing an Asp would merit carrying it's weight. Save that space for a spare mag.

Asp batons are good in situations where crowd control issues give you multiple targets that collectively offer a deadly situation but individually don't merit being shot. A gun is good for shooting multiple people. A tazer is good for stopping one person without lethal force. A baton is good for stopping multiple people with less-lethal force. A CCWer isn't likely to encounter situations like that in normal day to day activity.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
I'm getting mixed reviews here in GA about carrying an ASP Baton. Do you or do you know of anyone that carries an ASP Baton along with their sidearm?

I do.

So what exactly are you asking about?

I do Not like my Asp.
I carry an Autolock.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts