Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just wanted to share with you guys my sad story. I recieved my big dot ao sight today and I tried to install them on my Sub XD 9mm. The rear sight install went smooth, but the front I couldn't say the same. I was almost done, just banging the last few millimeters in until the front post broke.

IT ****ING BROKE.

So I banged out just the base of the front sight and crazy glued the front back on in desperation.

What do you guys think? Will this front sight stay on? Or will it fly off as soon as I start shooting?

Think the company will send me a replacement? Maybe I can make'em feel sorry for me?

Alright...you guys are my support system, thank you all for listening.

·
Registered
87 Posts
get it done right....i would hate to think that there is glue on my gun.

also. if the sights are off, u will not hit your target. period.

get new sights installed by a professional.

my .02

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya, but the sights aren't off .. the lines are cut into the slide so its easy to line it up.

I just hate that I wasted 60 bucks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine were hard as hell to put on also! I'd have to say contact the manufacturer and maybe they'll sell you just the front sight. Then, have someone install it for you. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I vote it will fly off.
Install with the the dovetail, not the blade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
XDSC said:
Mine were hard as hell to put on also! I'd have to say contact the manufacturer and maybe they'll sell you just the front sight. Then, have someone install it for you. Sorry.
Good idea, maybe they'll show some sympathy. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There are a few "tricks" that can make sight installation a lot easier. First, sight dovetails are held in place with an "interference fit" meaning the site is bigger than the groove. Some are bigger than others and will require a small amount of fitting. Try pushing a new site into the groove by finger. It should start and go partway in..no more than 1/4. If it's too tight, loosen it up slightly by sliding the site bottom on a piece of wet/dry sandpaper placed on a hard FLAT block. It only takes a little. Check it often since it's much easier to remove a little more than it is to put it back!
Second, use a dry lube but only if it's pretty tight. (Locktite if it's snug)
Third, warm the slide but leave the sight cold.
Fourth, front sights are usually broken off because the tool slipped off of the base edge and whacked the post. I use a very large brass drift pin that I grind the tip on to match the job.
Finally, the slide needs to be very steady. Clamp it in a vise. (Padded jaws)
For tough jobs, I use my massive slide clamp/sight press.

Of course, the easiest way to swap your sights is to send it to us to have our Tuff-Gun finish applied to the slide. We'll swap the sites while we have it here.

Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com[/url]

·
Registered
453 Posts
st61980 said:
Hey all,

Just wanted to share with you guys my sad story. I recieved my big dot ao sight today and I tried to install them on my Sub XD 9mm. The rear sight install went smooth, but the front I couldn't say the same. I was almost done, just banging the last few millimeters in until the front post broke.

IT ****ING BROKE.

So I banged out just the base of the front sight and crazy glued the front back on in desperation.

What do you guys think? Will this front sight stay on? Or will it fly off as soon as I start shooting?

Think the company will send me a replacement? Maybe I can make'em feel sorry for me?

Alright...you guys are my support system, thank you all for listening.
Duct tape? :D

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
No advice for you. I just wanted to say thanks to Mac for monitoring this forum. I have heard nice things said about your company from some of the members here before and it's always good to get some advice from the experts.

Good luck on your sight problem st61980.

·
Registered
233 Posts
There are a few "tricks" that can make sight installation a lot easier. First, sight dovetails are held in place with an "interference fit" meaning the site is bigger than the groove. Some are bigger than others and will require a small amount of fitting. Try pushing a new site into the groove by finger. It should start and go partway in..no more than 1/4. If it's too tight, loosen it up slightly by sliding the site bottom on a piece of wet/dry sandpaper placed on a hard FLAT block. It only takes a little. Check it often since it's much easier to remove a little more than it is to put it back!
Second, use a dry lube but only if it's pretty tight. (Locktite if it's snug)
Third, warm the slide but leave the sight cold.
Fourth, front sights are usually broken off because the tool slipped off of the base edge and whacked the post. I use a very large brass drift pin that I grind the tip on to match the job.
Finally, the slide needs to be very steady. Clamp it in a vise. (Padded jaws)
For tough jobs, I use my massive slide clamp/sight press.

Of course, the easiest way to swap your sights is to send it to us to have our Tuff-Gun finish applied to the slide. We'll swap the sites while we have it here.

Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com[/url]
Mac,

Just making sure you're still around... I'd like to do my XD slide in Gray, but was wondering if you had a pic? I'd like to see what it may look like... Also, you'll swap my Heine's in for free? Sounds like a great deal! What's the turn-around time? Will you do the slide on my Para P12 as well? How would you like me to ship -- FedEx or USPS? Please let me know. Thanks!

-Fyr

·
Premium Member
5,749 Posts
Mac hasn't signed on since March of last year. You might try going through his web site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts